18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 2:12 PM by clauderozsa

Would this tutorial solve my problem

clauderozsa Level 1

Act 1 Visit de Pompei .00_04_39_19.Still003.jpgHi everyone,

I have the following problem I'd like to solve.

In the following shot which I show you just a single image, my camera pans but at the same time I have a person crossing the whole footage along the pan. I'd like to remove this person from the whole shot.

While searching tutorials I've found this one.

My question is simple would the method used in the tutorial solve my problem or not. If this would not be the case have you any idea how I could do the trick as I want to keep the background in place and following of course the movement of my camera. The footage is a little less than 6 seconds, The person stays more or less constantly walking on the first right 1/3 of the image.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Claude

• 1. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have time to watch your example tutorial, but it looks to me like you could cover him up by duplicating your video layer, put a mask around the guy on the top layer and set it to subtract, then slide the bottom layer in time a bit and move its position so that you have the area without the guy in the right position.

Now, this may or may not work well depending on the camera's movement.

Don't forget, there's also the clone tool.

• 2. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
            clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Mike , but I will then have a black spot instead of the guy on my shot?! What I want is to remove totally the guy from the shot. For the moment I'm trying to figure out how to track with mocha plus properly my guy and see if I can then apply the tutorial's method. I suppose the Mocha tracking will have the same results thant the 3D camera tracker used in the tutorial and probably be more precise. Of course if I could afford Mocha Pro the solution would be in my hands as the version contains an object removal feature!

• 3. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly.

You cut the guy out of one shot, but underneath that layer, you have a copy of the footage at a different time (so the guy is not in the same spot) and positioned so that the part of the shot where the guy is cut out, is filled with the appropriate scenery.

• 4. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                clauderozsa Level 1

But I'll have to do that for each frame, my guy is moving all along the lawn and the camera is panning but not following him. When I made the shot I did not realize he entered the lawn so I was focusing on having a steady pan and panning smoothly and not too fast. Moreover when the guy walks he probably was doing so in diagonal as at the end of the shot he looks closer to me. Not much but it shows....

• 5. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem

Either I'm misunderstanding how your shot looks or you're misunderstanding my suggestions. Any chance you could share the shot in motion?

• 6. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                    clauderozsa Level 1

Ok I'll upload it it's short should be on in ten minutes no more

• 7. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                      clauderozsa Level 1

Here it is, in fact I realize I was not panning but walking along the columns.

• 8. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                        creggor

I think that tutorial will help you solve this problem, but you will need two projection solids to mask the man out- one for the ground plane and one for the plane aligned with the columns.

Make sense?

Good luck!

• 9. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                          clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Creggor, what would be best to use Mocha plus or 3D camera tracker?

• 10. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                            creggor Level 1

I think you could just use the camera tracker-

Also, check this out - might make things easier:

http://aescripts.com/projection/

• 11. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                              clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks; I'll look into this

• 12. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                Martin Brennand Level 1

The main issue you are going to have here is the multiple levels of parallax:

1. The columns
                                2. The walls behind the columns
                                3. The separate walls through the door frame he passes in the middle of the shot.
                                4. The ground plane

Is this the actual compression and resolution of the shot? Because the noise and flicker is also probably going to introduce some artefacts.

• 13. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                  clauderozsa Level 1

Good morning Martin,

Well yes this is the original tape (DV in the AVI Quicktime format (720x576)). but I had it stabilized which explains the noise. I have decided to use the 3D camera tracker and to do so suppressed the warp stabilization effect and reset the video to its original size and definition mentioned here. I'm trying to use the script mentioned by Creggor above but it seems there is a problem with AE CC2014 latest buid ( I refuse to use the new 2015 version considering all the problems and bugs showed on the different forums; it's a long and heavy project and not being a professional and having no dead line I prefer to put security first than taking risks with all I have done already)  although I have bought the latest version of the script. I'm waiting for explanations from the website following a ticket I've just posted a few minutes ago. If it works it should solve the problem by creating 2 solid planes one for the floor to copy and link to the movement which will hide the feet and part of the legs of the guy up to the far side of the pavement, and one corresponding to the wall and columns vertical this time. Wait and see!

I suddenly wonder if the problem with the script is not that it is a quicktime format and If I shouldn't convert my footage to an MP4 one.....

Claude

• 14. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem

Claude Rozsa wrote:

I suddenly wonder if the problem with the script is not that it is a quicktime format and If I shouldn't convert my footage to an MP4 one.....

NO!

Don't add compression and quality loss on top of your footage! MP4's are lossy. This means that your video will lose even more quality if you encode it into MP4. Only use MP4's as your final deliverable.

• 15. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                      clauderozsa Level 1

I think I've found the solution Mike, thanks to a guy on video copilot in this tutorial Easy Camera Mapping VFX with After Effects | Tutorial - YouTube

Actually if it had object removal or something of the kind referring to it I would have found it when searching at first. I'm just making the test and we'll see

if it is the solution. I'll come back later with the results of my test.

Claude

• 16. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                        clauderozsa Level 1

I've tried to apply the turorial but the result is very poor. But It gave me an idea which might solve the problem. I will rebuilt the whole scene like you convert an image into a 3D scene by freezing the 1st frame and then divide it into different layers.

One will be the columns on the foreground on the left of the shot

the second will be the ground alone up to the wall or may be including it as it moves sideways at the same time

the third will be the trees behind the wall

and the fourth will the columns in front of the walls.
                                        Adding a camera simultating the movement I did while shooting I should recreate the same shot more or less I think.

As Martin quite rightly remarked my issue here are the multiple parallax movements which makes it practically impossible for a novice like me to solve unless I'd want to become a lunatic!

Thanks anyway to all for having tried to help me. I'll post later the result for you to give comments and ideas to better it.

Claude

• 17. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The easiest technique for removing the person in the shot is to roto the person out of the shot then use a time displaced copy of the original video as a clean plate to fill the holes. This would probably be easier to do in Mocha than with the Track Camera/projection method. The hardest part of the project would be creating the clean plate to fill the hole. This is because of the parallax and perspective changes. Mocha Pro would be my choice. If you don't have that then it's going to take some tracking and some animating of scale, rotation and position to make the clean plate fill the hole left by the roto. I don't think the Camera Tracker solution would be the easiest.

• 18. Re: Would this tutorial solve my problem
                                            clauderozsa Level 1

Thanks Rick. I've decided to abandon the idea and I've made an attempt converting one of the frames into a pseudo 3D shot here

It's far from being perfect I'm aware of that. I'll make another try tomorrow this time using element 3D and transforming each column into a 3D object, perhaps that could give a better result. My problem here is that the picture is not very sharp, there was also wind on the ruins that day in 2009 and some dust kept depositing on my UV filter which did not help too. I also made the mistake that day to be too early on the site and had to suffer the crowds of tourists and guides! Generally I go there in late afternoon and one has the ruins void of people which is great and very emotional.

Claude