6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2006 2:37 AM by Newsgroup_User

Best Storefont Software

midnight2 Level 1
      I just bought Studio 8, and a friend wants me to develop an online store. I have a few questions: 1. what is the best storefront software to be used with Studio 8? When I say best I mean easiest to use... something that my inexperienced friend can add products to the website easily and update inventory, etc. Cost is secondary to ease of use.

I have purchased a machine and plan to run an ecommerce server.. What is the best server platform to host such a website? My guess is that some microsoft server is required.

The next question I have is what software is required to do credit card transactions and which is the best / easiest software to do this..?

Thanks in advance.
      Kyle
        • 1. Re: Best Storefont Software
          Level 7
          oh my gosh!
          my advice: Hire it out.
          • 2. Re: Best Storefont Software
            positivekristin
            You might look into the company KingCart. They can assist with all that you mentioned.

http://kingcart.com/
            • 3. Re: Best Storefont Software
              Level 7
              Look at share plan two here..... also to take credit cards you need a
              Merchant Account, this is different than having software, as is automatic
              credit card validation

http://www.hostasaurus.com/cart.php

"midnight2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:e41kna$16c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > I just bought Studio 8, and a friend wants me to develop an online store.
              I
              > have a few questions: 1. what is the best storefront software to be used
              with
              > Studio 8? When I say best I mean easiest to use... something that my
              > inexperienced friend can add products to the website easily and update
              > inventory, etc. Cost is secondary to ease of use.
              >
              > I have purchased a machine and plan to run an ecommerce server.. What is
              the
              > best server platform to host such a website? My guess is that some
              microsoft
              > server is required.
              >
              > The next question I have is what software is required to do credit card
              > transactions and which is the best / easiest software to do this..?
              >
              > Thanks in advance.
              > Kyle
              >

• 4. Re: Best Storefont Software
                jhutchdublin Level 1
                There are several things here you'll need to come to grips with. First off hosting. You can usually get cheap hosting for apache server, php scripting language and mysql database. This is what I would recommend for most small to medium sized companies. This what many hosting companies will provide to you at lower costs than Windows (ASP, ASPNET hosting) and ColdFusion.

You should be able to get hosting from anywhere about $5 a month. Make sure you get PHP and MySQL database included. Also, make sure what versions they're using. Quite a few hosts will not support MySQL 5 or PHP 5. You may need to get the 4 version of each of these products.

You can get the windows version of php at www.php.net and a copy of mysql for windows at www.mysql.com

The next thing you'll need is to get a shopping cart. There are several on the market and many are easy to use and get up and running.

You will need one that works with PHP and MYSQL -- many of them do. I've used Cartweaver with ColdFusion and have found the product is great for CF, at least. I know they have a PHP version and ASP version.

The good thing about Cartweaver is you get licensed as the developer, which means you can then use it to build other store fronts without having to buy the cart again to use on another site.

Take a look around, you have a lot to look over and work on. An on-line store can be quite bit of work

Good luck with it
                • 5. Re: Best Storefont Software
                  jhutchdublin Level 1
                  Forgot Cartweaver lets you easily hook up to various payment sytems includign PayPal quite easily.
                  • 6. Re: Best Storefont Software
                    Level 7
                    I have a couple of suggestions here -
                    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/ecommerce.htm

but in essence: Checkout www.paypal.com they have a shopping cart
                    available.(as you already mentioned)

Depending on the size of your site and inventory, look at:

www.vpasp.com
                    www.cartweaver.com

www.mals-e.com (great for a small start up shop - where the client takes
                    Credit card payments manually - upgrade if you want to process the CCs in
                    real time)

As for CC processing, you will need a gateway that is compatible with the
                    shopping cart you choose to use.

--
                    Nadia
                    Adobe� Community Expert : Dreamweaver
                    --------------------------------------------
                    http://www.csstemplates.com.au - CSS Templates | Free Templates
                    --------------------------------------------
                    http://www.DreamweaverResources.com - Dropdown Menu Templates|Tutorials
                    http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html - CSS Tutorials
                    ------------------------------------------------- "midnight2"
                    <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:e41kna$16c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I just bought Studio 8, and a friend wants me to develop an online store.
                    >I
                    > have a few questions: 1. what is the best storefront software to be used
                    > with
                    > Studio 8? When I say best I mean easiest to use... something that my
                    > inexperienced friend can add products to the website easily and update
                    > inventory, etc. Cost is secondary to ease of use.
                    >
                    > I have purchased a machine and plan to run an ecommerce server.. What is
                    > the
                    > best server platform to host such a website? My guess is that some
                    > microsoft
                    > server is required.
                    >
                    > The next question I have is what software is required to do credit card
                    > transactions and which is the best / easiest software to do this..?
                    >
                    > Thanks in advance.
                    > Kyle
                    >