9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 5:56 PM by Digital-Finger

Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy

rfkiii in USA Level 1

ACR conversions of 5DsR RAWs are noisy compared to Canon's DPP 4 on files at 100%. Beginning to see a definite trend among users on other forums. For example, blue skies have a lot of noise in them when converted by ACR. The same sky is clear blue converted in DPP.

• 1. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The raw data has the noise in it.

Canon algorithms in DPP have a particular noise-reduction algorithm.

Adobe has their own noise-reduction algorithms that you can adjust, yourself.

• 2. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
            rfkiii in USA Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

The raw data has the noise in it.

Canon algorithms in DPP have a particular noise-reduction algorithm.

Adobe has their own noise-reduction algorithms that you can adjust, yourself.

Agreed on all three statements. I could have won money predicting this response. I should have spent a little time and asked a better question.

It's been reported by other users that even with a fair amount adjustment, they were unable to match DPP's noise reduction.

If you have the 5DsR, do you have a default setting of your own for removing noise on optimally exposed images?

• 3. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

rfkiii in USA wrote:

If you have the 5DsR, do you have a default setting of your own for removing noise on optimally exposed images?

I've processed sample raw files from the 5DsR (from PhotographyBlog.com) and I see no terrible noise even from samples at ISO 3200. They are not as clean as my Nikon D810 at the higher ISO's but the Canon doesn't look too bad. So, I'm not sure why there are statements to the opposite. It would be useful to know where these statements are boing made.

• 4. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                rfkiii in USA Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

rfkiii in USA wrote:

I've processed sample raw files from the 5DsR (from PhotographyBlog.com) and I see no terrible noise even from samples at ISO 3200. They are not as clean as my Nikon D810 at the higher ISO's but the Canon doesn't look too bad. So, I'm not sure why there are statements to the opposite. It would be useful to know where these statements are boing made.

Jeff, thanks for your reply. I know who you are and I regularly use and refer others to your deconvolution sharpening routine as outlined in the online Peachpit article and in your book. So, I want to also thank you for improving the look of my images.

I do not own the 5DsR at this exact moment but I hope this changes soon. I am on an interminable backorder list. I am just prepping myself for when I do own it therefore I pay attention to posts that discuss the processing of this particular camera since it has taken some heat online as not having addressed Canon's so-called noise and DR issues. So, I have not developed a routine yet for this particular camera. I am just passing along comments from others. It may well be that DPP is easier to get results from for some folks because Canon has provided some baked-in routine on top of its other controls to reduce noise whereas an ACR user is given full control (and responsibility) for NR.

I have owned all of the other 5 series cameras including currently, the 5D3, the 6D, the Pentax 645z, the D800E and D3x. With an interest in landscape photography only, I have noticed a similar trend in unprocessed RAWs viewed at 100% where the three latter cameras produce really clean skies and the Canon's 22 MP models having noticeable noise in the skies. This doesn't even address shadows and DR. In the past, reducing image size has been my best NR routine but with the 5DsR, my new image sizes and cropping may greatly impact what I will need to do with regard to noise. Also, I never sharpen skies anyway.

So, sorry for the long-winded prelude, here is the link to the discussion on DPR. The post also includes another link to another post where a 2nd person provided side by side conversions from DPP and ACR.

DPP seems to be doing a better job on noise.: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I hope this link works as I have copied it here. I have used Alt-Z twice (with disastrous results by the way) to delete the line and try to paste the actual address but...

• 5. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

rfkiii in USA wrote:

So, sorry for the long-winded prelude, here is the link to the discussion on DPR. The post also includes another link to another post where a 2nd person provided side by side conversions from DPP and ACR.

Well, that explains a lot...DPR is not a font of technical knowledge and understanding...

• 6. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                    rfkiii in USA Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

rfkiii in USA wrote:

Well, that explains a lot...DPR is not a font of technical knowledge and understanding...

Be this as it may, folks there want to learn. They want their investment to bear fruit. They/me are just trying to suss out how to make 5DsR files as clean as D810 files or Pentax 645z files. Even Fred Miranda, who apparently is using Sony equipment now, recently said that "being able to recover shadows [without the noise] is nice and there's no going back [to Canon]" or something to this effect. I can't believe that gallery-grade images can't start from a Canon product.

Getting back to ACR, is it fair to say that ACR can do anything DPP can do, perhaps even better [if the learning curve is mastered]?

• 7. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

rfkiii in USA wrote:

Getting back to ACR, is it fair to say that ACR can do anything DPP can do, perhaps even better [if the learning curve is mastered]?

That is my understanding...maybe not a "default" but is you know how to make the adjustments and are willing to do so, yes...

• 8. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                        rfkiii in USA Level 1

This topic seems related to the issue discussed here:

Re: 5DS(r) tone curve in LR and ACR : crushed shadows with all profiles

although I may have posed my question improperly and inadvertently steered the discussion off course from the get go. The intention was not to create a DPP vs. ACR thread. The intent was to discuss the results of ACR conversions of the 5DsR and DPP was only a mechanism for contrasting those results with similar tools.

• 9. Re: Canon 5DsR ACR conversions are noisy
                          Digital-Finger Level 1

I realise this post is old now but having just got the 5DS R I am also interested in any further info
                          on how to get the very best from ACR/LR for these files.
                          So anyone that has a bit more experience than me willing to share what they have found  will be most appreciated
                          (other than installing the Medium contrast thingy - done that - and NOT complaining -  just curious :) )