29 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 6:06 AM by BobLevine

How to create an iPad Portfolio

browndogart

Hi,

I have searched and searched for an easy way to make an iPad Portfolio of my artwork (over 600 images and around 8 categories).  I find Indesign to be confusing and very difficult to use.  I don't need to create an app.  I just want a portfolio that can be distributed easily.  Is there another Adobe app that can help me?

• 1. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
          Derek Cross Level 6

If you have a subscription to the Creative Cloud suite, have a look at Adobe Muse.

• 2. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The current iteration of Muse is a good tool for what you want, although it's not unlike InDesign. Any capable, pro-level tool comes with a learning curve. It's interesting that on one hand, you're specific about iPad and on the other you want "distributed easily." I've seen some design situations in which those two concepts don't necessarily converge. I'd suggest an HTML(5) web site that is responsive and looks good on a variety of screen sizes.

• 3. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
              browndogart Level 1

Thanks for the replies.  Can Muse generate galleries easily?

I need it to:

1. Work offline. 

2. Be easy to add new images to the corresponding category.

3. Be easy to update for all the copies out in the field. 

4. Auto generate thumbnail galleries

5. Use file names to automatically title each photo (thumbnail and enlarged).

All of my clients/reps have iPads so that is my go to device. About a year ago I searched high and low on Adobe.com for a "How To".  The searches kept pulling up old articles and guides that were not applicable with the latest version on Indesign.

There should be a "How to make a Photo/Art Portfolio using Indesign CC 2015"  Surely there must be more simple tools in the latest version!

What about a portfolio template that can be personalized.  Do they exist?

My attempt to use Adobe crashed and burned so I had to use an iPad portfolio app called Xtrafolio.  It was simple yet powerful.  The only problem was the distribution side.  Clients/Reps had to buy the app then use my cloud based backup to import my portfolio into their devices.  It was cumbersome.  I just don't understand why Adobe doesn't create and app that can easily create an iPad portfolio for photographers and artist it would be huge!!!!

• 4. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

Can Muse generate galleries easily?

That's a pretty subjective question...with respect to what defines "gallery" and your concept of "easily."

If a "gallery" is a navigable picture browser, then yes. As far as whether it's easy; I think so, but mileage varies among drivers. Considering this:

browndogart wrote:

I find Indesign to be confusing and very difficult to use.

I may not be in a position to determine what you'd find easy. In my view InDesign is one of the most elegant and user-friendly creative apps ever conceived.

Can a Muse portfolio work offline?

With Muse, you'd be constructing a web site or page. So yes of course it could be opened and run from local storage...on a browser-equipped device which readily facilitates conventional file transfer or accommodates removable media. The infernal iPad may require some manner of trickery.

• 5. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                  All of my clients/reps have iPads so that is my go to device.

That's a serious handicap.

...I had to use an iPad portfolio app called Xtrafolio.  It was simple yet powerful.  The only problem was the distribution side.  Clients/Reps had to buy the app then use my cloud based backup to import my portfolio into their devices.  It was cumbersome.

That's the problem. The iPad is not a legitimate, open computing device. It's a front-end for iTunes purchases. It's intentionally...cumbersome...for anything else. I'm ever-perplexed by its popularity.

• 6. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                    browndogart Level 1

Hi John,

I didn't ask for a debate on what the iPad is or isn't.  I know the iPad's limitations but for a digital catalog used by a rep force there is nothing even close.  All my reps and clients own one so it's a no brainer.  Maybe that's why the iPad has all but shut down the competish.  You state "It's a front-end for iTunes purchases"  Wow the Apple haters have finally got it right.  OF COURSE THE IPAD IS A FRONT-END FOR ITUNES [personal attack deleted]!!!  That's what makes it great and keeps the entire Apple experience delightful.  I've worked with "open computing devices (Android) and they suck.  The whole android galaxy is imploding.  Even Samsung can't complete after copying everything but the logo but they can't even give their phones/tablets away.  Android tablets abound on Groupon.

Indesign is not a good piece of software for creating a digital portfolio that can be distributed.  It's a swiss army knife that has ripened into an overweight monstrosity.  There needs to be a good piece of software designed specifically for artist and photogs  to display their work on an iPad. It's really not a hard one.  Maybe Lightroom is the best way.  All they need to do is give it a few tweaks to make it a good portfolio tool.  There is definetly a vacuum which many apps on iTunes are taking advantage of, namely xTrafolio and other portfolio apps.  But they fall short when it comes to distribution.

I come from Mac Plus, PageMaker 1.0, $6k Laser printer days and stuck it out even when Scully nearly killed Apple so I'm not a newbie to this dog and pony show.  I know what is intuitive with respect to all things Mac and ID is not on that list.

Adobe states in the lit that ID is great for digital publishing but they don't make it clear how to use it to do the job they say it can do.  I don't have time to learn this overcomplicated software...I'm busy creating art.  When a search is done it pulls up a bunch of worthless old tutorials from 2012 etc.  Can't someone at Adobe sit down and write a tutorial on how to create an iPad portfolio with the most current ID?  My advise to Adobe is don't advertise an app can do something without showing how to do it.  I'm sure there's a youtube video some kid has made on how to do this but I sure can't find it after many hours of searching and it certainly isn't on Adobe's website.

• 7. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Watch the personal attacks. It won’t be tolerated.

You’re obviously way too busy to learn something new so my only suggestion is to perhaps hire someone.

• 8. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

BTW, a fixed layout epub would probably do what you want.

• 9. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                          browndogart Level 1

Hi Bob,

I’m not the one who started the personal attacks.  I simply asked for help finding an iPad portfolio / Indesign tutorial and some joker decided to start bashing the iPad.

I didn’t ask for iPad vs Android info.  I was very specific but he obviously has an anti iPad view point that should have been kept to himself.  I simply responded to his iPad attack.

• 10. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                            browndogart Level 1

Is there a tutorial on creating an ePub?  Will a "fixed layout" thumbnail gallery or image rotate?

• 11. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

You can take it as far as your imagination will allow.

You can find some excellent stuff on lynda.com by Anne-Marie Concepcion. If you don’t have a subscription, this link is good for a 10-day trial: www.lynda.com/trial/boblevine

It will require the latest version of InDesign. If you have a limited distribution you could do it with a DPS folio which is supported under CC2014 or earlier.

In either case there is a learning curve.

• 12. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                Indesign is not a good piece of software for creating a digital portfolio that can be distributed.

If you want easy distribution I would consider WordPress. There are plenty of responsive portfolio themes available and you wouldn't be up against app clearance with Apple or distribution—it would just be a URL. Expression is a fairly easy to use portfolio theme: Expression Photography Responsive WordPress Theme - WordPress | ThemeForest

• 13. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                  browndogart Level 1

Thanks for the link Bob, I will check it out.  It would be much less frustrating if it there was a clear (current) tutorial how to use it to publish to the iPad without creating an app.  And templates wouldn't hurt either

SquareSpace is a great example of the power and ease of use templates offer.  You simply choose your template and start adding content yet it has flexability.  What makes ID so hard is you have to start from scratch.  I get to the page setup and am presented with so many options like what device, the pixels, orientation, etc.  I wish you could just start creating and the design would be self responsive to the device.

My other concern is the gallery pages.  I need many pages of thumbnails.  Can ID do that?

• 14. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                    browndogart Level 1

Hi Rob,

I have created several WordPress sites but can they be used by a salesforce who might not have web access?  Maybe I just need to make an app but I have heard Apple is not keen on allowing portfolios on iTunes.

• 15. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

That is also what makes ID so powerful.

ID can do all of this, but not unless you invest the time to learn it. Absent that you will have to settle for canned solutions.

• 16. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                        browndogart Level 1

Rob, it's funny you mentioned the Expression theme, I have used that several times and like it.  But I don't think it can work offline like a digital catalog can it?

• 17. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

You could always do it as a web app.

• 18. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                            browndogart Level 1

Hi Bob,

I found this on lynda.com:

Watch the Online Video Course Creating Photography Ebooks

but it is from 2011!  Surely there must be a more current tutorial!  Do you know of any or has the software not changed from 2011?

• 19. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

Ann-Marie’s course on fixed layout epub is the best one I know of.

If you want to explore using a folio with Adobe Content Viewer, you can check out my Digital Publishing Suite course.

• 20. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

be used by a salesforce who might not have web access?

No web access? I didn't think that was possible—must be nice.

• 21. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                                  browndogart Level 1

Yes, sometimes sales reps don't have time to get the network name and password of the business they are calling on.  Example, "Hi I'm Joe Blow, selling widgets, I'd like to show you some but I need your network password to access your wifi network first."  Epic fail.  Sales people need the info pulled up immediately!  That's why the portfolio needs to be web independent during a presentation.

• 22. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

All I can tell you is that I’ve done countless folios to be used for private sales material using DPS.

• 23. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                                      browndogart Level 1

I want to know how to do the same!  Herein is my beef with Adobe...I don't think it's right for me to have to pay for 3rd party instructions from Lynda.com. Adobe should provide the proper instructions to build the digital portfolio. I paid Adobe for a product that is advertised to build a digital portfolio yet they fail to prove instructions on how to use said product. If you don't believe me try searching Adobe.com.  A tutorial using 2015 software is non existent.  Is it time for a class action to wake Adobe up?   Those with me on the pathetic support weigh in!  I simply want Adobe to provide proper support. I've never seen such weak instruction on an app.

The money I pay  Adobe  should include support to use the app in the way it is advertised. I should not need Lynda.com!  Adobe.com should provide me with this "how to" info. This is way screwed up!

• 25. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

I should not need Lynda.com!  Adobe.com should provide me with this "how to" info. This is way screwed up!

Does Home Depot assure that you are properly trained in the use of power tools? Does the manufacturer?

No. Their job is to make sure it functions properly and allows you to get the job done. It's on you to learn to use it properly. That takes time. These applications don't have "click here to create text" wizards.

• 26. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

I want to know how to do the same!

That statement speaks volumes. You should be thinking that you want to LEARN how.

• 27. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                                            ...for a digital catalog used by a rep force there is nothing even close.

...the iPad has all but shut down the competish.

OF COURSE THE IPAD IS A FRONT-END FOR ITUNES!!!  That's what makes it great and keeps the entire Apple experience delightful.

The whole android galaxy is imploding.

...I'm not a newbie to this dog and pony show.  I know what is intuitive with respect to all things Mac...

I don't have time to learn this overcomplicated software...I'm busy creating art.

Oh....

Sorry, I didn't know any of that.

• 28. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio
                                                              browndogart Level 1

John it seems you continually want to stir up a negative discussion. Which is so petty. Just drop it big guy!

My initial question was not asking if the iPad was a good platform but somehow that is the question you wanted to answer!  You injected your "off topic" opinion into this thread like a photo bomber!

I was asking how to create a digital portfolio for the iPad.

Here's your famous reply to my legitimate question:

"That's the problem. The iPad is not a legitimate, open computing device. It's a front-end for iTunes purchases. It's intentionally...cumbersome...for anything else. I'm ever-perplexed by its popularity."

and my response:

Oh,

Sorry I didn't know any of that.  

• 29. Re: How to create an iPad Portfolio

Browndogart does indeed have a legitimate question.

It’s been answered.

This thread has no where to go at this point. I'm locking it.