12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 1:42 PM by nataliemhall6

Photos gone!

nataliemhall6

Hello!   I opened my lightroom this morning to absolutely NO PHOTOS.  I had them backed up, updated lightroom yesterday.  Today when I opened it, over 8000 photos, gone.  I went to my backup folder in my pictures, and there are tons of files.  Folders  A-F and 0-9, these folders have tons of other folders in them, but when I open them they are empty.  HELP!  Anyone?   Not anywhere else in my computer.  Not in docs, pics, recycle, anywhere.  I just did a shoot with a family of 12.  Some of them from Spain.  All my other are on my external thank goodness!!  But where did they go in the first place?  thoughts?  This family is going to be devastated.....as am I.

• 1. Re: Photos gone!
          dj_paige Level 9

Where did they go? You have opened the wrong catalog file. The proper catalog file is still on your computer.

So ... what update did you do? What version previously were you using and what version did you update to?

In most cases (depending on the answer to the above question), you can open Lightroom, go to File->Open Recent and try selecting each of the catalogs shown there.

• 2. Re: Photos gone!
            nataliemhall6 Level 1

I don't think I am opening the wrong file.  All of my lightroom photos were in my Lightroom catalog in "my pictures.  Now they look like the attached picture.  This is Folder 2, all of these folders are empty.  I tried what you said above, and it does nothing.  I updated to 5.7.1.  I am assuming it was the previous version before that.  When it says it needs to be updated, I just do it.  Lightroom photos.jpeg

• 3. Re: Photos gone!
              dj_paige Level 9

I don't think I am opening the wrong file.

Obviously, you are opening the wrong catalog file if you find zero photos in the catalog and there were 8000 in the catalog yesterday.

If File->Open Recent doesn't find the proper catalog, then use your operating system to search all of your hard disks for files whose name ends with .LRCAT

Open each one that you find by double-clicking on it. One of them is the catalog you are looking for.

Or since you backed up your catalog file yesterday, simply find the backup that was made yesterday and open that (copy it to an empty folder, then double-click on it)

• 4. Re: Photos gone!
                andrewfreeman Level 3

As dj_paige states, you are looking in the wrong area. The above is a screenshot of the previews folder: look closely at the directory name. This is where lightroom caches lightweight versions of the images for displaying them quickly, or if you work offline. This isn't  where your master files are stored. Your master files will be wherever you copy your images to either a) manually before import, or b) using the copy feature in LR when you import from your memory cards...

The catalogue should be in the directory above it. If necessary take a screen shot of that folder but not by using your phone..... press PrtSc (print screen) and paste it into the forum (Ctrl-V).

• 5. Re: Photos gone!
                  nataliemhall6 Level 1

Thanks for your responses, I am new at all of this.  So bare with me.  I found all of them (7228 photos) except the ones I backed up yesterday, But when I try to "relaunch" other folders and this is what happens when I try to open one of the photos. Yesterdays back up says there are 0 files. (second photo) .

When I uploaded the photos from the most recent shoot....I just opened lightroom and downloaded directly from the SD card, and I cannot find them anywhere else. 

prtscn lightroom.jpg

prtscn lightroom 2.jpg

• 6. Re: Photos gone!
                    dj_paige Level 9

I found all of them (7228 photos) except the ones I backed up yesterday,

I guess we need a clarification. Where did you find these photos? Did you find a Lightroom catalog that has these photos? Did you find them on your hard disk using your operating system? Or something else?

But when I try to "relaunch" other folders and this is what happens when I try to open one of the photos. Yesterdays back up says there are 0 files. (second photo) .

I don't know what you mean by "relaunch". Please try to use Lightroom terms for what you are doing, or describe exactly where you are clicking, what part of the screen or what commands or what buttons you are using. The screen capture you show indicates that the file and folder cannot be found by Lightroom, which brings me back to my earlier question ... can you find these photos using your operating system?

When I uploaded the photos from the most recent shoot....I just opened lightroom and downloaded directly from the SD card, and I cannot find them anywhere else. 

Again, uploading and downloading means nothing to me. Probably you mean Import, and I don't understand what this means, I don't see how the first part of the sentence before the dots relates to the second part of the sentence.

In all of this searching, do you use your operating system to search, or do you simply look in a bunch of folders? If the latter, please use your operating system to search all hard disks for a given photo by file name, for example the one shown above IMG_4635.CR2

• 7. Re: Photos gone!
                      ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Go back to the Library module.

Look in the Folders panel to see which folders are missing (marked with "?").

If the folder tree does not look like it does with Finder, right-click on a child folder and select "show parent". Repeat as needed.

First, find all the missing folders.

Then, find all the still missing pictures.

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 8. Re: Photos gone!
                        nataliemhall6 Level 1

found all of them (7228 photos) except the ones I backed up yesterday,

I guess we need a clarification. Where did you find these photos? Did you find a Lightroom catalog that has these photos? Did you find them on your hard disk using your operating system? Or something else?

Re:

Yes.  The operating system in the lightroom catalog is where I found them,  and I found them as you suggested below.

"Obviously, you are opening the wrong catalog file if you find zero photos in the catalog and there were 8000 in the catalog yesterday.

If File->Open Recent doesn't find the proper catalog, then use your operating system to search all of your hard disks for files whose name ends with .LRCAT

Open each one that you find by double-clicking on it. One of them is the catalog you are looking for."

"I don't know what you mean by "relaunch". Please try to use Lightroom terms for what you are doing, or describe exactly where you are clicking, what part of the screen or what commands or what buttons you are using. The screen capture you show indicates that the file and folder cannot be found by Lightroom, which brings me back to my earlier question ... can you find these photos using your operating system?"

____

When I click on one of the catalogs, it asks me if I want Lightroom to " Relaunch lightroom with this catalog?" 

So, as far as using "lighroom terms", it looks like Lighroom does use the term "relaunch"  Thanks.

relaunch.jpg

Again, uploading and downloading means nothing to me. Probably you mean Import, and I don't understand what this means, I don't see how the first part of the sentence before the dots relates to the second part of the sentence.

^^^Yes, I meant import.  I apologize for my improper use of terms.  I told you that I was new at this.    So-   I "imported" the photos from my SD directly into Lightroom. 

"In all of this searching, do you use your operating system to search, or do you simply look in a bunch of folders? If the latter, please use your operating system to search all hard disks for a given photo by file name, for example the one shown above IMG_4635.CR2"

I tried this as well, did not find any from the shoot.

@ ManiacJoe  There are no missing folders, or questions marks. 

I have tried everything you have suggested...all of you.  Still, no photos.  It's like I never even "imorted" them or uploaded as I call it, in the first place.

• 9. Re: Photos gone!
                          andrewfreeman Level 3

nataliemhall6 wrote:

I have tried everything you have suggested...all of you.  Still, no photos.  It's like I never even "imorted" them or uploaded as I call it, in the first place.

To add a final question to the comments above: did you select Add, or Copy when you imported? If you clicked add, then LR merely treats your SD card as the source for your master images, which means when you format your card, those images are lost.

• 10. Re: Photos gone!
                            nataliemhall6 Level 1

Yep.  It was on "add" already. So that is how they were imported. 

• 11. Re: Photos gone!
                              andrewfreeman Level 3

Ok, so LR is using the SD card as the source, effectively as an external drive, and that SD card I presume you have formatted and now used on another shoot?  If so the only way you can recover (some) of the images now is by using some recovery software such as this

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Pick the free option. Do NOT recover to the SD card itself, recover to a HD.

It'll recover from formatted cards, erased cards and cards that you have partially shot on after the aforementioned. How much you can recover will depend on how many images you have taken using that card. If you've just formatted or erased the images then it's likely you will get back 90-100% of the images.

You must either use the "copy" function in future, or my preference, manually copy the images to my main drive, and then to my backup drive, and then finally open up LR and import them from the HD, not the SD card.

• 12. Re: Photos gone!
                                nataliemhall6 Level 1

Oh my goodness.  Thank you so much andrewfreeman.  I will try that!  I now know to double check.  I am so new at this lightroom thing.  Thanks again.