5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 12:54 PM by ricda

Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?

marybethd21159134

I've been workingin InDesign for 15+ years and have never had such slow processing time for minor functions. I just move something and I get the pinwheel of death. I have deadlines and charge my clients by the hours. This is extremely frustrating. I've already contacted Apple to see if the issue was on their end. They referred me to Adobe support, saying that it was an issue that MANY people report to them.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO SPEED UP INDESIGN.

• 1. Re: Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?
          davidp7738153

I am having the same issue. InDesign CC is so painfully slow and I can't figure out why. It is practically unusable. Illustrator CC and Photoshop CC run just fine, and I run all sorts of CAD programs with no problems. I uninstalled/reinstalled, didn't make a difference.

I have InDesign CC 11.1.0.122.

My computer is a MacBook Pro 15", 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory, NVIDIA GT 750M graphics card.

My OS is Yosemite 10.10.5.

Not sure why this is the only program my computer has a problem running.

• 2. Re: Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?
            Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try turning off the CCLibraries in the Activity Monitor.

• 3. Re: Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?
              Claudia McCue Level 1

A few things to try:

-In preferences > Interface, try moving the "Hand Tool" slider toward "Better Performance"

-Set Live Screen Drawing to Delayed

-In Pages panel menu, turn on page thumbnails

If it's a long document, try turning off Preflight, reactivating it only when you take a break and want to make sure everything is OK, then turn it back off.

If you have lots of other apps running, close down unnecessary ones to free up RAM.

And if none of this helps, please let me know.

• 4. Re: Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?
                Mike Fernbank Level 1

It doesn't matter how much RAM you have, what you do to your prefs files, which OS you are using, or anything like that. I'm using a simple one page ID document and I can't even type text. It is more than simple. The problem is that Adobe has a monopoly on the graphic design industry and doesn't care to upgrade the code to its software. It's much cheaper (and more money in the executive staff's pockets) to just ignore problems. This, or any problem with this toxic company, will never be fixed until another company comes along to give them some competition. They have no pride in their product. They have no pride in their work. That is the real answer, I'm afraid.

MHBrown

• 5. Re: Why is InDesign CC so SLOW?
                  ricda Level 1

Im seriously thinking of discontinuing my cloud membership and just re use my CS5 master collection, its just to slow.