7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 1:25 PM by Just Shoot Me

Catalogs and collection sets

UncleT

To avoid generating a huge database, I split my photos into 4 catalogs. Right now, I am working on a project which requires me to access photos from 3 catalogs, and it is a pain to have to switch catalogs all the time. Is there a way to see the photos I have selected in each catalog without having to switch? I am thinking of setting up a collection set that is common to all 3 catalogs. Is that possible? If so, how?

I am running Lightroom 5.7, Mac version.

Thanks for your help.

KT

• 1. Re: Catalogs and collection sets
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No there isn't. That is why you should have all your images in one catalog. Then if you like you have collections, to mimic the catalogs you now have, and then other collections for your projects. You could have one images in any number of collections. So you could have collections for your catalogs and then other collections for your project which could include any number of images from your other collections.

• 2. Re: Catalogs and collection sets
            dj_paige Level 9

To avoid generating a huge database, I split my photos into 4 catalogs.

I would certainly not advise this, there is no reason in Lightroom to avoid a "huge database", some people in this forum report over 1/2 million images in their Lightroom catalog.

Right now, I am working on a project which requires me to access photos from 3 catalogs, and it is a pain to have to switch catalogs all the time. Is there a way to see the photos I have selected in each catalog without having to switch?

This is one of many major drawbacks to multiple catalogs. There is no way to access or see photos in different catalogs without having to switch.

I am thinking of setting up a collection set that is common to all 3 catalogs. Is that possible? If so, how?

not possible. Another major drawback to multiple catalogs.

My advise is to combine everything back to a single catalog, and stop falsely worrying about the problems associated with large catalogs, as there really are no such problems.

• 3. Re: Catalogs and collection sets
              UncleT Level 1

Thank you, and dj_paige, for your prompt responses.

I shall have to consider consolidating everything into one catalog then. Not looking forward to it.

KT

• 4. Re: Catalogs and collection sets

unclet wrote:

I shall have to consider consolidating everything into one catalog then. Not looking forward to it.

KT

Why? That is the way LR was/IS meant to be used. All images in one location to search and find whatever image you are looking for. You can split the actual images into any number of folders on your drives. You can name those folders anything you like. You could have 10/20/30 thousand folders to place you images in. Just because they are in one LR catalog doesn't mean all your images are in the same folder on your drive. You can also have many many collections and collections sets, collections IN collections.

LR is an Image Management Program. If you don't have all your images in one LR catalog, Database, you can't manage all your images at the same time. As you have found out.

• 5. Re: Catalogs and collection sets
                  dj_paige Level 9

unclet wrote:

KT

Agreeing with Shootisbond007

You have a lot of false ideas in your mind about large catalogs, none of which are true, and it seems like you are not seeing the benefits of having everything in one catalog — such as the very problem you are trying to solve is gone if you have one catalog.

• 6. Re: Catalogs and collection sets
                    UncleT Level 1

When I started to work with PC's and MSDOS in the 1980's, we have database programs such as DB2 and DB3, and it was drummed into me that a big database would always be corrupted, and it was correct, I had my share of glitches with databases. I suppose technology has advanced without my knowing it.

KT

• 7. Re: Catalogs and collection sets

There are Photographers that have hundreds of thousand of image all in one LR catalog without any problems. I would certainly hope Database software has come a long way since MSDOS day. In fact if it hadn't you would have a credit card or the internet or email or many other computer programs.