19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 4:43 PM by Warren Heaton

[Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

lisao61972569

We have a little studio in our office used to record training material. We're trying to stream the video from the camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements. The preview window in Adobe Premiere Elements looks high quality but when played in the app or even when rendered and exported the video is degraded dramatically.

Our setup:

• Inogeni HDMI / 4k to USB Capture Card
      • Sony HDD camcorder set to HD FH format (other options: HD HQ, HD SP, HD LP)
      • HP Pro 3500: Win 7 Professional 64-bit, 4GB RAM
      • Adobe Premiere Elements 13

How we're capturing:

The camcorder doesnt have a firewire out. So, we're using the HDMI out with an external Inogeni HDMI / 4k to USB capture card to stream the video into the computer.

Adobe Premiere Elements Settings:

Under Add Media, I only have the Webcam or WDM option, I don't see a DV or HDV option, so that's what we're using.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[You need to ask in the correct forum... moved from Premiere Pro to Premiere Elements... Mod]

• 1. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lisao

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 no longer has the DV and HDV data capture firewire in a Premiere Elements Capture Window feature. The last version that has that feature is 12/12.1. Please refer to the Adobe document on removed features and Adobe suggested workarounds.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 does have project presets and export settings for 4K video (3840 x 2160). Can you transfer your video to the computer hard drive and then import your video in the project using Add Media/Files and Folders?

The program is designed to have the project automatically set the project settings based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline of a new project. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. For the not times, then you set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project) before you import the source media into the project.

What specific Sony camcorder are you using...model/settings?

Please review, consider, and supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
            Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

As I'm sure you've noticed, Inogeni doesn't offer too much in the way of product documentation specific to any of the "tested applications" for video capture.

It looks like you're running into a software/hardware miss-match.  The documentation indicates that no software drivers are needed (that's usually the first thing one would check).

I found this quick start document on Inogeni's web page that sort of covers how to capture video in VLC Player:  http://inogeni.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/quick_start_guide_inogeni.pdf

I'd try capturing in VLC Player and then (if successful) import those file into Premiere Elements for editing.

If your camcorder is not HDV nor DV, then neither HDV nor DV would be the right choices in Premiere Elements (those are meant specifically for camcorders and computers with iLink/FireWire).

The webcam option doesn't sound right either.  Based on the quick start PDF, you'd want to be selecting "INOGENI HDMI".

Plan B:

Your Sony camcorder probably has a USB port for transferring files form the internal HDD to your computer.  It may or may not require an application from Sony to do this.  It might also simply mount like other mass storage media would.  Depending on the format that the Sony records, it may or may not be easy to locate the video files (for example, AVCHD camcorders bury the MTS files a few folders down in the directory structure).

Report back if you find a solution.

• 3. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
              lisao61972569 Level 1

The camera is an HDR-SR11. Really appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

• 4. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                lisao61972569 Level 1

The reason I can't record on the camcorder and use the USB connect is because I'm using an external lapel mic, so I'd really like everything to stream into the computer.

We also want to use it for webcasts, so we need the streaming to work.

Any further suggestions?

• 5. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

lisao

Have you looked at the following and does it meet your video projects needs in any way?

Attach your Sony HDR-SR11 to the computer via a USB cable.

Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1, and go to Add Media/Videos from Flip or Cameras/Video Importer from where you set the Save In location for the imported media, and "Get Media" to Timeline if you have checked that option in the Video Importer dialog. This is all provided that the Source field in the Video Importer recognizes you camcorder.

But, if you have gotten the Add Media/Web cam choice to work for you and your "only" problems revolve around

The preview window in Adobe Premiere Elements looks high quality but when played in the app or even when rendered and exported the video is degraded dramatically.

Let us focus on your project and export settings.

1. What are the properties of your source files? Make sure that the project preset has been set to match the properties of your source media. If you are letting the project set the project preset automatically based on its analysis of the first file dragged or taken to the Timeline, it may not be doing it correctly. Then you set the project preset manually File Menu/New/Project before you hit Add Media/Web cam. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to see what was set as project preset.

2. You should not be getting a drastically degraded export of the Timeline content. What is your specific choice of export - Publish+Share/Computer/ then what and what preset? Are you accepting the default settings for the preset or customizing it under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, Audio Tab, Multiplexer Tab of the preset?

Please review, consider, and supply more details so that we might fine tune the reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

Hi lisao:

It sounds like you're recording live from the camera to your computer.  If that's the case, Premiere Elements isn't the right application.

With Premiere Elements, you want to record to the camera first.  Then move the recorded files to your computer to be imported into and edited in Premiere Elements.

-Warren

• 7. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                      lisao61972569 Level 1

The video source file when imported from USB connect has the following properties:

AVCHD video

file type: .MTS

1920x1080

framerate 29f/sec

Here are the project settings Im using to add media:

project settings.png

Here's the project settings under General:

project settings - general.png

This is what the video looks like when the video is imported. Looks perfect.

imported video.png

This is the result from streaming. It's degraded and the screen size is off.

streamed video.png

Here's what the image looks like when I'm capturing. It's high-quality.

capture screen.png

Much appreciated.

• 8. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

lisao

After you capture your video, click stop, and find your recording on the Timeline...please go to Premiere Elements Expert workspace Project Assets, find the thumbnail for that capture, right click the thumbnail, select Properties, and tell us what the properties are for

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Thanks

ATR

• 9. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                          lisao61972569 Level 1

Seems like you're on the right track. The frame size is being reduced.

Frame size: 720x480

Frame rate: 23.96

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 0.9091

Any further suggestions?

• 10. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

lisao

Thanks for the follow ups.

I suspect that the resolution of the capture is being controlled by the Premiere Elements feature instead of the resolution of the camcorder.

Speculating that Premiere Elements web cam is going to give you a DV.avi standard 4:3 or DV.avi widescreen 16:9, under the circumstances, I am not seeing why it is not giving you at least the DV.avi widescreen 16:9 (720 x 480 16:9 where the 16:9 flag stretches the video to about 872 x 480 for display after encoding).

Typically it is written, if you record 16:9, then you set a 16:9 project preset. But, you have done all that.

I would have to search more to look into the contributions here from HDMI and your capture card.

I have seen online articles about those having a HD web cam and wanting to capture into Movie Maker and are getting 640 x 480 instead of the wanted 1280 x 720 or higher. In those cases, the suggestion was to capture in another program and then import the captures into Movie Maker.

Since your captures are turning out to be 720 x 480 4:3, not sure it worthwhile, but you could try scaling the 720 x 480 4:3 to fit the 1920 x 1080 space created in the Edit area monitor as directed by the choice of the project preset. Typically not a good idea scaling upward, but worth a last try.

I will think about this some more. Please update on your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

You need your capture settings to be 1920x1080, otherwise you're capturing 720x480 footage to be used in a 1920x1080 project.

-Warren

• 12. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                                lisao61972569 Level 1

I thought my capture settings are set to 1920x1080? Please see the first image I posted. If this is not correct then please advise on what I need to do to ensure it is capturing in 1920x1080.

• 13. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

Your post at Jul 30, 2015 2:32 PM indicates 720x480.

-Warren

• 14. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                                    lisao61972569 Level 1

Warren, what do I need to do to change my capture settings to 1920x1080? As far as I know, I had already done this but for whatever reason the clip generated is 720x480.

• 15. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

Hi lisao:

If you're sure that the  "Capture" options in the Project Settings window are set to 1920x1080, I'm not sure.  Most likely, it's either not set to 1920x1080 or there's an issue with it not changing to 1920x1080.

Have you tried creating a new project, double-checking the capture settings in the process, and then capturing a clip?

Your USB capture hardware supports a very long list of applications.  At this point, I'd try using a different application to capture the video.  (For example, VLC Player is freeware and supports your device.)  Then, import the captured video into your Premiere Elements project.

-Warren

• 16. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                                        lisao61972569 Level 1

Any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 18. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Warren and lisao

Warren

You and lisao have gone back and forth over Premiere Elements and settings matters that were already gone through prior to your posting.

You have posted

Your USB capture hardware supports a very long list of applications.  At this point, I'd try using a different application to capture the video.  (For example, VLC Player is freeware and supports your device.)  Then, import the captured video into your Premiere Elements project.

You give the impression that you have used this workflow to obtain the goals that lisao seek. But now lisao reports that the VLC captures do not work.

Are there details of your workflow that you have not shared yet that would explain why the VLC captures are not working for lisao?

I note that your expertise appears to be in After Effects. Is there an After Effects workflow for this that you are coming from? I do not use After Effects and do not know what it can and cannot do.

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: [Please Help] Issue trying to stream from camcorder into Adobe Premiere Elements

Hi A.T.:

I'm just covering standard troubleshooting for capturing live video with the following patch: a camcorder HDMI video out to the the HDMI in of a USB video capture device.

That is, if capturing in software application A is not working as expected (in this case Premiere Elements), then one should try software package B (VLC Player, but it could have been any of the several applications listed in the Inogeni USB device documentation).

Between your posts on settings specific to Premiere Elements to mine about expanding the troubleshooting to hardware and hardware/software combinations, the hope was to get things working for lisao as expected (capturing, editing, and exporting at full HD).

If I've been redundant, that was not my intention.  I mentioned trying VLC Player a second time simply because it seemed that lisao had not tried that yet and I mentioned 1920x1080 to reiterate the importance of that frame size setting (which, for the most part, seems that everyone is aware of).

lisao:

You mentioned that you need to capture live via your USB device so that you can record voice over via a lapel microphone.

Did you try patching the lapel mic to the camcorder, recording the video with your voice over, and then transferring the recorded file over via USB connect?  With this approach, you'd have a 1920x1080 29.97 MTS file with your picture and voice over together.

At this point, you could also reach out to Inogeni's support department.

Side note:

My experience with video capture both live and from tape is rather extensive, covering a wide range of camcorders and tape formats as well as software and third party video capture cards/devices.  Once upon a time (circa 1998), there was a video capture solution for After Effects in the ICE family of products. It was a brilliant, yet short lived, product.

-Warren