3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 2:20 PM by A.T. Romano

Using "Scale to Frame Size" command

freethedata Level 1

In want to import into PRE12 a mixture of stills and videos that are mostly 16x9 frame aspect ratio, but also including some 4x3 stills.  I cannot seem to be able to use the "Scale to Frame Size" command to properly crop the 4x3s to 16x9 frame ratio.  In the preferences settings, I first clicked on "Scale to frame size"; the 16x9 imported with the proper scale and the 4x3 with sidebars.  I want the 4x3 to be cropped so the frame is the original width, but the tops and bottoms cropped off.  So I right-clicked on the file on the time-line, and unchecked "Scale to frame size".  The image on the monitor magnified so much that it was cropped horizontally as well as vertically.  I right-clicked on the monitor and selected a different magnification, but this only changed the size of the monitor window and not the crop factor.  Then I tried unclicking "Scale to frame size" in the Preferences, but then all the 16x9 images imported cropped to display less image than on the original frame, which is totally unacceptable.  So my question is, is there any way to import the 4x3 images and automatically crop them to 16x9, and still retain all the information in the horizontal direction, without having to crop each image in the photo editor first to get the desired results?  The preset is for AVCHD 1080p30f.

• 1. Re: Using "Scale to Frame Size" command
          A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

I am not seeing an "automatic" in what you describe. But, the following may be of help

What are the pixel dimensions of these 4:3 stills?

Select your Timeline file, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and remove the check mark next to "Constrain Proportions". That will allow you to scale the Scale Width and Scale Height separately at the monitor level or from Motion Panel expanded Scale property.

To be continued...

ATR

• 2. Re: Using "Scale to Frame Size" command
            freethedata Level 1

Great suggestion; just what I was looking for.  That control allows me to scale the image so all the horizontal information displays without sidebars, yet there is no overscan of the horizontal info, as there is at the default setting.  I prefer to keep "constraint proportions" checked, so the image is just cropped at top and bottom, and no aspect distortion is introduced.  This is a lot easier than doing a photo edit.  And the finished product looks much more pleasing.  The viewer could notice that some images have sidebars, but they will never notice that some images are cropped.  Thanks.

Sent from my iPad

• 3. Re: Using "Scale to Frame Size" command
              A.T. Romano Level 7

freethedata

Glad that the Motion Scale and its Constrain Proportions choices worked for you.

Thank for letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR