1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 3:43 PM by coastalmedia Branched to a new discussion.

After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available: many fixes to previews and more: http://adobe.ly/1Il5JYe

• 1. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That blog post points to the known issues post. Are you planning to update that known issues post with info from this current one?

• 2. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you check the advanced options and set Creative Cloud to keep previous versions if that's what you want. Most do. It's set to delete all previous versions by default.

• 3. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> That blog post points to the known issues post. Are you planning to update that known issues post with info from this current one?

Yep. Updating the known issues post now.

• 4. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Make sure you check the advanced options and set Creative Cloud to keep previous versions if that's what you want. Most do. It's set to delete all previous versions by default.

Good point, Rick, but that shouldn't be an issue with the minor version updates; they shouldn't trigger the automatic removal of previous versions the way that the major version installers do.

That said, I do advise everyone to read this:

keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications

• 5. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                  Vinay Dwivedi Adobe Employee

Yes, that's true, point update(s) do not alter any of the previous versions installed on the machine.

//Vinay

• 6. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mine was set to remove so I unchecked it. Then before all the updates were installed I received a notice that the CC app had an update. I re-booted and am installing the new CC app. Very confusing and scary to see that remove previous versions box selected.

• 7. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                      lartifice Level 1

Unless I've missed it there still doesn't seem to be any way of preventing AE from mixing the audio for the entire comp (muting audio / preview muted etc.) before starting on the video.  Grr.

• 8. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Unless I've missed it there still doesn't seem to be any way of preventing AE from mixing the audio for the entire comp (muting audio / preview muted etc.) before starting on the video.  Grr.

We're working on a more streaming-like model for audio for our next update.

• 9. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                          lartifice Level 1

Do you know when that might be?  It's pretty much unusable for a lot of my work (voice and music-led) because of this, though it's no problem to stick with 2014 for the time being.

• 10. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The next update will be sometime in the early fall, most likely.

• 11. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                              shawn2d2

Hello, is this update still reverse compatible with CC 2014 if you want to work back and forth between the two applications?

Thank you,

Shawn

• 12. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Yes, After Effects 13.5.x projects are the same format as After Effects 13.0.x, 13.1.x, and 13.2 projects.

• 14. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                  tija98869601

i want to know if i upgrade to 13.15.1 do i lose my setting and plugins already installed on 13.5.0?

and thanks

• 15. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

Hi,

You can upgrade to 13.5.1 without loosing all the settings and plugins.

//Vinay

• 16. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

It depends what version you are upgrading from.   If you want my advice do not update...2015 is broken, even after the bug fix.   I'd like to know who thought this new preview system was necessary.   To have AE be able to continue caching whilst doing something else would be fine....but it is completely unnecessary to be able to preview (with audio) while fiddling around with something else.   Also with this new fix I can no longer render audio file formats.   I will submit a bug report when I have the time...I've other things to do than be forced to partake in beta testing.  Epic Fail

• 17. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                        NauhFX

How do I get the update?

It doesn't show up in the creative cloud app and After effects help menu -> updates... doesn't achieve anything either.

• 18. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

NauhFX wrote:

How do I get the update?

It doesn't show up in the creative cloud app and After effects help menu -> updates... doesn't achieve anything either.

Sign out of your Creative Cloud app and then sign back in again. If you're updating from CC 2014, make sure you choose the Advanced options in the CC app to keep your old versions! keeping previous versions installed when installing CC 2015 applications | After Effects region of interest

• 19. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                            NauhFX Level 1

Thanks a lot Szalam

That worked great!

• 20. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                              Emilian Dechev Level 1

I cannot get the update.

I am running a 13.5.0.347 version of AE.

The help - update method cannot find the 13.5.1

The creative cloud also cannot find the 13.5.1
                                              I says, that AE is up to date, but it isnt.

Is there a way to download the setup files and install it manually? Thanks.

• 21. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

Hi Emilian,

Please check the below KB document and try the steps suggested.

CC desktop lists applications as "Up to Date" when not installed

//Vinay

• 22. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                  Emilian Dechev Level 1

Thanks but reinstalling AE does not seem to fix the problem. I am sure there is a possibility of getting the setup files and installing them offline. I have done this before, as I recall, I needed to find the folder where the update stores the files and copy them from:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Adobe\AAMUpdater\1.0\Install

• 24. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                    Emilian Dechev Level 1

Thanks for the links, these seem golden!

Unfortunately, the update failed. It says "this patch is not applicable for you". I tried to re-install the app, but no luck. It seems there is something wrong within my system.

The whole reason I wanted this update is, because the warp stabilizer tool is messed up. My only solution for now seems to go back to CC 2014.

• 25. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                      coastalmedia Level 1

I have this version installed but somehow still have most of the bugs listed that this update was supposed to correct?

Screen Shot 2015-08-27 at 10.38.31 am.png

It's rather worrying that Adobe would release CC2015 at all considering in their own article;

" But because several bugs remain present After Effects CC 2015 that cause the preview frame rate to slow down during user interaction, even when the preview is playing back cached frames, we decided that hearing some audio is better than the audio dropping out. We will continue work on these bugs for a future update."

What's with that Todd? Everybody's already paying subscription, so it doesn't matter if the software works anymore, let's just release it anyways???

• 26. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                        Gutter-Fish Level 4

There are two types of CC customers.  Those who freak out if they don't get a new version every year and cry that they're being robbed and threaten to cancel their subscription.   And the second type,  who would be perfectly happy updating to stable versions every 2 or 3 years.   Unfortunately Adobe chooses to cater to the first  type of customer and we all suffer for it...to boot it doesn't stop the first type of customer from complaining.  

• 27. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                          Emilian Dechev Level 1

Well I am a 3-rd type of customer - I just want to use the warp stabilizer. CC 2015 is a pain. CC 2014 is perfect for that.

Oh and on a side note, there is another bug that "bugs" me in the 13.5.0 version - the "scrubbing audio causes the CTI and PTI to disappear".

Supposedly that is also fixed in the 13.5.1.  Too bad I cannot update anyway.

• 28. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

Gutter-Fish wrote:

There are two types of CC customers.  Those who freak out if they don't get a new version every year and cry that they're being robbed and threaten to cancel their subscription.   And the second type,  who would be perfectly happy updating to stable versions every 2 or 3 years.   Unfortunately Adobe chooses to cater to the first  type of customer and we all suffer for it...to boot it doesn't stop the first type of customer from complaining.  

I would disagree with you a bit. I think the current model can please both types. Adobe releases a new version and folks who want the yearly updates can jump on it while the others just sit back with versions that work fine on their systems. You can wait for a couple of years until a version comes along that you're happy with using. The great thing about the Creative Cloud model is that you can install any and all versions you would like. Even if you're the slow and steady type, you can try out new versions that come along and see if they fit your workflow and if they're stable on your system. Previously, you'd have to pay thousands of dollars to upgrade and HOPE that the new version worked on your systems. Now, you can just try it.

A lot of people seem to think that the Creative Cloud subscription means they need to use the latest version because that's "what they're paying for", but it isn't; we're all just paying to use After Effects (and the rest of the suite) - it's up to us to decide what version of the software works best for us!

In my case, I work in CC 2015 (because I haven't run into any show stopping bugs with it yet), but I use CC 2014 to render because most of my comps can utilize multiprocessing (which isn't present in CC 2015).

That being said, I agree with the underlying sentiment of your post that it would be nice if they only released software when it was ready instead of being held to a particular release schedule. I kinda figured the CC model would free them from that sort of release date deadline stuff, but apparently that's not how it's going to be.

• 29. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                              coastalmedia Level 1

"Adobe releases a new version and folks who want the yearly updates can jump on it while the others just sit back with versions that work fine on their systems."

The last version that I remember "working fine" with very little gripes was CS6. Which is not an option for anything above Mavericks OS - as far as I'm aware. CC2014 was pretty good until they released the "headache" blue...

I had to re-install CC2014 the other day because a particular project just wouldn't work in CC2015 - and for whatever reason CC installed the version with yellow highlights, and it was like a breath of fresh air. SO MUCH EASIER for my already crappy eyes that stare at screens all day everyday! Adobe's solution to so much negative feedback on the blue, let users choose a different shade of blue! Just give us back the yellow and admit you screwed it Adobe!!! I'm of the opinion, if it ain't broke....

• 30. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                Gutter-Fish Level 4

Agreed.   I just like to generalize life into two categories:  "people like me" & "people not like me". 

• 31. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                  Gutter-Fish Level 4
                                                                  Well I am a 3-rd type of customer

That's not possible because there are only two types    Just kidding.     My post was really just a misdirected plea to Adobe to quit it with the annual releases.  

• 32. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                    adamneer Level 2

I'm all for the annual releases actually, because I feel that if I'm continually paying for something, it should continually be updated with new features.  With anything else on a payment schedule, you eventually reach an end to said payments, and the item is all yours to keep forever.  This is no longer so with Adobe products, so I do believe they owe us CC members more than simple stability fixes.  That being said, I completely agree with you that the new preview system is absolutely the most obnoxious, poorly implemented "feature" I've even seen.  I have tried several times to get used to it, but I always go back to 2014 because it just doesn't work the way a preview engine should.  Start. Stop.  There should be nothing in between these two.  I also agree with Szalam, in that Adobe should not be releasing unfinished products simply because it is "time".  AE CC2015 feels very much like a beta, and not a very good one at that.  And I'm likely to stick with 2014 indefinitely, if they keep the current preview functionality in future releases.

• 33. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

But if you think about...prior to the subscriptiuon service the creative suite was around $7,000.   and about $1,000 for a version upgrade.   So for $50 a month it take around 10 years before you were paying more than you would have paid for creative suite.

And if you figure the possibility that you may have upgraded for $1,000 two or three times over that time you're talking about 15 years of subscription before you're "not getting what you paid for".

Also CC has only been out for about 2 years and maybe Adobe will make changes to the rules once they have 15 year subscribers...either way I feel like it's too soon to say we aren't getting what we paid for if we don't get yearly updates.

One change I think they should make now (besides not giving into pressure to release yearly updates) is a better single application subscriptions.

I think if I ever feel like I'm not getting a product worth $50 a month I should remember that $50 a month is the what I'd pay for basic cable. 

How is 50 channels of vapid garbage worth $50 a month but access to Adobes entire line of softwares,  the use of which enables me to pay my rent and bills not worth it if I don't get new versions every 300 dys?

Call me crazy but even if they never released another upgrade (after one that works properly) I would still happily pay them $50 a month.

There were some people out there demanding refunds because they were having to use software "outdated" by 30 days.   That type of behavior is what's pressuring Adobe to release unfinished software in the first place.

To me those people DO have buggy software problems...unfortunately it's hardwired and cannot be patched.   

• 34. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                        adamneer Level 2

That argument may be true for some, but I have to assume many subscribers have absolutely no need to access the entire CC collection.  To me, it seems rather unfair that I should pay the same monthly subscription as someone who needs every single app, and the single app subscription prices are a joke in comparison.  I believe many users who formerly purchased the smaller suites (such as the Production Premium Suite) are now paying for more than they need, and this is where the need for increased product value comes in.  And I'm not sure where you got your figures from, because the full CS6 Master Suite was/is $2,599; nowhere near $7,000.  Also, it is not entirely analogous to say that $50/month for CC is justified in comparison to a basic cable subscription, given that service providers are nearly monopolistic (not that Adobe products aren't the same in this way) so they can charge basically whatever they want and the step up to a better cable package is a much better value.  It is a slippery slope saying that one monopolistic product is worth its price because another monopolistic product is the same.  Now, I do agree that the finicky customers complaining of lost wages and demanding refunds for partial month's updates are ridiculous, but at the same time, this is what happens when you market a product aggressively and then release a substandard product.  CC2015 in my eyes is substandard.  I also fear that many of the newer features being added to the suite are pure marketing gimmicks, with far too much focus on "collaboration" and "sharing" as if every creative is working for some hippy startup that has yoga meetings every day and no one ever starts and finishes a project on their own.  What's sad about this is that the basic cloud synced setting still don't work properly and the whole "upload settings" or "download settings" menu option makes it far too easy to accidentally overwrite your custom settings to the defaults.  I think I'm getting off-track here, so my main point here is that CC subscribers are all unique in their needs, and Adobe should do a better job of balancing stability improvements with all-around product improvements, while avoiding premature releases for the sake or marketing. 

• 35. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                          Gutter-Fish Level 4

I don't know why I thought it was $7,000..I must be mixing memories again.  Anyway I fully agree that they should have better options for people who only need two or three apps.  Adobe has been the leader for a long time...maybe their reign is over.  Also I wasn't saying that CC is worth $50 a month because that's what cable costs.  I was saying that as long as the service is earning me way more money than it's costing me I'm ok with it, or more accurately that I'm fine with the current situation, but that can change...and if it does then so will I.

• 36. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                            coastalmedia Level 1

"I also agree with Szalam, in that Adobe should not be releasing unfinished products simply because it is "time".  AE CC2015 feels very much like a beta, and not a very good one at that.  And I'm likely to stick with 2014 indefinitely, if they keep the current preview functionality in future releases."

ABSOLUTELY! It really highlights the question, WHO exactly IS beta testing this stuff?

I can't think anybody in the pro user realm would be for the new render system.

And also, more seriously, who would think it's a good thing to lose hours work in messing about with a new, dodgy Adobe update, every time Adobe releases an update.....

• 37. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available

coastalmedia wrote:

I can't think anybody in the pro user realm would be for the new render system.

As a professional user, I'm very excited about the new render system...when it's fully ready. The AE team asked the community whether we want them to work on whizz-bang new features or to focus on improving how AE runs on the core level. Overwhelmingly, the response was to overhaul AE. The thing is, CC2015 is only a first step towards that final architecture. So, as a pro user, I'm excited for where it's going. I can see hints in this new version (the interface is much, much snappier) and I'm glad. Would I use this renderer in production now? No. I work in CC 2015 and then open that project file in CC 2014 to render. The old multiprocessing renderer was pretty poopy, so I'm glad they're replacing it, even if it takes a while.

coastalmedia wrote:

And also, more seriously, who would think it's a good thing to lose hours work in messing about with a new, dodgy Adobe update, every time Adobe releases an update.....

That is an excellent question. Some people got really mad and were complaining about lost work and I was just sitting there thinking, "who updates a production machine within the first month of a release?" I mean, even if you did go to the new version, you could install it alongside older versions (or if you wiped it out, you can still download old versions too), so...just use the old version if the new one's not working for you and wait for any issues to be fixed.

• 38. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                                coastalmedia Level 1

Szalam wrote:

That is an excellent question. Some people got really mad and were complaining about lost work and I was just sitting there thinking, "who updates a production machine within the first month of a release?" I mean, even if you did go to the new version, you could install it alongside older versions (or if you wiped it out, you can still download old versions too), so...just use the old version if the new one's not working for you and wait for any issues to be fixed.

You're right. And I agree...
                                                                                However, I would retort;
                                                                                "Why should we have to?"
                                                                                and;
                                                                                "Why is Adobe content on releasing sub-standard software?"

Unfortunately, the answer is Adobe's already getting paid.
                                                                                So screw it, they'll just release whatever buggy, ridiculous update because people are already paying for it, no matter whether it's a total screw up or not. This is my gripe with the CC system.

Szalam wrote:

Overwhelmingly, the response was to overhaul AE. The thing is, CC2015 is only a first step towards that final architecture

I can't understand the logic behind this. I mean, yes some "new school" features are cool and all. But why can't Adobe work on that in the background, and release it when it's done?
                                                                                What is beta testing even for if essentially Adobe is releasing broken versions to the masses. At the expense of our time and productivity Adobe is essentially using us all as beta testers now.

If i wanted to test buggy, beta level software, i would've signed up for it.

Rant over

• 39. Re: After Effects CC 2015 (13.5.1) bug-fix update available
                                                                                  adamneer Level 2

You must not be using a Wacom tablet if you are seeing a snappier interface.  For me, the interface has been drastically slower, as my keyframes now stick to my pointer head on almost every click.  Previously, this was an occasional occurrence, most likely attributed to comps with many layer and hundreds of visible keyframes.  In 2015, it doesn't matter if there are 20 layers or 2, the keyframes will stick ~80% of the time.  I was excited for the speed increase in expression handling, but I rely heavily on my Wacom for precise and quick manipulation in AE, and when you add in the horrible, unpredictable Play/Play/Pause behavior of the spacebar, you get an interface that feels like it is purposely toying with your patience.  (Intuos 5 if anyone was curious - drivers perpetually up to date)

1 2 Previous Next