12 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2006 4:49 PM by Ozzieuk

Help with Website

Ozzieuk
      Hello people,
      i own a warehouse and wanted to create a website for my warehouse with products and all sorts of stuff.
      the items that i sell at my warehouse is food and drinks company.

can anyone give me a rough idea on what to make and designs also.

please contact me
        • 1. Re: Help with Website
          Level 7
          First, start off learning HTML and CSS - then you'll be able to understand
          how to make your own designs. Here are some "brief" tutorials to get you
          started, but I'd definitly pick up a book, something like "The Missing
          Manual." -

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp .
          http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp .

Or - the easy way out - purchase a template. If you really have no knowledge
          of HTML and CSS, you're already wanting to do e-commerce which is the piece
          of meat that finally overflows your plate.

Stick with the basics, first.

HTH, take care.

--
          Shane H
          shane@NOSPAMavenuedesigners.com
          http://www.avenuedesigners.com

"Ozzieuk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e43e74$bmm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello people,
          > i own a warehouse and wanted to create a website for my warehouse with
          > products and all sorts of stuff.
          > the items that i sell at my warehouse is food and drinks company.
          >
          > can anyone give me a rough idea on what to make and designs also.
          >
          > please contact me
          >

• 2. Re: Help with Website
            Level 7
            > i own a warehouse

suggestion:
            do some research on what you need a web site to do for your business, then
            put out some Requests For Proposals and interview some developers. Unless
            you have a lot of free time to learn something you'll only do once- Your
            time would be better spent doing what you do well and paying a qualified
            person or firm to build the web site.

This would be your first web site. Might take months and months. Or a year.
            Or never get finished.
            It would be the 50th or more finished site for a qualified developer. Might
            be done in a few weeks depending on what's involved.

• 3. Re: Help with Website
              Level 7
              My recommendation depends on whether you are just going to list your
              products, so your clients and possilbe clients can determine what you carry
              or are you planning to sell products from the site.

If you are just plaaning to show your products you can develop a simple
              site, but if you are planning to do an ecommerce site then you will needed
              some professional assistance. Some hosting companies will assist your
              creation of an ecommerce site, it will cost you $$$. I suggested you look at
              look at your rival companies site to determine what they have, then sketch
              your ideas out. Run it past some web developers and hosting companies to
              determine your possible cost.

Then choose whether you wish to create yourself or hire someone.

Good luck.

Eugene J. Maes

http://www.ejmconsulting.org

> Hello people,
              >
              >
              > please contact me
              >

• 4. Re: Help with Website
                Ozzieuk Level 1
                here is what i want the website for.
                there is going to be NO ECOMMERCE involved, i want customers to see what products we sell.

what the site will consist of.

Homepage, About US, Products, how to order, Contact us

i have some knowledge on HTML, but i aint no expert.

what can people reccommed for me to do
                • 5. Re: Help with Website
                  Level 7
                  Sounds like you really need to talk to a developer about your needs and hire
                  out the job.
                  If you have plenty of time to learn and aren't particularly fussed on when
                  the site is up for people to view, then learn some html and css, check out
                  pages you like and try and create your own website as you learn. You
                  could always hire someone to design the layout and then possibly consider
                  the use of Contribute so that you can edit the pages, add products,
                  descriptions etc after they hand the website over to you.

--
                  Nadia
                  Adobe� Community Expert : Dreamweaver
                  --------------------------------------------
                  http://www.csstemplates.com.au - CSS Templates | Free Templates
                  --------------------------------------------
                  http://www.DreamweaverResources.com - Dropdown Menu Templates|Tutorials
                  http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html - CSS Tutorials
                  -------------------------------------------------

> Hello people,
                  >
                  >
                  > please contact me
                  >

• 6. Re: Help with Website
                    Level 7
                    In article <e43e74$bmm$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                    "Ozzieuk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Hello people,
                    >
                    >
                    > please contact me

get pen and paper. Surf to your competitors sites. See what you like and
                    dislike about theirs. Surf to other type of sites related to your
                    industry and again, note what you like and dislike.

Then if you're going to 'do-it-yourself', start learning some HTML & CSS
                    and how to use Dreamweaver.
                    • 7. Re: Help with Website
                      malinchista
                      Hey Ozzie,

I might be flamed for suggesting this, but if you want to play around with some software yourself, to see what you're getting yourself into, you might download the opensource program, NVU from http://www.nvu.com

It's not as sophisticated as DW, but it's very user-friendly, and there are various tutorials available for it elsewhere online. This should give you an idea of what's involved in creating a website, and can help you decide whether you want to hire a designer or do it yourself....

s.
                      • 8. Re: Help with Website
                        Level 7
                        Or just donwload the DW trial....

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                        ==================

"malinchista" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:e45ula$at4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Hey Ozzie,
                        >
                        > I might be flamed for suggesting this, but if you want to play around with
                        > some software yourself, to see what you're getting yourself into, you
                        > might
                        > download the opensource program, NVU from http://www.nvu.com
                        >
                        > It's not as sophisticated as DW, but it's very user-friendly, and there
                        > are
                        > various tutorials available for it elsewhere online. This should give you
                        > an
                        > idea of what's involved in creating a website, and can help you decide
                        > whether
                        > you want to hire a designer or do it yourself....
                        >
                        > s.
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re: Help with Website
                          Level 7
                          In article <e45ula$at4$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                          "malinchista" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I might be flamed for suggesting this, but if you want to play around with
                          > some software yourself, to see what you're getting yourself into, you might
                          > download the opensource program, NVU from http://www.nvu.com

I see no reason for a flame! Very good idea. Heard this program before
                          but never tried. And, it's probably A LOT smaller a download than DW
                          trial! And, it's multilingual (Windows, Mac, Linux).
                          • 10. Re: Help with Website
                            Ozzieuk Level 1
                            thanks people.
                            i will tell you lot what i can do and what i have done.

what i can do:
                            -i know intermediate level of HTML
                            -i know beginer level CSS reaching to intermediate
                            i know intermediate level on how to use DW and have studio 8

what i have done:
                            - researched on what the webpage will consist of
                            -i know how many pages i will use

what i want:
                            i just want a rough idea on how to make the webpage stand out better.

the webpage that has been done from previous creater.
                            www.gardenfoods.co.uk

please check this out and give me better idea's on what to do to make it better.
                            i dont want to use FLASH apart from making a banner.
                            • 11. Re: Help with Website
                              Level 7
                              In article <e499p6$63b$1@forums.macromedia.com>,
                              "Ozzieuk" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> thanks people.
                              > i will tell you lot what i can do and what i have done.
                              >
                              > what i can do:
                              > -i know intermediate level of HTML
                              > -i know beginer level CSS reaching to intermediate
                              > i know intermediate level on how to use DW and have studio 8
                              >
                              > what i have done:
                              > - researched on what the webpage will consist of
                              > -i know how many pages i will use
                              >
                              > what i want:
                              > i just want a rough idea on how to make the webpage stand out better.
                              >
                              > the webpage that has been done from previous creater.
                              > www.gardenfoods.co.uk
                              >
                              > please check this out and give me better idea's on what to do to make it
                              > better.
                              > i dont want to use FLASH apart from making a banner.

The <BODY> doesn't have a background declared. I see *my* pink (hee, hee
                              someone gave me that idea recently).

There's a bunch of logos but not intuitive to a novice to click one. Or,
                              what they mean -- would the visitor know what these logos represent?
                              I've clicked one all about olives <LOL!>

Not sure about iframes and if there's any issues as I've never used
                              them. Personally, I don't like the navigation used for the iframe,
                              again, not intuitive. Nor does it allow scrolling, I need to click
                              continuously for it to move.

I then clicked another item from the menu but it took awhile for logo to
                              load (the Garden fruit juice).

Under Categories (right) I clicked more... but nothing happened. Also,
                              there's a white rectangle vertically displayed to the left side of the
                              GO button.

Like that the icons for contact are properly explained on hover! (Too
                              many folks assume you know what they mean)

Colourful, type size easy to read. Now, I'm HUNGRY!!!!
                              • 12. Re: Help with Website
                                Ozzieuk Level 1
                                this site is that old version, it still gets used but i want to create a better looking site.

what can people consider