15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 7:42 AM by Peter Spier

type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

eap_designs Level 1

Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know that either there is a bug, or I'm missing something, but I turned text into paths in an ad, it was stroked and filled, (but no gradient or effects)  It didn't print correctly when we went to PDF or to press. It simply looked like a shadow over the dark woodgrain that it was over.

Is this a known problem?  Has anyone else had the problem?  I don't need to use it much with this publication, but I work on another that has 2 designers and it would come in handy since we don't always have the same fonts.  But I don't want to use a feature that isn't reliable.

Elaine

• 1. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Converting type to outlines for anything other than artistic reasons is a horrible workflow. Everyone should have the same fonts.

That said, if there is a bug it should be easily reproducible on multiple files.

• 2. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some sign makers still require outlined text as they have no need to upgrade their workflow for 99% of their work.

However, I agree with Bob, simply no need to outline your fonts, your fonts should be embedded in the PDF for output, automatically.

• 3. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

Those same sign makers typically want CorelDRAW files, too.

Note: before anyone starts bashing it, I’m still a fan of CorelDRAW and still fire it up for certain tasks.

• 4. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                eap_designs Level 1

The weird thing is, I don't usually do it, and there was no reason in this instance. I do all of the design and output on this magazine, output to PDF to the printer, so it isn't like I'm sending the ads to someone else how might not have the font.. Years ago, I had trouble with gradient text and Adobe said to make it into paths so the only thing I can see is that at some point I had that line of text in a gradient, and then decided, no it would look better in a solid color.

I always try to post problems here, because I've been told that the Adobe team is watching the forums for problems.

I do work for another publication, where there are 2 freelancers working on the same project. Occasionally we need to change text to fonts, because we don't always have the same fonts. I suppose I should alert them....

• 5. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Current versions of InDesign allow users package files and include fonts that can then be used by others for editing only that file without installing them, so there's not much reason for outlining there, either...

What color was this outlined type? Did it have a blending mode assigned? Was it set to overprint?

• 6. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                    eap_designs Level 1

I've always been curious why sign makers prefer CorelDRAW and PC rather than MAC?  Do you know why?  

I've always worked for newspapers and magazines which were more MAC/Adobe oriented.

• 7. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

Because it’s far superior to just about anything else out there. There’s virtually no limit to the size of the canvas.

And FWIW, while I own a Mac, I do 99% of my work on a Windows desktop.

• 8. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                        Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Plus it's down to their output tools too, their software works with their output tools so they use it and no reason to change.

Plus I do my work on PC and Mac - it's the same software, and in the last decade PCs have progressed past the typical office computer and are widely used for gaming/digital/animation/3D etc.

In fact, I'm a fan of PCs simply because you can custom build a PC for much less than  MAc with much more fire power in the PC than you can get with a PC.

• 9. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                          eap_designs Level 1

The text was outlined in black and the fill was C0 M28 Y100 K0.  I just checked overprint preview, and it looks wrong there. So I suppose I need to check every add in overprint. I think I used to just leave Indesign in overprint, but everytime I update, it puts me back to the default settings.

I did some investigating- It PDFs fine when I use High Quality Print PDF setting, which is what I use for proofing. when I place the indesign doc, onto the page (it's a 16 page doc) I then output to special PDF settings that are supplied by the printer. I tried a couple of things, and the only thing that is different, is that the printers setting's convert the color to destination CMYK. Which I use, because sometimes I get files from customers and there are spot colors or RGB colors in there somewhere. Sometimes, I can get them out without rasterizing, and sometimes I can't. I use convert to destination, because these docs can have hundreds of logos and photos, and even though I open everyone in photoshop, sometimes I forget to change to CMYK.  That seems to be the difference. When I sent it with convert to destination CMYK checked, the fill color  looks like this.

I will keep my overprint preview on and try to avoid converting text to paths.

Peter, I didn't realize that when I package and include the font, it doesn't have to be loaded. Does it find the font automatically, just because it's in the same folder? That might come in handy with that other job I work on.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 6.47.48 AM.png

• 10. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

That sure looks like its set to overprint. Check the Attributes panel.

Document Installed Fonts has been a feature since, I believe, CS5. There are some caveats, like it won't work with T1 fonts and no matter what you do you cannot use Mac TT or .dfont on PC, but if tyou stick to OpenType or Windows TT fonts it's completely automatic (to the point that the file will use the fonts in the folder even if there is another copy installed on the system) and works cross-platform.

• 11. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                              eap_designs Level 1

As far as the attributes panel, I've never gone in there before. Here's a screen shot, I assume this is the default?  Would you suggest I set it differently?

As for the fonts, I was aware of the cross platform problem, but with the other job I'm talking about, we are both on MAC, so it shouldn't be a problem to simply decide on a group of fonts and both use them, but the other designer doesn't think it is necessary. I would rather do it to avoid problems like this.

Thanks for your help. I just love having this forum, since I work alone.

Elaine

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 7.07.26 AM.png

• 12. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

That would only be the default if the fill is 100% K, and for anything else you wind up with what you are seeing, so it would need to be used as a special effect or turned off.

• 13. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

Are you seeing that with nothing selected? It could have been set accidentally as the default by turning it on with nothing selected, and that would be a train wreck.

• 14. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015
                                    eap_designs Level 1

When I open the file and nothing is selected, nothing is checked. When I click on the text that is paths, the screen shot is what I get. I tried different items on the page, regular text, various .psd files of logos and photos and nothing is checked.

So I'm assuming that it okay, or at least not a train wreck waiting to happen?

• 15. Re: type converted to print didn't print right Indesign 2015

Yup, that's how it's supposed to be. So unless you intend for that yellow fill to overprint like that you should uncheck the box. This has nothing at all to do with converting to outlines, or the export settings.