5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 12:39 PM by l.a.hague

Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files

l.a.hague

I really hope someone can help, this is holding up some very important work and I can't find a way to fix it.

A few weeks ago, Lightroom 5.6 stopped recognising some CR2 files on my camera memory card (my camera is a Canon Rebel T3/EOS 1100D). When I open up the Import window, it shows previews of some of the files on the card, but some are also greyed out. If I look at what's on the card on my camera, or on Windows explorer (with the RAW viewer plug-in) I can see all the files fine. If I try to import the files into Lightroom, it hangs forever on about 5% and then when I cancel/close it, it says 'No photos or videos were found to import.'

I have a CC subscription too, so I installed the latest version of Lightroom CC to see if that would fix the problem but unfortunately it behaves in exactly the same way.

I've tried:

- copying the photos from the memory card to hard drive using Windows explorer and then importing from there. Still doesn't work.

- copying the photos from the memory card to hard drive and converting to DNG using Bridge CC, then importing from there. Still doesn't work.

Weirdly, Lightroom DOES still recognise CR2 files from the same camera on a different memory card and will import these without any problems. I'm not sure if it may be something to do with having movie files on the card too? The card it recognises files from doesn't have any movie files on. I have a couple of cards that have movie files and JPGs and CR2s, and these are the ones that it can't read the CR2 files from.

I'd be really grateful if any one could give me some ideas of what else I can do to troubleshoot this! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files
          dj_paige Level 9

When I open up the Import window, it shows previews of some of the files on the card, but some are also greyed out.

Greyed out images mean that the photos have been previously imported into Lightroom. There is no need to import them again, nor is it a good idea. Just go to the library module and find these photos and perform your work on them.

As far as the other photos are concerned, can you tell us what camera took these photos? What happens if your remove the movie files from these cards? Can Lightroom import the photos?

By the way, how big are these movie files ... are they hundreds of megabytes? These can take a long time to import, how long did you let things go before you cancel the import?

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files
            l.a.hague Level 1

Sorry, I may have worded that a bit ambigously - I don't mean that I can see the image thumbnail preview and it's greyed out (as it is when it's been imported), I mean that there's literally a grey box with the file name, where the thumnail should be. These images have definitely not been imported into my Lightroom catalogue.

I've not tried taking the movie files off the card yet, but I'll give that a shot and see if it helps! The camera is a Canon Rebel T3/EOS 1100D.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files
              l.a.hague Level 1

By the way, how big are these movie files ... are they hundreds of megabytes? These can take a long time to import, how long did you let things go before you cancel the import?

I've tried importing just one CR2 file at a time, and it still hangs forever, so I don't think it's the file size that is a problem. I'm not interested in importing the movie files into Lightroom, so I've been leaving them unchecked in the Import window.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files
                dj_paige Level 9

What happens if you actually move the movie files out of the folder or off the camera card (in other words, so they are no longer in the folder or on the camera card)?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5.6/CC will not recognise/import certain CR2 files
                  l.a.hague Level 1

Well, I deleted all the movie files off the card, restarted LR and the CR2 files are now importing correctly! Surprised it was such a simple fix when nothing else seemed to work. Thanks for your help!