12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2015 10:00 AM by A.T. Romano

Burning DVD

stanleyoc

Will HD project be burnt to DvD as 1920 x 1080 or just 720 x 480?

• 1. Re: Burning DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

All DVDs are 720x480.

BluRay discs are 1920x1080.

• 2. Re: Burning DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stanelyoc

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is involved?

Depends on how you are using the designation DVD - as a disc type or a shorthand for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.  All DVD discs used in Premiere Elements do not result with a 720 x 480 resolution for the format on the disc.

If you have a HD project and you select the sharing choice Share or Publish+Share/Disc/DVD, you get DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc.

The resolution of that end product is 720 x 480 (NTSC). and 720 x 480 16:9 (NTSC) respectively. In the case of the widescreen, the 16:9 flag stretches the video to about 872 x 480 for display after encoding.

If you use that same HD project and select the sharing choice Share or Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD, you get AVCHD format on a DVD disc. The resolution in this case can be 1920 x 1080.

If you use that same HD project and select the sharing choice Publish+Share/Disc/Blu-ray, you get Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. The resolution in this case can be 1920 x 1080.

If you need more information about the Premiere Elements burn to choices, please give more detail including version of Premiere and operating system.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Burning DVD
              stanleyoc Level 1

Final Cut ProX seems to only give 720x480 on DVD. (I'm not sure if it is now 'PAL' .  Not NTSC anyway).

I do not have Elements but am considering it as an alternative.

Many thanks for full answer.

S

• 4. Re: Burning DVD
                stanleyoc Level 1

That is what I am getting from Final Cut Pro X.

Considering alternative.

Thanks, S

• 5. Re: Burning DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

staneyoc

If we are dealing with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 current version , the PAL counterparts for what I wrote in post 2 would be

1. DVD-VIDEO standard 4:3 on DVD disc, 720 x 576 @ 25 interlaced frames per second

2. DVD-VIDEO widescreen 16:9 on DVD disc, 720 x 576 16:9 @ 25 interlaced frames per second (with the 16:9 stretch for display after encoding about 1050 x 576)

3. AVCHD on DVD disc...1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second or 23.97 progressive frames per second

4. Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second or 23.97 progressive frames per second

If history repeats itself, Adobe will be releasing a new version of Premiere Elements in September October 2015. The free 30 day tryout version will be 13 until that time. Are you going Premiere Elements Windows or Mac as your alternative to Final Cut Pro X? It is expected that the information provided would be applicable to Premiere Elements Windows and Mac. I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

ATR

• 6. Re: Burning DVD
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Note that AVCHD on a DVD, however, are not true DVDs. They are just BluRay videos stored on a DVD disc.

They will NOT play in a DVD player.

All true DVDs are standard resolution.

• 7. Re: Burning DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

stanelyoc

If you write and define the term "DVD" as a disc type, then there are no true or false DVD discs. Just DVD discs.

If you define the end product as a particular format on a particular disc type, then you get into the classical resolutions for the format on a given disc with a specific disc file system.

Often the term "DVD" is used to point to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. But, with the possible choice of AVCHD, that is not necessarily the case. So, when you ask about DVD burning, that could mean DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc. See possible resolutions cited above in post 2 and post 5.

True, AVCHD on DVD (higher resolution end product) cannot be played back on regular DVD player - needs Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multimedia players that supports AVCHD DVD.  But, it can be produced using Premiere Elements burn to with a "regular" DVD burner, not Blu-ray burner.

ATR

• 8. Re: Burning DVD
                        stanleyoc Level 1

Many thanks for the information. It gives me lots to think about.

Regards, S

• 9. Re: Burning DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

stanelyoc

Just Add On...I did some online searching on Final Cut Pro X and found out that you can do burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc either as standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9. The catch seems to be which one you get will depend on the project preset...if HD 16:9 project preset, then the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is 16:9, if SD 4:3 project preset, then the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is 4:3.

This leads me to believe that you are looking for a program that offers a HD format specifically on a DVD disc. This seems to be the case, since you appear to have the option to burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc in Final Cut Pro X.

What is the player for whatever you want to produce?

ATR

• 10. Re: Burning DVD
                            stanleyoc Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate all the information.

Regards, S

• 11. Re: Burning DVD
                              stanleyoc Level 1

To make a DVD in FCPx a 1920x1080 project is converted to 720x480.

FCPx seems to be able to try to compress a project regardless of size, especially over 4.7GB.

( I do not yet wish to make a Blu-Ray disc).

I am also unclear about why a feature film can be compressed onto a DVD and still look good.

S.

• 12. Re: Burning DVD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

stanleyoc

Thanks for the follow up.

As pointed to before, whether NTSC DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc 4:3 or 16:9, the frame size is 720 x 480. But, with the widescreen 16:9 version, a 16:9 flag stretches the video (to about 872 x 480) for display after encoding.

If you have the FCPx with 1920 x 1080 project settings, then, when you select DVD in your export choices, it refers to the DVD-VIDEO format, and you should get the widescreen 16:9 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Are you?

With those DVD discs....the one labelled 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB...the one labelled 8.5 GB/240 minutes is in reality 7.95 GB.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so I will not go to deeper into FCPx. But, in Premiere Elements there is a burn to option "Fit Contents into Available Space". The Space Required and the Bitrate are clearly stated before the burn to. With that option enabled, the program will automatically adjust its bitrate downward from max 8.00 Mbps in order to lower the file size in order to make the disc fit. Lower the bitrate, the lower the quality. The burn to itself uses a variable bitrate which can be less than max 8.00 Mbps at times as seen when you explore the end project disc properties.

ATR