12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 12:41 AM by leena85849812

What format for importing title template

leena85849812

The beginning of this video has an animated title. I'd like my editor to create a template I can use on other projects in Premier Elements.

What format should I ask him for so that I can change the name of each project?

Thanks for your ideas !

Sharon Mann | Cartoon ~ Jamie's Got Tentacles - YouTube

• 1. Re: What format for importing title template
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How you do this depends on which version of the program you're using and on what operating system.

Newer versions of the program do not include a feature for exporting and importing titles -- but there may be a way to trick the program into using it.

BTW, are you creating your title in Premiere Elements or in a third-party titling program? If the latter, what are your output options for your animated titles? Are these titles with a solid background or a transparent background?

• 2. Re: What format for importing title template
            leena85849812 Level 1

I'm in Windows 7 on Premier Elements 13.
            I'll be having my editor create the template -- he's probably working in Pro Tools and sends his files as mov. (is there a way to get transform a mov or avi file in .prtl format?) I want to insert this template at the top of different videos changing the name of the project each time.

Take a look at the video link (first 10 seconds)  for the solid or transparent background. It looks transparent to me.

Thanks for your questions, Steve. Hope this gives you enough info.

Sharon

• 3. Re: What format for importing title template
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Sharon

Is there any reason why your editor is sending these files as .mov or avi? Are your title templates supposed to have motion components when used in your program? If no motion components in what you are calling title templates, then please read on.

If you want the template (mov or avi sending)  be a prtl file, please see if this works for you...

Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows 7 64 bit

Expert workspace Text Menu/New Text/Default text to open the Titler, and remove the default Add Text.

Then Text Menu/Image/Add Image....navigate to save location of .mov or .avi, select it.

You should now have your title template as .prtl on Timeline. You close out of the Tilter.

Then go to its thumbnail in Project Assets and select/highlight it. This step makes the Title choice active in the File Menu/Export/Title.

Then File Menu/Export/Title and export the title to a .prtl file saved to the computer hard drive for use in other projects.

When your editor person creates one of these .mov or .avi files, do the files arrive in your Premiere Elements Editor Timeline with areas of transparency...remember Premiere Elements uses black to represent transparent and then there is the color black. To determine what you have, please

put the .mov or .avi on Video Track 2 and a background picture on Video Track 1. Can you see the background picture showing through? If not, I can suggests ways to deal with that situation.

Please review and consider and then let me know if any of the above applies to you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: What format for importing title template
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

ATR is taking a different approach than I'd recommend.

So rather than cross-talk with her, I'll let you decide if you want to go ATR's direction or if you want my advice for creating titles for Premiere Elements in Pro Tools.

• 5. Re: What format for importing title template
                  leena85849812 Level 1

There are motion components in the title. Take a look at the link I've provided.

I assume this method will not work on a motion title.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: What format for importing title template
                    leena85849812 Level 1

Steve - were you able to take a look at the first 10 seconds of the link and see the sliding title I want to import?

Do you consider this transparent?

Thanks -

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: What format for importing title template
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

leena

I entered your thread initially because the following was posted which is not true for Premiere Elements.

Newer versions of the program do not include a feature for exporting and importing titles

I posted post 3 to give you information on your subject without having to point to that specific sentence.

Further I wrote

Is there any reason why your editor is sending these files as .mov or avi? Are your title templates supposed to have motion components when used in your program? If no motion components in what you are calling title templates, then please read on.

Also, if you are getting sent animated title templates as .mov and .avi, there should be way in which your editor person can export them and maintain transparency. That is something even Premiere Elements can do to give you, that is, .mov and .avi export with transparency maintained.

In those .mov and .avi that you have received where the transparency was lost, I can tell you how to convert the color black to transparency using ChromaKey.

That is the extent of the direction I had in mind and should not prohibit other suggestions being posted by anyone else.

What works for you is the direction.

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: What format for importing title template
                        leena85849812 Level 1

Hello ATR and Steve,

As you can see from the video there is movement in the title. I haven't begun working on the project yet so I don't have any transparency issues (thus far).

I would like to tell my editor what format to provide me with so I can create a template in PE 13 on a PC for a title with movement just like in the video.

What format or formats can be imported (by natural means or trickery ) for this purpose?

Many thanks!

• 9. Re: What format for importing title template
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

leena

Thanks for the follow up.

The deal maker or breaker appears to be ending up with editable text in an animated title template.

I am going to work on this more later today and will report back with my failure or success and or compromises.

This should not prohibit other ideas from being presented. I typically work trying to get the most from Premiere Elements before calling in 3rd party software.

I have some ideas which may turn out to work or be major duds.

Thanks for your consideration.

ATR

• 10. Re: What format for importing title template
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

leena

In what you want, you need editable text in the title template file that has motion. But, Premiere Elements Titler uses prtl files, and I have not found it possible to to produce a prtl file that supports motion in its playback. Even if you go back to Premiere Elements 4 which did allow the user to use Title Menu/Image/Add Image and a .mov file, that .mov file appeared in the Titler as a still image representing the first frame of the video.

If you tell your editor to use .mov or .avi for your file that is represented in your posted video, you are not going to be able to open it in the Titler to edit the text.

If the editor sends it as a prtl file, I have doubts that a prtl file can be produced with motion and that can be edited in the Premiere Elements Titler. The following is what you might want to explore to create your own prtl file in the Premiere Elements Titler...compromise version...

1. Open the Titler, get rid of the default Add Media

2. Text Menu/Image/Add Image and bring in just your face image.

3. Position your face image at the bottom left of the Titler Screen. Under it type in two separate lines of text

Sharon Mann

Voice Overs

To each of these lines use Titler/Animation/Fades and apply Fade Out By Line.

4. To the right of the face image, type two separate lines of text

Jamie's Got Tentacles

Samka Productions

To each of these lines use Titler/Animation/Move In and Out/Drop In By Character

5. Underneath Jamie's Got Tentacles and Samka Productions, type a single line of text

Role: Edwin Walsh

To this line of text, use Titler/Animation/Twist and Turn/Spin In By Line.

Animation decisions in the Titler can be varied.

Close the Titler and save the title template as .prtl using the instructions given before for File Menu/Export/Title.

The saved title template opened in Premiere Elements and its Titler should have all the motion that your created using Premiere Elements Titler animation.

Under the stipulations that you give

I would like to tell my editor what format to provide me with so I can create a template in PE 13 on a PC for a title with movement just like in the video.

What format or formats can be imported

I think it easy enough to create such an image, but I am not seeing a possibility for editing the text in that one title template file.

ATR

• 11. Re: What format for importing title template
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

leena

Add On to post 10...

You might want to discuss with your editor person, if he/she can create a customized animation for the Animation section of the Premiere Elements Titler. I have not done this.

See the Adobe files..

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe Premiere Elements 13.0

Presets

Text Animation

Common

The animation files appear to have a .prta file extension.

ATR

• 12. Re: What format for importing title template
                                leena85849812 Level 1

Thanks ATR for all this information. A lot of these moves are over my head. But I will try the compromise version you've provided when my editor gets back from vacation.