7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 3:57 PM by A.T. Romano

Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.

ericg5250576

After editing a project, I now burn to "folder" first. At times, I can then after that burn a DVD but most of the time I get a "media not present" message. I save my projects to external hard drives and that does not seem to be the problem because at times, all works fine.

• 1. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ericg

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system involved?

I have found that many overcome the Media not Present message doing

a. uninstall

b. free ccleaner run through

c. reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Have you been there and done that yet?

Please consider, but definitely supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
            ericg5250576 Level 1

Hi ATR:Thank you very much for your email.1. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. It did not seem to help.2. I have a Dell Concierge program that cleans my system regularly3. I'm not sure if I disabled the antivirus and firewall when re-installing. However, when I fist installed the program, it worked just fine without any problems. I cannot point to a specific time when the problems started. Even now, there are times when it works and the next time I get the "media not present" message.

I read in the forum that it might be best to save to "folder" before burning to DVD. I do that. There are times when it works but the next time it seems to make no difference.

I have a 4 year old Dell Studio XPS 8100. I am strictly an amateur and not very computer savy. I am struggling with this thing. Any help will be appreciated.Eric G.

• 3. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric G.

The Media Not Preset burn to disc problem for which there is no one answer.

The first line of troubleshooting....did you try more than one batch of DVD discs, more than one Brand/type of DVD disc?

The one troubleshooting approach with the highest success rate has been specifically as describe in sequence

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

Because of the intermittent nature of your issue, you may want to delete the content of the Encoded Files Folder (Windows default,

Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version number/ and in the version number Folder is the Encoded Files Folder which contains temporary files from the burn to process. Typically they are gone after each session. If you have any doubts about where Encoded Files Folder is, then please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and the category named Disc Encoding.

I still do not know what version of Premiere Element that you are using, and what computer operating system is involved. If 13/13.1 on Windows, please look for any possible involvement of the preference name Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher). See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

The workaround might be

a. what you are doing now with the burn to folder

or

b. determine if a borrowed or purchased USB external DVD burner would work

Please consider. We will think about this some more and move forward based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
                ericg5250576 Level 1

Hi ATR:

I do appreciate your suggestions and I will try to follow them. Like I told you, I am not very computer savvy. I struggle with what may seem simple to you.

I will uninstall and re-install with antivirus and firewall un-installed. See if that works.

The message "No media present" appears even before I insert the DVD blanks. So that does not seem to matter.

I am using Windows 7 and 13.1 Adobe.

Opening the file previously burned to "folder" does not get rid of the "No media present" message.

Since the "No media present" message shows up even when I go straight from editing to "Burn DVD", I doubt that an external DVD burner would make a difference.

In any event, I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me. I am under the impression that you are just part of the general Adobe Premiere community out there and that makes it even more special to have people like you. However, having bought a commercial product, it would be nice if Adobe would have a way, like many other services after you call them, to take over your computer and fix whatever problem there is.  I'm just venting to you, not complaining to you.

Maybe Adobe will get the message.

In the meantime, again, thank you very much for your assistance.Eric G.

• 5. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric G

Thanks for the reply. Never hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that is written that you do not understand. I will re-write to explain another way if we get into troubleshooting details for which we need an answer to determine what is happening.

1. You wrote

The message "No media present" appears even before I insert the DVD blanks. So that does not seem to matter.

I am using Windows 7 and 13.1 Adobe.

If you do not have a disc in the burner tray, you are always going to get "Media Not Present" notice in the burn dialog's Status field. That is normal. What is critical is if you get that message after you have inserted a disc into the burner tray, have content on the Timeline, are seeing Status = Media Not Preset, and have a grayed out Burn button. That is why it is important to check the discs that you are using. There could be a flaw in the brand/type disc you are using. So, this factor has to be ruled in or out.

2. You wrote

Opening the file previously burned to "folder" does not get rid of the "No media present" message.

When you do the burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB), you are taking the disc and the burner out of the problem equation. So media not present is not applicable. What should happen when you select Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB) is that the Status field should automatically go to "Ready". Is that happening? Or, are you selecting burn to Folder, and Status is stuck at Media not present? Important question and answer. A successful burn to folder does not erase the Media Not Preset message especially if you do not have a disc in the burner tray.

3. You wrote

Since the "No media present" message shows up even when I go straight from editing to "Burn DVD", I doubt that an external DVD burner would make a difference.

I do not follow your conclusion on this one. What is happening to you appears to involve the recognition of the disc-burner-Premiere Elements built in burn software. Whether or not another burner (external so that you do not have to open computer for internal kind) would respond the same is important information. But, right now we are trying to get that information by the burn to folder. If you succeed with the burn to folder, you have taken the disc and burner out of the problem equation. When you do the burn to folder, the saved folder contains 2 folders: OpenDVD Folder and VIDEO_TS Folder. If you are in a time crunch, I can tell you how to take the VIDEO_TS Folder from that burn to folder to a disc in the free 3rd party software name ImgBurn. More on that another time.

Please check out the above, and let me know if you are OK with the details and if we are in sync with the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Do not give up. The No Media Present is a difficult problem. I am hoping that the uninstall/free ccleaner/reinstall routine will resolve the matter.

Keeping a positive thought on that.

• 6. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
                    ericg5250576 Level 1

Hi ATR:

Being ignorant and having to admit it is not easy but that is the case here with me.

What you said in Item # 1 above was the key. I did not put a blank disc in the burner before asking the program to "burn disc". That's why it displayed the "No media present" message.

I took that message as meaning that there is no edited video footage present!

I can only excuse my ignorance by having learned from other programs that, in similar situations, they would prompt you to "insert blank DVD" or something like that.

Once I read  and re-read your reply to Item # 1, I knew that I should insert a blank DVD in the burner before clicking on "Burn to DVD". Obviously, I did not always do that in the past. 

Now that I did it properly, the program works just fine. My last DVD's burned successfully. 

I thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction and I will continue to use the Adobe program for years to come. Having said that, maybe the guy's at Adobe could just use a simple phrase like "No media present - insert blank DVD now", to let some of those who are not that savvy, have a little additional guidance.

Again, this was a great lesson for me and I truly appreciate your time, effort and expertise.Greetings,Eric Gemballa

• 7. Re: Why do I get "media not present" messages when trying to burn an edited project to DVD? I can burn to folder and computer without problems.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Eric Gemballa

You will never know how much your reply meant to me. Great job of sorting through the issues, seeking troubleshooting information, and recognizing what needed to be done. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. Just a user of the programs that started using them over 10 years ago, and started at ground zero. My first impression of the programs then was "What have you gotten yourself into?". I am not sorry for my decision to stay with the program and get it to work for me and others.

The good news about your issue is that it was something fixable. There are many who get that burn dialog's Status: Media Not Present and nothing can be done to solve it, sometimes not even going to a new burner or disc.

Best wishes for great opportunities for video taking and video presentations.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR