14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 3:56 AM by manjunathk23388540

Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?

Ryan Chamley

Really confused as to why a machine as powerful as ours is struggling to keep up with even the most mundane renders.

Specs below: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

• 1. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please explain in more detail what's in your comp, what your render settings are, etc. Has the composition accidentally been set to use the ray-traced renderer?

Also, try it in CC 2014 and note any differences in rendering speed.

• 2. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
            dissidently Level 1

The renderer isn't using your GPU at all, and the CPU part of the new renderer is basically broken in 2015.

Szalam knows much about this than most. But won't willingly admit to anything like this.

• 3. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?

I say all the time that the GPU isn't being used in AE.

And I have mentioned many times that I recommend working in CC 2015 and then opening the project file in CC 2014 to render. The renderer in CC 2015 isn't broken though. It's just that multiprocessing hasn't been added to the new architecture yet.

I know you're very angry about Adobe, but please don't distract from the OP's issue and attempts to help him troubleshoot the issue just to make snarky comments.

• 4. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                dissidently Level 1

"It's just that multiprocessing hasn't been added to the new architecture yet."

The difference in viewpoints is this:

Adobe: It's not implemented yet.

End User: It's broken because it previously worked in prior versions.

As I said in a few other comments, learn to empathise with users instead of the billion dollar behemoth. People will respect your opinion more, especially when you comment on tone.

• 5. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?

I'm sorry that my tone seems to be one of lack of empathy. I will try to be more aware of how my tone is being perceived and word things differently.

• 6. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                    dissidently Level 1

There are at least four comments on tone in here:

"I know you're very angry about Adobe, but please don't distract from the OP's issue and attempts to help him troubleshoot the issue just to make snarky comments."

The obviously wrong:

1. That I'm angry about Adobe

2. That I'm distracting from the OP's issue

3. That you're helping him troubleshoot

4. That I'm making snarky comments

You have a prodigious knowledge of AE and Adobe, and apparently some knowledge of their staff.

You know the problems with rendering.

You are not a lawyer representing Adobe.

You do not work for Adobe.

ergo... you may, at your leisure, actually help someone like the OP by IMMEDIATELY indicating the issues with 2015's rendering. You know what they are, and you can make a reasonable assumption from the content of his comment that he's sufficiently experienced with prior versions of AE to recognise that 2015 is significantly slower.

He actually spelled that fact out via this piece of knowledge in his title... "...in the new AE 2015."

This implies he's used prior versions of AE.

You know AE 2015's renderer is fundamentally broken in contrast to all prior versions. And as far as an experienced end user is concerned. You know that.

Yet you take the Adobe 'spin' version, and squirrel that knowledge away, not bringing up why 2015's rendering is slow until I say it's broken.

At that point you've added to the process of helping the OP understand the problem he's experiencing.

THERE IS NO FIX WITHIN 2015 to the problem he's experiencing.

He is confused about why it's slow. In other words, he has a recollection of some other rendering processes being much faster.

Trouble shooting for him his simple. Explain why he is likely to be experiencing this issue, and copy/paste your other comments about reinstalling 2014.

By now you must be aware that most users "upgrading" to 2015 thought that 2015 would be an upgrade. That's not a mistake on their part. That's a pretty logical conclusion to make because there's no warnings on the tin.

A little empathy for the end users, and a little less for the entity that is Adobe and all of what I'm saying would have previously and innately occurred to you and you'd have been immediately able to assist the OP (and all that follow after him with the same problem) in understanding the issue they're experiencing. It's not rocket science.

• 7. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                      dissidently Level 1

When Adobe released the new renderer in 2015 they failed to also include the old renderer from 2014.

So you need to install both AE 2014 and 2015 to have access to a renderer that uses all the cores and threads in your system, and gives you a (somewhat) reasonable rendering time. That's in 2014, not 2015.

Unbeknownst to anyone outside of Adobe and those that have taken the time to find out about this problem, Adobe saw fit to release a crippled (broken) version of their new renderer in 2015 without so much as a warning within the loading/updating processes to suggest that it's important to have both versions installed to gain some decency in rendering times.

There's no doubt little concern at Adobe's HQ about this because more than 99.75% of their customers sign up for the CC subscription based on products that are not AE.

• 8. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?

I can certainly understand your viewpoint. Let me try to explain why I said what I said in my original post to the OP.

If his comp has accidentally been set to use the ray-traced renderer, that may very well be OP's problem. I've seen that before on these forums several times. If that is the case, then there certainly is a fix in CC 2015!

I know rendering is different between CC 2014 and CC 2015 - that's why I asked the OP to test in CC 2014. If there was a big difference between the two using the same project file, we would have some knowledge to move forward with troubleshooting. As it is, we don't know for sure! If I switch multiprocessing off (which often happened with certain expressions or effects in CC 2014 anyway), I don't notice a disparity in rendering speed between CC 2014 and CC 2015. So, I still wouldn't call CC 2015's rendering broken. You shouldn't call it broken either because you know the difference just like I do.

If he rendered the same project file in CC 2014 and it was significantly faster, then I would have explained the change in rendering and why it might be different and would have educated them about my workflow of creating in CC 2015 and using CC 2014 to render. Most people don't want to read a several-paragraph-long explanation about something that might not even be relevant.

• 9. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

dissidently wrote:

....Adobe saw fit to release a crippled (broken) version of their new renderer in 2015 without so much as a warning within the loading/updating processes to suggest that it's important to have both versions installed to gain some decency in rendering times.

...moreover, Adobe set the CC 2015 installer's defaults to delete previous versions.  If you weren't watching what you were doing, you'd have to re-install.  Now, there's some forward thinking....

• 10. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?

dissidently wrote:

Unbeknownst to anyone outside of Adobe and those that have taken the time to find out about this problem, Adobe saw fit to release a crippled (broken) version of their new renderer in 2015 without so much as a warning within the loading/updating processes to suggest that it's important to have both versions installed to gain some decency in rendering times.

There's no doubt little concern at Adobe's HQ about this because more than 99.75% of their customers sign up for the CC subscription based on products that are not AE.

Your implication is that this wasn't announced, which is true if you consider the Adobe corporation as a whole, but the AE team has made it as clear as they can that the renderer is different. They wrote blog posts about it on the official AE team blog and have been talking about it here, on Reddit, and elsewhere.

You're definitely right that Adobe as a company didn't make any noise about it and I think you're correct in thinking that AE is such a tiny minority of their users that they don't care about us very much. This was evidenced by their default to remove prior versions with CC 2015 too. That was a terrible move! A huge part of the reason why Adobe is successful is that people are here for the full suite. If they neglect important parts of that suite (After Effects), the whole suite loses some of its luster and, if they're not careful, we'll all move on to the next, better thing. I think the After Effects team is doing the right thing with their re-write of the software's architecture, but I don't think Adobe is doing the right thing with how they're rolling it out!

I want to emphasize that I'm not "taking the corporate spin" on this; I'm just trying to educate users about WHY things are different when it seems appropriate. Your posts are helping me see that I need to word my posts differently though.

• 11. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                              dissidently Level 1

Assume the most common problem first. Someone notices slow rendering in 2015, the most common and most likely cause is that they're suffering from the lack of multi-threading. As you're probably becoming aware, most people assume an update is an update. I mean, that's what it's described as... it's not called a downgrade. It's an update, which everyone assumes is an upgrade.

// well, they did until photoshop 2015 came out and demonstrated the folly of this thinking.

2015's lack of multi-core rendering is the single most likely cause of user concern about rendering performance in 2015. PERIOD!

It's orders of magnitude less likely that they've accidentally (or otherwise) switched on ray tracing, used an odd script or otherwise impeded the performance of the software.

And why should they spend time reinstalling 2014, trying to open up their project in it and then doing render speed tests for your benefit?

Why don't you simply tell them what's most likely to be the problem?

Using the most basic of deductive reasoning, present the most likely cause (particularly and specifically because it's a software issue fundamental to the app) and THEN move onto the fringe and edge cases as possibilities.

I'm not just suggesting this for the OP. You must consider that other people click on titles like this to see if/why there's a correlation between their own experiences. And they read your "answers", too.

So if you truly want to help people, always consider the majority, and the OP. And forget about Adobe's feelings, it's a corporate behemoth.

• 12. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                                LS3T Level 1

It is extremely weird the renders.

I try some test. One with photos, videos compositing and flare, the render up to 4 hours in CC2015 and 5 minutes in CC2014.

Another composition, with only jpeg, AI vector and shapes, take the same time (render 5 seconds faster in CC 2015).

And I have the sensation that the RAM preview is a little bit faster on CC2014.

I think there is some bug in CC2015. But i'm not agree that CC2014 solve the problem. CC2015 is not complete, you don't have to release en unfinished product. So i return in CC2014 the time all is fixed. But this is a terrible move because, i'm a professionnal, and it takes time (and time is money).

• 13. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                                  JWraith Level 1

I am having the same issues and this was helpful in making the decision to remove AE 2015 from my system and going back to AE 2014 as an alternative until the rendering issues are fixed. I have noticed slow renders taking 75% more time in the newest release of AE (13.5.1.48) to render than previous versions of 2015 using the same exact files, also my Element 3d scenes wont even pre-render, or redraw any longer.

• 14. Re: Anyone else getting extremely slow renders in the new AE 2015?
                                    manjunathk23388540 Level 1

Before rendering its always good idea to Clean media and disk cache and purge all memory to avoid Glitches.