13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2006 9:34 AM by aniebel

Looking for a party!

aniebel Level 2
      Hi, I can't seem to find anything that closely fits the effect I am looking for. I'd like to find a tutorial or the like of exploding confetti using particles. I am going to try to edit a snow effect to get what I'm looking for but I wonder if anyone's seen something closer to what I am looking for??
        • 1. Re: Looking for a party!
          Sketchsta Level 1
          Hey aniebel, have a look at this, it might help you go in the right direction with your exploding confetti project.

Particle Swarm

Hope it helps.
          • 2. Re: Looking for a party!
            aniebel Level 2
            Thanks, close but no cigar. ;) I'm busy editing a fountain particle emitter so if I get it working, I'll post it.

Thanks for replying!
            • 3. Re: Looking for a party!
              Sketchsta Level 1
              Ohh well, I tried. =)

I should learn the particle system too, but it's too advanced for me at the moment.
              I'll get there someday.

anyway,
              good luck with the project. look foreward to seeing the finished product. =)
              • 4. Re: Looking for a party!
                aniebel Level 2
                This is based on Seb Lee Delisle's particles... a wealth of knowledge there! I just edited the class and the script to suit my needs. Then I made my confetti mc (with "Export for AS" checked in Linkage) with 5 keyframes, all different tints.

CLASS:
                • 5. Re: Looking for a party!
                  Sketchsta Level 1
                  I can't view it,
                  it keeps telling me that Classes may only be defined in external ActionScript 2.0 class scripts.

i saved it to an external .as file.
                  and #include in the FLA.. but still nothing..

i'm dumb!!! =(
                  • 6. Re: Looking for a party!
                    Peter Lorent Level 2
                    There are two kinds of external as files. The first is a bunch of functions/declarations and you use the include directive to... well, include them in your app. The second kind is a class file and then you don't use the include directive. The statement
                    particle = new ConfettiParticle("spark", holder_mc, 0, 0);
                    does the trick (when the class file is saved in the same folder as the .fla).
                    • 7. Re: Looking for a party!
                      Sketchsta Level 1
                      ok im not getting any errors now.. Thanx LuigiL...

but im not seeing anything in the swf, or test Movie...

i save the .as file as spark.as right??
                      • 8. Re: Looking for a party!
                        Peter Lorent Level 2
                        No. Save as ConfettiParticle.as
                        And, in the library of the fla there needs to be a mc with a linkage (library menu -> linkage) identifier 'spark' (create a small circle (for instance) and convert it to a movieclip -> give it the linkage identifier). Furthermore, if you wish to test the code as is, you need to put an mc on the stage and give it an instance name 'holder_mc'.
                        (see this line in the code: particle = new ConfettiParticle("spark", holder_mc, 0, 0);)
                        If you just want to test the code on the root (using _root as the target movieclip) replace that line with:
                        particle = new ConfettiParticle("spark", _root, 0, 0);
                        • 9. Re: Looking for a party!
                          Sketchsta Level 1
                          Thanx LuigiL, that did it.. =)

I feel soo dumb, I couldnt even figure this out... =(
                          I have a LOOOONG way to go... I'm worst than a newbie...
                          Thanx for the patience you have LuigiL =)

you're a great help as always..

Aniebel, Thats some great work there. Congratulations!!
                          I love it !!!
                          • 10. Re: Looking for a party!
                            Peter Lorent Level 2
                            No problem. A long time ago I was just another newbie...
                            • 11. Re: Looking for a party!
                              Sketchsta Level 1
                              How long have you been Action Scripting for?

Me, i've only just started to learn past the " stop(); gotoAndPlay(); on(rollOver); " about 2 months ago, maybe abit over.
                              * YES, i STILL use on(rollOver) instead of movieClip.onRollOver.() *

Im starting to use dotSyntax ALOT more now tho. Helps in learning AS.

I've been using Flash for alot longer tho, but never used much Action Script.. I can animate just about anything, just not with action script.
                              I'm slowly getting there tho.. keeping notes from all the help you guys have given me.. Also David Stiller's Blog, "WHOA" thats a middle sized Library of Flash info.. I wish i had alot of time to just sit down and read the whole lot, with Flash open so I can practice.
                              • 12. Re: Looking for a party!
                                Peter Lorent Level 2
                                I'm thinking too long... maybe I'm moving over to the operating system (OSX that is). Lots of success learning AS!
                                • 13. Re: Looking for a party!
                                  aniebel Level 2
                                  Glad you liked it. The majority of the work was done by Seb Lee Delisle though. Maybe one day I can give thanks to all the people who have helped me and maybe I can pay it forward by helping others too! This is the coolest thing (to me) about the Flash community.

Cheers!