23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 5:11 PM by fredcamino

After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

MMJ90 Level 1

New update to After Effects 2015 has been a significant downgrade from past iterations. AE 2015 introduced many "shiny" new tools but not tools that are actually beneficial to commercial-grade users (not having tried Character). It seems that the AE development team have neglected performance and actual usability from a users perspective - in my opinion the AE team is phenomenal, but I feel like testing goes towards "utility" testers before "commercial users" (100 percent my opinion). For actual motion graphic work - I can't think of a single reason changing keyframes during playback would be helpful. With the understanding that typical motion graphic work is more than fading up Opacity. I wish that development time had been put towards bettering other existing tools. When you look at a program like Cinema 4D, you get real time playback for many many objets with thousands of polygons, so I have trouble understanding the reason for RAM preview in AE at all? Using a Front or Right Perspective (pseudo 2D) in C4D you can get instant playback of just about anything AE can do. So, this among other things has my head spinning with the update to AE 2015 and the "real-time preview, faster workflow" that was so advertised prior to the release.

wtf.gif

Each iteration of After Effects past CS6 have introduced numerous problems and I feel like putting the Creative Cloud name on each release is making up for incomplete testing before the release. As Adobe now seems to push updates out as bugs or errors are found and fixed later - it seems every update is fixing problems or stability that should have been out of the box. That aside, below is a list of the biggest issues I've encountered using AE 2015 and my complete lack of understanding with the reason.

The biggest issue is "sticky" keyframes and objects. I have a top of the line Mac Pro with 12gb of videocards and 64gb of RAM and AE still previews slowly and doesn't unclick properly. Meaning, dragging a keyframe selection on the timeline and releasing it drops it randomly and not where I unclicked. Past versions of AE didn't have this problem and as a "pro" user this is infuriating. What performance update was there again? Or for what reason can't the keyframes actual stay with my mouse without a lag? And that is just the Timeline. Jumping over to the Composition Panel - I'm floored at the decrease in performance. Past iterations of AE could at least render an object as I rotated it without the Timeline playing, in AE 2015 we are now forced to deal with a jumpy jittery outline/shape object rotating a Square in an empty Composition. Once again - where were the Performance enhancements? This 'sticky' situation goes across to EVERYTHING in After Effects - resizing Panels, dragging Sliders absolutely everything. I wish that Adobe would speak with Maxon about their Playback Engine - because we aren't even dealing with complex shapes or Polygons but still can't achieve non-moving playback. I hate to rip on After Effects like this (I've always enjoyed the software until now) but it is essential a wasted update in my opinion.

keys.gif

I develop scripts and also noticed that 2015 has broken many ScriptUI/Extend script function calls - where is the documentation or reason?

We still are unable to preview Fonts choices ... are you kidding me? THis drives me nuts. Every single Adobe software can preview font choices from the Dropdown menu. That is one of the most requested things I've seen on AE boards and it still isn't implemented. Instead we get jittery playback and poor performance updates. It really doesn't make sense that Adobe would push 13.5 as a significant update when it still is missing many features.

Panels don't stay the size they were set at when you switch Workspaces.

You still can't get Bezier handles for Position keyframes in the Graph Editor - that doesn't make any sense? If you switch the property to Separate X and Y you can they do it ... why is that not an added option yet? Speaking of the Graph Editor, it is in a MASSIVE need of an overhaul - from using Cinema 4D and have the Speed and Value view combined I really don't see the need to have them split in AE? It makes animating horrendously slow and tedious. Or an option to see the Graph Editor as a dock-able panel separate from the Timeline to select Keyframes. Or having tiny icons at the bottom that you have to hold to pop up often used properties (in this case switching views because there isn't a shortcut) at the very least there should be multiple icons for switching views or a toggle - with all the screen estate at the bottom having tiny icons with dropdown for other options doesn't make sense. At the very least a cycle toggle for options? Please?

Honestly the list could go on and on - I've tried submitting bug, feature requests before and they often go unheard. Support for H.265? If anyone at Adobe is interested in hearing the many other numerous bugs I've found please email me anytime at mount.mograph@gmail.com and I can supply a detailed right up and screencast of the errors I've found or just general workflow stuff I've found. I'm all about making After Effects the best it can be, it was my first "loved" program but more and more its' falling behind other tools like Cinema 4D (replicating 2D is so easy in it with realtime playback) and even iPad animation apps.

• 1. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MM wrote:

I've tried submitting bug, feature requests before and they often go unheard.

I know it can seem that way since they don't send responses, but they are all read and filed. I have met with some of the folks on the AE team in person at NAB and other places and they have talked about how important bug reports and feature requests are. Personally, I've seen many changes to AE come from people filing feature requests and yesterday's update to AE could not have been so full of bug fixes if people weren't filing bug reports. So, please, continue to file bug reports and feature requests! The more they get, the better they can make the software. Giving details like you have in this post would be very helpful, I'm sure. I especially like your GIF comparison of CC 2014 to CC 2015 performance in the viewport.

As a professional, I'm sure you've been following the AE team's blog, so you know how big of a change After Effects is going through right now. They are completely re-writing the core of the software (due to user requests, by the way ). This is why the preview is completely different. Now, you say it's a step back - and maybe it is - but that's because they're repositioning AE to be much better in the future.

Feedback from users like us about what is working in the new version (and what isn't) will help guide the development to make AE the program we need it to be.

Speaking of...you did download yesterday's update, right?

MM wrote:

AE 2015 introduced many "shiny" new tools but not tools that are actually beneficial to commercial-grade users

I disagree here. My viewpoint is the exact opposite!

The ray-traced renderer that was introduced in CS6 was a "shiny tool" that didn't benefit commercial-grade users for sure! The stuff they introduced in CC 2015 is actually aimed at improving things for pros like us. I'll mention three big features announced and why I think they're actually aimed at pro folks.

Let's start with a BIG one, expression handling - much improved! Try running a comp with lots of expressions (or, heck, use Ouroboros for a minute) in CC 2014 and then in CC 2015. There's a difference. But, more importantly, take a comp with 40 layers that all reference one layer with expressions and delete that one layer. In CC 2014, you can't work until you click through an error for every single broken expression. That's 40 clicks (assuming only one property was referencing the deleted layer - heaven help you if there were more). In CC 2015, you can continue to work without having to click ANY messages. (And you can press CMD+Z or CTRL+Z to bring back that layer and the expressions are attached again!) This is a huge boon to commercial-grade users!

The libraries feature is especially handy for commercial-grade users. The graphics team can create assets in Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. and they will be instantly available for other members of the team to drop into compositions. Color chips, LUTs, and other assets BOOM! Right there instantly - even if the person is on the other side of the world! This has the potential to be a game-changer for bigger companies. Now, it might not be as useful for a single person shop, but at home when I'm freelancing, I actually use it too, but more to get assets from Adobe's mobile apps. Hue and Shape, particularly, provide some very handy assets while I'm out and about.

The uninterruptible preview, while it may not a terribly handy feature for a lot of stuff is good because of why it exists - the UI and interactivity no runs on a separate thread from the renderer. In the past, if you did something that made AE need to redo a render, you would be stuck waiting for it to finish before you could do anything. This meant lots of tiny (and not-so-tiny) pauses in workflow. AE veterans like you and I have become accustomed to working like that, but in CC 2015 it's all changed. The whole experience is faster since there's no waiting. I see from your GIF that it's not all as smooth as it used to be and this is where bug reports are going to be very useful! Now, I find uninterruptible preview to be pretty cool for VFX work. Once you've got a comp cached, you can tweak colors while it's running a loop without having to pause for a render and, if the layer you're working on is pretty simple, you get real-time updates while you're tweaking. But, as I mentioned, the uninterruptible part is really only a byproduct of the separation of the render thread from UI interactivity. And this is just a first step towards making AE a properly multi-threaded piece of software. The old, buggy multiprocessing is gone - hopefully to be replaced soon by something much better!

I'm sure you can see some good, professional uses for things like the face tracker too, but I haven't used it enough to comment.

MM wrote:

We still are unable to preview Fonts choices ... are you kidding me?

You still can't get Bezier handles for Position keyframes in the Graph Editor - that doesn't make any sense? If you switch the property to Separate X and Y you can they do it ... why is that not an added option yet? Speaking of the Graph Editor, it is in a MASSIVE need of an overhaul .

These are two very valid issues. File feature requests on these and encourage others to do the same. Once they work out the new multi-core/multi-threaded renderer and fix the preview issues, the graph editor overhaul should be a big priority in my opinion.

MM wrote:

The biggest issue is "sticky" keyframes and objects. I have a top of the line Mac Pro with 12gb of videocards and 64gb of RAM and AE still previews slowly and doesn't unclick properly. Meaning, dragging a keyframe selection on the timeline and releasing it drops it randomly and not where I unclicked. Past versions of AE didn't have this problem and as a "pro" user this is infuriating.

This has nothing to do with being a pro user. I'm sure this is infuriating for everyone with the problem! It is a known issue, but (as you can read in that post) they need more info to try to nail down the cause. This is another place where highly detailed bug reports would really help.

I can certainly understand your frustration. I've been using AE professionally for years and some of the things you've mentioned have been big areas of contention for me too. But I see bright things in the future for AE, so I want to encourage you to continue to provide bug reports and feature requests so that we can all benefit. I mean, look at the Copy with Relative Property Links feature - hugely useful and a direct result of user input (specifically requests for some of the functionality of a node-based workflow).

• 2. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
            NathanClark Level 1

Bravo MMJ90! Thanks for taking the time to write such a complete account of your experience. I couldn't agree more, with all of your points! The AE developers and AE apologists just don't seem to get that this is a huge problem! Poor UI refresh rates are unacceptable by todays standards. Adobe has completely failed at modernizing After Effects. Try again please.

• 3. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

Nathan Clark wrote:

The AE developers and AE apologists just don't seem to get that this is a huge problem! Poor UI refresh rates are unacceptable by todays standards.

If you're referring to me as an AE apologist, please re-read my post, I completely agreed that the UI issues are big issues and that they need to be fixed. My main point is that we, the users, have to file bug reports and feature requests to get these issues fixed!

• 4. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                dissidently Level 1

Dozens of people are complaining of a half dozen major problems.

Why is it upon those same people to be the beta testers for these kinds of things, and then isolate and report those things for Adobe, into a closed system wherein each of these dozens of people can't see what others are suffering?

All that time wasted doing bug reports for Adobe (who never respond) MIGHT be worthwhile if we could see what other bugs people have found on similar systems and setups, and save ourselves time trying to get things to work that are broken.

You do understand that time is money for the people complaining, right?

At this point, the end customers need to know the extent of the bugs so they don't waste time trying to needlessly work around them, isolate them, etc etc.

Szalam, you have seemingly endless sympathy for Adobe. Have some for the end users, too.

The end users are paying money, and time, to use this software. Adobe is making ENORMOUS profits. They don't need your sympathy, empathy and constant defence.

• 5. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                  dissidently Level 1

Szalam wrote:

If you're referring to me as an AE apologist, please re-read my post, I completely agreed that the UI issues are big issues and that they need to be fixed. My main point is that we, the users, have to file bug reports and feature requests to get these issues fixed!

Other than your continued fascination with bug reports, and your anecdotal evidence of their effectiveness... what is there about them that backs up your statement and use of exclamation mark?

And why is it upon the PAYING end users to be a part of fixing a product that's getting worse?

• 6. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

I'm not defending Adobe, I'm saying that if we don't report issues, they won't get fixed.

AE is terribly complex and it's being run on an infinite number of hardware and software configurations.

Thus, beta testing can't catch everything.

Thus, when bugs pop up in the wild, they need to be reported or they won't be fixed.

I'm an end-user just like you. AE, Cinema 4D, Premiere Pro, and shooting video are how I earn my daily living. Trust me - bugs get me too!

• 7. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

dissidently wrote:

Szalam wrote:

Other than your continued fascination with bug reports, and your anecdotal evidence of their effectiveness... what is there about them that backs up your statement and use of exclamation mark?

And why is it upon the PAYING end users to be a part of fixing a product that's getting worse?

AE runs in such a wide variety of situations that beta testing can't catch every bug. When bugs do pop up, if we don't tell Adobe, they can't fix them. As I said in my (seemingly unread) longer post, I have spoken with a number of folks on the AE team in person and every time they emphasize the importance of detailed bug reports. Adobe can't fix an issue they don't know about.

We should share issues and feature ideas in the forums so other users can know about them AND we should file with Adobe so they can fix/implement them.

• 8. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                        dissidently Level 1

Szalam wrote:

I'm an end-user just like you. AE, Cinema 4D, Premiere Pro, and shooting video are how I earn my daily living. Trust me - bugs get me too!

Where do you find the time between forum posts about bug reports and defending Adobe?

• 9. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                          dissidently Level 1

Szalam wrote:

dissidently wrote:

Szalam wrote:

AE runs in such a wide variety of situations that beta testing can't catch every bug. When bugs do pop up, if we don't tell Adobe, they can't fix them. As I said in my (seemingly unread) longer post, I have spoken with a number of folks on the AE team in person and every time they emphasize the importance of detailed bug reports. Adobe can't fix an issue they don't know about.

We should share issues and feature ideas in the forums so other users can know about them AND we should file with Adobe so they can fix/implement them.

This is the anecdotal "evidence" I was referring to.

Why should we believe that? What actual evidence is there? Why don't they bother to open up the bug reporting process so that the volume, topics, issues and hardware, OS versions, driver versions and all other pertinent factors are transparent to all other users?

Why don't you care about the users?

• 10. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

dissidently wrote:

Where do you find the time between forum posts about bug reports and defending Adobe?

I make the time because forums helped me out a lot when I was first starting out.

I do it during renders, during my lunch break, when I first get to work before starting the day, at home, etc.

I love the online motion graphic and vfx communities. I participate here, CreativeCOW, C4D Café, /r/After Effects, /r/Cinema4D, /r/VFX, /r/MotionDesign, CGTalk, Video Copilot forums, and elsewhere because I want to help folks like I was helped.

Plus, if bugs get fixed, the software is smoother for me too.

• 11. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

dissidently wrote:

Why don't you care about the users?

That's just silly. I'm only here because I care.

dissidently wrote:

Why don't they bother to open up the bug reporting process so that the volume, topics, issues and hardware, OS versions, driver versions and all other pertinent factors are transparent to all other users?

I don't know. It might be a really nice feature. At least we get Adobe staff talking to us on a regular basis in these forums. Some Adobe forums for other software never (or rarely) see anyone from their product team at all!

• 12. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                dissidently Level 1

"I do it during renders"

If you're using 2015, I stand corrected. I see how you have enough time.

• 13. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

dissidently wrote:

"I do it during renders"

If you're using 2015, I stand corrected. I see how you have enough time.

Hah! Good one. No. Usually wrangling C4D team renders or, in this case, a bunch of items in an AME queue.

At work, we don't even have CC 2014 yet! I only get to use CC 2015 (and CC 2014 to render ) at home.

• 14. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                    MMJ90 Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to read everyone. I can only say again I'm a big AE fan and only want to see it get better - hell I've even applied at Adobe to be anything on the team. I also want to say most of those thoughts are my own opinions and I wasn't trying to speak "for the masses" and am only sharing the things that have been the largest interruptions in a professional work environment.

As a follow up to Szalam I would like to better format my experience. I typed that rather quickly in response to a Twitter message about posting on here, so didn't give much thought to the write up.

I've spoken with a friend who actually works at Adobe and I know the After Effects development team is roughly ten people. Ten people that often get pulled to other projects and application development jobs. So I'm not discounting the hard work that was put in on the After Effects 2015 release - or the "preparation for future releases" that I hope AE 13.5 is a brief building brick too. I miss the days of applications being thoroughly tested and being sold in a box, where "updates" and "fixes" weren't nearly as common and the tool had to be finished before release.

I've done my fair share of bug reports - from image sequence errors, to expression calculation errors, to undo mismatch errors. And have shared emails with various AE folks - with a "we will look into it further." Which I'm positive at this point is a "put it in the pile" phrase. I have to disagree with your point about "the more the better" (obviously just my opinion) until there is a solid framework for the application, little bugs and errors shouldn't be addressed. That is my main grievance with the update, yes new tools, but the old tools aren't fixed ... make sense? With the new tools comes new bugs, that go on the list of bugs in tools.

I do read the Region of Interest blog and will admit the amount of information on each release is lacking. When will there be an update to the Extendscript guide for Creative Cloud? Or HTML5 scripting guide? There are fragments of information floating around, most of it outdated. And for a development company, you'd think they would have a better organized/user friendly/modernized website/blog for new features? I mean, there is even the Photoshop to Edge workflow now. I've seen a couple Adobe evangelists speak about it in videos. Hard to visit a site that doesn't even liquid format ... put that on the list of bugs.

In terms of repositioning for future releases, I think there needs to be an interface overhaul. It is the classic fix the behind the scenes to make it work with the front. In my opinion ( and in many development blogs of Google employees for example) code needs to be addressed on both the front and back end in situations of an overhaul. Other than a flat trendy design, blue highlights, keyframe icons and in 13.5 better panel management. The interface has hardly changed since CS4 ... which was quite a long time ago. It's the jumping through hoops to do simple tasks that needs to be addressed (in my opinion) - documented shortcuts for Application Commands that don't exist in the Task Bar (OPT+CMND+B for example) I don't understand.

I actually speak with Sander (developer of Oro) every once in a while and have used his tool. With Expression Handling - it doesn't calculate faster, in fact, it calculates much slower. Oro isn't that complex when you actually look through the scripting, there is a lot of referencing A & B as an example. For scripting that actually has calculations (see below for a Falloff Effector I wrote) 13.5 is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade. I give my 100 percent honesty these are both realtime playbacks of identical scenes and setup. To answer your assumption code is written with absolute references that is a whole other issue. Developers or general users should use Expression Controls as they were intended with a Layer Control to switch the Parent layer in the code. There wasn't really an issue with having to click 40 times, unless you coded badly or were using a poorly created tool... Right? That is literally the reason for Expression Controls in your Preset Effects ...

expressionfail2.gif

(CLICK TO PLAY GIF)

The libraries feature is not (once again in my opinion) that revolutionary - I've been sharing files globally via Dropbox and Google Drive with realtime changes for years. Libraries is still getting bugs and worked out ... so until then I'll stick with Dropbox. I don't believe Libraries is that big an asset for commercial grade users at all. Most agencies or studios are on a localized network and have access to other computers systems (that is standard practice) or the alternative Drive or Dropbox. I think it is not solving an issues that already existed.

The uninterrupted preview is a "buzz word tool" in my opinion - it still gets interrupted for anything over changing a basic property value. It's great it runs on a separate thread now. But realistically the whole program should run off the GPU like an other renderer. See Vray, Octane, Physical Renderer and Standard Render in Cinema 4D, Maya, AutoCAD, Renderman, Final Cut X, Apple Motion (both Apple programs run in the background). The realtime playback in 13.5 is bar none a significant downgrade from all other versions of After Effects. That is almost non-debatable just looking at my previous examples and the GIF above. What is the point of faster playback if you can't even drop keyframes or objects where you want them - the time saved just goes right back to other tasks/bugs/errors whatever you want to call them.

Facetracker ... not sure why it is implemented to be honest doesn't Adobe have a partnership with Mocha ... Mocha Planer Tracker ... that tracks planes, objects and shapes ... and Exports to Shape or Mask Data ... and process far faster ... just seems like a new tool, not fixing pre-exsiting problems (my opinion) Szalam am I missing something else about that?

So long story short, this is my opinion, I can pull up files, examples, expressions just about anything showcasing that in a commercial environment AE 2015 is a HUGE step backwards for a faster workflow. Using AE 2015 is a non-cost effective solution to producing content or paid work. You simply don't get the advertised "faster playback, workspace etc." ... between the less broken of two applications I have to stay with AE 2014 for the time being.

Which as a closing point, why do they even release updates like 13.5? Thourgh testing shoudl be done before it wrecks havoc on workstations, usabilty and productivity. Please email at mount.mograph@gmail.com with any questions - if any Adobe team members are intersted in project files or examples they are yours. Thanks for reading and participating in this discussion!

• 15. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The AE team needs to be given the direction and leeway (and people) to do a major overhaul of the whole thing. Wholeheartedly agree. They're on their way, but there's a long way to go still and it's going slower than we users would like. I wish Adobe would care enough to make it happen faster (and better). It still boggles my mind that the Photoshop team is so huge compared to the AE team. AE is like Photoshop, but MORE COMPLICATED. Shouldn't AE have more people? And why, pray tell, does Photoshop have 3d printing capabilities? How did THAT become a feature of Photoshop?

The corporate culture at Adobe confuses me.

But at least they let their team members talk about things. Maxon is famous for their wall of silence. Thankfully, that's been changing in the past month or two. Some of their team members are posting more regularly in some of the forums out there, but Maxon doesn't even have their own forums! I'm very happy that Adobe lets folks actually on the AE team come in here and talk with us.

Speaking of C4D...

MM wrote:

But realistically the whole program should run off the GPU like an other renderer. See Vray, Octane, Physical Renderer and Standard Render in Cinema 4D, Maya, AutoCAD, Renderman, Final Cut X, Apple Motion (both Apple programs run in the background).

Cinema 4D uses the GPU for Octane (because it's a GPU renderer), but it does NOT render on the GPU for the standard or Physical renderer. I don't have enough experience with the others to verify, but I'm pretty sure the scanline renderer in Maya doesn't use the GPU either. Premiere, however, DOES use the GPU and that would have been a good example to add to your list.

We know the AE team is experimenting with GPU acceleration. They even did a little demonstration at Apple's latest WWDC using Apple's Metal to accelerate some effects in AE. It looked pretty neat.

• 16. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                        ActionCamStudio Level 1

Thank you so much MM for this detailed list of bugs and problems with AE 2015. You've saved a lot of life with your great tools, you've made something that Adobe could probably have done since the beginning (your Motion 2 tool is superb). Reading this kind of posts from user experienced like you is really a bullet in the head. Probably Adobe have to listen to users like you that vivisect the program to the foundation. Now i don't want to be polemical...but...10 people that works on a sw like this is really wierd. They are great for sure...but with all the subscription probably ten more techs should do it better

Jokes apart, the new AE CC2015 is really a nightmare, even after the new bug update. I've tested it a bit and i've throw in the towel. I'm testing the new DaVinci Studio 12 in its beta stage and i've started to cry. When you see a sw that really is in progress in terms of stability and performance you will cry for the joy! With AE i've cried for the anger, at the point that i've unistalled everything (such a lot of space on the HD), Photoshop,Premiere,Illustrator and AE and continue to work in the old age, with its buggy features , but at least with the possibility to end the job and save the face with clients. No problems with Adobe, i can live with old tools. I don't care. But i understand other people asking for stable releases and not for beta releases in the early stage. Premiere 2015 have a lot of issues too for example.

By the way, i hope that Adobe is listening to you and your precious, detailed informations. A timeline like C4D will be really a gift, such as dimensions separated from the beginning...

Who knows what will happen! Hope that updates are coming fster and faster...like in two weeks!

Sorry for my bad english...

• 17. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                          picenilllo Level 1

Thanks Mt. mograph and Szalam for all the information. Conversations like this definitely help a lot. I have no doubt AE developers are working hard to fix all these issues. Can't imagine how frustrating this can be with the amazing work you guys do.

• 18. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                            dissidently Level 1

The corporate culture at Adobe confuses me.

It's likely you'd have a crisis of confidence if you knew how corporations actually "work".

It's not about people, it's about profit. It's not about customers, it's about their payments. It's not about management, it's about shareholders.

Yes, I know, economics has posited mutual needs and other nonsense, but none of that matters in a monopoly, nor are the theories of economics seemingly connected to reality unless in a vacuum.

The following comments belay your innocence and naivety:

The AE team needs to be given the direction and leeway (and people) to do a major overhaul of the whole thing. Wholeheartedly agree. They're on their way, but there's a long way to go still and it's going slower than we users would like.

If by "slower" you mean " further backwards", then yes, this sentence begins to make some sense.

But where you really fall apart, and are suffering some kind of dissonance, is this "They're on their way..."

Where?

Think about that. Where are they going without the direction and leeway and people you refer to needed for an overhaul of the whole thing?

• 19. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive

dissidently wrote:

But where you really fall apart, and are suffering some kind of dissonance, is this "They're on their way..."

Where?

Think about that. Where are they going without the direction and leeway and people you refer to needed for an overhaul of the whole thing?

I was saying that they are on their way towards a better piece of software. I like that they've taken the track of introducing few new features and, instead, focusing on rewriting the core of AE. As has been pointed out, they're just doing the back end of things - I wish they were allowed the time and people to revamp more things - such as those pointed out in this thread.

Multiprocessing was a hacky workaround, so, while taking it out may feel like a step back, it's a step back in order for them to go forward in a more positive direction. Steps forward aren't good if they're going the wrong way. Sometimes, to go in the right direction, you need to go back to a fork in the road and take the right path. That's what I was thinking of with what I've been saying. And I'm not just swallowing Adobe's marketing either. As you well know, if they left AE the way it was in CC 2014, AE would soon become irrelevant and useless and all of us who use it for our living would need to learn some other software. People have been complaining about AE (and multiprocessing specifically) for years. AE needs a core overhaul.

Such a massive change takes time. And, in a transition period, things are going to be rocky.

Unfortunately, Adobe is handling the AE change poorly. I agree with you on this!

They should have made it more clear that CC 2015 is part of a work in progress that is not completed (I mean, the AE team did on their blog, on Reddit, and in the forums, but the casual user wouldn't have seen that). Adobe should have made it clear on their website and in the Creative Cloud app. And Adobe should DEFINITELY NOT have had CC 2015 default to removing the old versions. Seriously - what the heck! People are used to AE being fairly rock solid and pretty much just working. If Adobe would have labeled CC 2015 as Preview 1 (like they did with Character Animator) and left CC 2014 alone by default, a lot of the issues we've seen wouldn't have been issues because people wouldn't have jumped into it with their production machines. (Well, fewer people would have. I mean, who tries running production machines on a beta OS? I would have thought nobody was that stupid, but then I came to the forums...)

Honestly, from how the AE team was talking about the architectural changes in AE, I expected there to be a lot more problems in CC 2015 than there are. I haven't had any major issues with it that weren't easily overcome by ducking out to CC 2014 for a second. Personally, I like the chance to work with the new version and try out the first bits of the new architecture. But I agree with you that Adobe should have made it more clear that this isn't just a regular update and people needed to be more wary about it.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to explain the reason for my optimism, but I don't feel like I'm doing a good job.

I don't feel like Adobe the corporation has my best interests at heart or anything like that. However, I'm looking farther down the road than just today and the After Effects team have told us where they're going - a faster, more robust, more stable software that utilizes modern hardware in an efficient way. That sounds good to me. I'm aware that they haven't arrived yet, but I like where they're going - I just wish the ride were shorter!

• 20. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                                dissidently Level 1

AE 2015 simply should not have been released. It's not ready.

If this kind of customer abuse is the new normal for Adobe, it's not going forward in any literal sense of the word forward that a customer's perspective perceives that direction to be.

• 21. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                                  NathanClark Level 1

Bump. Can we get someone from Adobe to weigh in on this? admit there's a problem & give us a roadmap? 

• 22. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                                    axelr99623022 Level 1

Just reinstalled Version AFX2014. It's not possible to work with AFX 2015 because of the missing Preview in Realtime. Almost every Preview is slowed down and that way you get no preview on your animation timings. For doing Motion Graphics I need this feature every 2 minutes. Thankfully it is still possible to work in AFX2014.

• 23. Re: After Effects 2015 Extremely Unresponsive
                                                      fredcamino Level 1

I have to agree with everything the OP said. After Effects has become borderline unusable. I've been working with AE for a decade now, motion graphics is my career, and I can't remember ever being this frustrated with a piece of software. I now actively seek out ways to avoid using AE for my work, often using C4D for 2D work that should be where AE excels.

The OP pretty much covered everything -- most notably the completely unresponsive interface, even on the most bleeding edge workstations. The fact that half the time I can't move a keyframe where I want to is all that needs to be said about the state of this software.

I also experience regular crashes, very odd glitches, undo often doesn't work in the way that it should, constant need to purge caches... and these things happen on the simplest of projects, and on any machine.