6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 7:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Jerky Video

Editbill

I am running Adobe Premier Elements 12 on an HP Laptop

Spec: Windows 7 64 bit

Dual core 2.1 Gig processor

4 Gig RAM

I am having trouble with the video in my projects not playing smoothly. Even a dissolve between two stills judders.

The settings I use are PAL / AVCHD / 1080p50

Thanks in anticipation

Bill

• 1. Re: Jerky Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The number of cores and speed of a processor doesn't really mean much anymore. There are six core AMD processors that don't run as fast as some dual-cores. What model of processor are you using?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from?

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the program's Edit menu, on the General page? A mismatch between video specs and project settings can cause laggy behavior.

• 2. Re: Jerky Video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And a previous discussion on Jerky or slow playback http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1071217

• 3. Re: Jerky Video
              Editbill Level 1

Hi Steve

My processor is a Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU T4300 @ 2.1GHz

The camera is a Canon Legria HFR406 set to record AVCHD 50P

My project settigns are PAL, AVCHD, 1080P 50, 1920 x 1080

When I put the video on the time line there is no green or orange line above the tracks.

If I put a caption over the video then the orange line appears, if I then render it it is still jerky.

Cheers

• 4. Re: Jerky Video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Editbill

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not please do that.

For your immediate problem...from what I have read, I am not seeing any flaws in the setup of the project to match your source media properties.

To distinguish between a preview problem and an overall program problem, please consider the following....take your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and note the playback quality using you computer player. For that

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and then customize that to 1920 x 1080p50 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset. The suggested Advanced export settings are

For this troubleshooting, please do not use "Match Source" option in setting the Advanced export settings....put the values into each field yourself.

Jerkyp50.JPG

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Jerky Video
                  Editbill Level 1

Hi

Yes , I have upgraded to 12.1

The final project, when rendered to a DVD is fine, it is only a preview problem.

After a lot of frustration I uninstalled both Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

I then reinstalled both.

If I use Pal, HD 1080i, 25fps it is now OK.

Unless there is something I don't know about the problem is solved.

Thanks for your help

Bill

• 6. Re: Jerky Video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Editbill

Great news that the problem appears to be solved. Great job.

Your results could point to a previewing issue, perhaps related to the video card/graphics card (maybe driver version). If this is really the cause of the problem when viewing a rendered Timeline and an up to date driver or driver roll back has no impact on the problem, then BadDrivers.txt file deletion has the potential for resolving the previewing matter.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

If your source is 1080p50 and your project settings are for 1080i25, this factor could have needed looking into.

But, if your program uninstall reinstall brought about improved previewing/problem solved, do not change a thing.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR