5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 2:28 PM by A.T. Romano

project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0

rosemaryj58383381

Hi there,

I have finally got around to trying to edit some video footage from my Panasonic HDC-SD20 video camera Full HD 1920x1080.

We bought Premiere Elements 8.0 a while back and I am now trying to use it.

I can't seem to get the video footage to run properly in my project, the sound is not too bad but the actual footage jumps a bit and it would be impossible to accurately edit it like this. I wonder if I have got the project settings wrong, but I am not sure what the right ones would be.

Please could someone who knows about these things advise me.

Many thanks,

Rosemary

• 1. Re: project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rosemary,

What computer operating system is involved? Whatever the case, Premiere Elements 8 is going to be a 32 bit application whether it is running in a 32 bit or 64 bit system. Your video apparently uses AVCHD (MP4 AVC/H.264) video compression which is a very resource demanding format. All this has implications trying to take a larger project to successful completion. Depending on the level of computer resources, those with AVCHD video to edit sometimes convert the AVCHD to HD MPEG2.mpg which is less resource demanding.

You can help yourself a lot by

a. Making sure that you are working from the 8.0.1 Update of 8.0. Do not download and install this update from the project's Help Menu/Updates. Instead use

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

b. Be sure to have disabled the automatic background rendering and Auto Analyzer features. They are major grabbers of system resources and can take the project down if left on. For background rendering, see Premiere Elements Editor workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General. For Auto Analyzer, see Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options.

c. When you open your new project, you are greeted by the New Project dialog. You set the project preset there to match the properties of the source video. In the case of version 8.0/8.0.1, whether you have 1080i or 1080p, your choice is

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30 or, if you  have 5.1 audio, Full HD1080i30 5.1 channel

When you import your video to the Timeline, you will probably have a red line over the Timeline content. If so, then Timeline render the Timeline content by pressing the computer keyboard Enter key or go to and use Edit Menu/Render Work Area. The red line over the Timeline content will turn green indicating that Timeline rendering is done and you are now seeing the best possible preview in the Edit area.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details and results in your reply.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0
            rosemaryj58383381 Level 1

Wow, that is an amazingly detailed reply, thank you. I will do my best with this new information and let you know if I need further help. Many thanks

• 3. Re: project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rosemaryj

Thanks for the reply. Any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0
                rosemaryj58383381 Level 1

Thank you ATR. We have windows 8.1. We have done everything you suggested apart from converting the file format and it is working a lot better now. I am still finding it tricky but the main problem may just be that I am not used to the software! Many thanks again for all your help.

Rosemary

• 5. Re: project settings panasonic hdc-sd20 premiere elements 8.0
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rosemary

Thanks for the additional information.

Please explore the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 AVCHD workflows to determine if practice improves the smoothness of the workflows.

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, you may want to explore the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 13 to determine if your workflows become easier to manage and be taken to a successful conclusion. Your Premiere Elements 13 on your Windows 8.1 64 bit will be a 64 bit application in contrast to what you have now in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 32 bit application. This has significant computer resource/application implications.

There is a major difference in the workspaces of versions 10 and earlier compared to 11 and later. That might take some getting used to. Principles are the same, but the workspaces and feature locations often are not. If you do decide to give it a troubleshooting look, you do not have to uninstall 8.0/8.0.1. Just use one Premiere Elements version at a time.

Best wishes

ATR