9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 7:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version

vickif2122189

I am so frustrated, this is my last attempt to try to get this fixed. I bought Elements about three weeks ago, it would not install after downloading, contacted Adobe via chat and somebody took over my computer, and I thought all was successfully installed. However, the program loaded very slowly, sometimes 10 minutes, then I noticed I had to stay signed in ALL THE TIME. when I signed out I got a message saying I had a trial version and it would expire in 30 days - but I had a keycode for the full version. So, I put it in but everytime I sign out and sign back in again, I get the same message. Chat is no help, I have been on their non-support system more than 8 hours since Sunday, they say somebody will contact me, it doesn't happen.

Three main issues: 1. I don't understand why I have to be signed in all the time, 2, why do I have a trial version and 3, the keycode just will not work, no way, no how. No phone number for tech support, only worthless chat. Can anybody recommend another software program, cuz it's so long Adobe, and I've been using their products for 20+ years!

• 1. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
          A.T. Romano Level 7

vickif

What did you buy - Photoshop Elements 13 or Premiere Elements 13 or both? What computer operating system is involved? If Photoshop Elements, it would be to your advantage to seek the expertise of those in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

Photoshop Elements

Somehow your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

Did a discussion of the Hosts file get brought up in your discussions with Adobe Chat?

Are you working with an Internet connection.

Are you saying that the serial number that came with the purchase product will no longer get you Signed In and into the Editor workspace of whatever program you have?

If you have purchased Premiere Elements 13 or Photoshop Elements 13 from Adobe as download and are within 30 days of purchase, you can contact Adobe to request a return/refund. It is very strict on the dating, so do not hesitate if you are going to return the product. See the information

Return, cancel, or exchange an Adobe order

If you purchased elsewhere, then you are governed by the return/refund policy of the seller.

Please consider and supply more information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
            vickif2122189 Level 1

I bought photoshop Elements V 13, so I am in the correct "community"

Hosts files were never discussed, and of course I have Internet connectivity

The download key works, I just have to input it everytime I sign in, which makes no sense, I have never had to do this with another program and again, why do I have to be signed in to an Adobe account anyway?

NO refund has been issued and it won't be.

• 3. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
              A.T. Romano Level 7

vickif

Please look at the name of this forum at the top of the web page. It shows Premiere Elements.

If you have Photoshop Elements 13 (photo editing software), you have posted in the wrong forum. I am seeing your thread here in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video editing software). These are forums for two different products. So, please, for your sake, post your question in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum where Photoshop Elements users such as Barbara Brundage and team can give you expert help.

This is not Adobe here. Rather user to user. I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way.. You need to be in a forum with people who specialize in the program that you have. I had remembered a Photoshop Elements issue that I read about in one of the Photoshop Elements Forum threads about hosts files that might relate to your issue. That is one line of troubleshooting that you might want to ask about when you post your thread in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

For your convenience, the following is the link to the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

Photoshop Elements

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                vickif2122189 Level 1

I am sorry, i am in the right forum, I bought Adobe Premiere Elements.

• 5. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

vickif

Thanks for the reply and checking the Elements program/version and letting us know that you have Premiere Elements 13/13.1. What computer operating system is involved?

1. Host Files. Please read the description of the Hosts File in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Premiere Elements 12 Editor Will Not Open

This will apply to 13 as well as 12.

Do you see any entries in the Hosts File beyond the line that reads

# ::1 localhost

If you see any, please let me know what you find, and then we will probably delete them...depends what you find.

2. Let us go through the typical drill questions

a. Does the problem exist with or without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

b. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements. And, are you running these programs as administrator?

c. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

d. When you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, do you find that all the categories have a path to a hard drive save location with lots of free space?

e. What is the default browser that your computer uses? Does it make a difference if you switches from Internet Explorer to Firefox or vice versa?

Let us start here and then we will decide what next based on the details and results in your reply. If you have questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                    vickif2122189 Level 1

I am on Win 7, and the online chat already went thru all of the drill questions. Computer is fine. Let me clarify:

I bought this program, downloaded, but the program would not install. I contacted Adobe and their support took over my computer and installed it, however:

• The program opens and runs fine as long as I am signed in, however, since I am always "connected" to Adobe I suspect that is why it is slow to open, sometimes taking several minutes.
                    • When I realized I was "signed in" I signed out and got a message that I would not be able to open the program without signing back in again which I thought was very odd.
                    • I signed back in, this is when I get the message that I have a TRIAL version and I can either sign in and continue or....enter the keycode.
                    • Keycode entered, I still have to sign in again, and the program opens and works.
                    • I sign out again, get the same message, and...reapeat, repeat, repeat, with this endless circle of entering the keycode, siging in, etc., etc.
                    • It appears that Adobe installed a TRIAL version even tho I had paid for the full version - and no matter what I do, it is not recognized as a "real" version and makes me put in that keycode over and over.
                    • Adobe will not fix this problem, give me a new keycode or uninstall the trial version and give me a 'real' version. Chat says somebody will contact me, never happens.
                    • 7. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

vickif

Thanks for the details.

I hesitate to write the following since you write that you have been a user of the products for 20 years plus. But, I must to be sure we are OK with the exchange of information so far.

Based on your latest details, I believe that you are working within the normal bounds of the program. And, if you continue to Sign In and Sign Out, you will continue with the program asking for serial number and seeing the dialog with the License this Product or Buy. Please consider the following and let me know if this is what Adobe Chat is telling you also.

That Help Menu/Sign Out or Sign In is the prior versions Help Menu/Deactivate system. So every time you Sign Out, you are deactivating the program which will require a Sign In which will require the serial number to activate the program again (License this product or Buy). The program is going to need the License this Product information in order to activate the program that you deactivated with the Sign Out. That is the way it is. Once you close down the program with Help Menu/Sign Out, there is no way to change that situation. And, Adobe typically uses the dialog that you describe for this matter.

You have a real version. And, you have a purchased serial number. Based on my current understanding of your situation, the same thing is going to happen if you get any new copy with any new serial number.

Adobe allows the purchased activated serial number to be on no more than 2 of your computers. The Sign in and Sign Out shines when you want to install the program on a 3rd computer and you need to deactivate one of the other 2 copies so as not to go over your quota.

It appears that you did the Sign Out Sign In for troubleshooting exploration. If you have a slow performing product, there are other avenues to pursue. And, you can get new installation files online into which you can insert your purchased serial number. Each would be real version with your purchased serial number.

Please let me know if I have interpreted your latest information correctly. I am eager for you to succeed. We can troubleshoot performance slowness if you want to and have not done all that already.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                        vickif2122189 Level 1

I guess I am at a loss, I have other Adobe programs and none require this kind of manipulation, perhaps I'm too old school, but for years - decades - when I buy a program, enter the Keycode, I never have to do this again unless of course I have to reinstall due to a computer crash or something like that. It honestly makes me want to look around for another program and so long Adobe. I'm just shaking my head over this. Thanks for your explanation, seems like I could have saved several hours in the pretty worthless chat thing.

• 9. Re: Bought the program, will not recognize key, always trial version
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

vicki

Thanks for the reply and consideration in reading though my comments.

Premiere Elements 11 and earlier used Help Menu/Deactivate which made it clearer the consequences of using that option.

But, for Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and latest version Premiere Elements 13/13.1, Adobe replaced that function with the designation of Sign In Sign out under the Help Menu (essentially Activate/Deactivate).

I get that same message that you described whenever I have Sign Out and later need to activate the program with Sign In to use it.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions. I am glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR