1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 5:26 AM by Cari Jansen

Anchor Text Box to Master Page Text Box

ryanbutterworth

Hey guys. Trying to solve an InDesign problem. I'm trying to anchor a text box to a text box in the master page.

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 4.37.18 PM.png

In the master page, I'll need to update xxxxx and yyyyy for the entire document. zzzzz is custom on every page. So, I'd like zzzzz to move left and right accordingly. Is this possible?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Anchor Text Box to Master Page Text Box
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Hi Ryan,

I'm not 100% on what you are trying to achieve, but how about the following solution (not using the anchored text frame) instead.

First of all define three text variables for each of the three pieces of text.

1. Type > Text Variables > Define...
          2. In the Text Variables dialog box, click New.
          3. Set Name to Variable1, and set Type to Custom text, then type the text for Variable1 in the Text area.
          4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for Variable2.

Next for the third Variable: does the text for this ZZZZZ by any chance appear as formatted text on the page somewhere? And is it formatted with a paragraph style? (or a character style). In that case you can define the third variable as follows:

1. Type > Text Variables > Define...
          2. In the Text Variables dialog box, click New.
          3. Set Name to Variable3, and set Type to Running Header (Paragraph Style).
          4. From the Style menu choose the paragraph style that is used to format the text, and also choose whether you want to filter out the First  or Last on Page (Use setting), and set any other settings.
          5. Click OK and Done to close the Text Variables dialog box.

You are now ready to insert the three text variables in a single text frame on the Master page.

1. Navigate to the master page.
          2. Set text insertion point in text frame, and choose Type > Text Variables > Insert Variables and choose Variable1, then repeat and choose Variable 2 and Variable3.
          3. Navigate to a document page that has this master page applied to it.

Would this solution work?

Cari