2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 10:06 AM by dj_paige

How to open a catalog from lightroom 5 into lightroom 6?

hannahwoodsm

My photographer friend is trying to send me a catalog from her lightroom 5 so that I can edit for her. The issue is that I have lightroom 6 and it is not allowing me to open it because hers needs to be upgraded. Is there a way of going around this, so that she does not have to update to lightroom 6?

• 1. Re: How to open a catalog from lightroom 5 into lightroom 6?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's possible to update a catalog to a newer version, but there is no provision for going back to a previous version. You could save changes to XMP, and send the images and the XMP files back to the other person. But there's no way you can work on the catalog and then send the results back to the other person.

• 2. Re: How to open a catalog from lightroom 5 into lightroom 6?
            dj_paige Level 9

The issue is that I have lightroom 6 and it is not allowing me to open it because hers needs to be upgraded.

This isn't the issue. Lightroom 6 can indeed open Lightroom 5 catalogs. If you are having a problem opening this Lightroom 5 catalog, please state in great detail what you are doing and what happens. Please quote any error message exactly as it appears, unedited, complete, word-for-word.

Also, if you owned Lightroom 5, you could simply use that for all the work with this client, and all of these problems are gone.