4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 10:32 AM by Adobetopfan

Why won't my ACR automatically update?

Adobetopfan

I'm a Photoshop/Lightroom CC subscriber, but ever since my subscription earlier this year, Creative Cloud never updated ACR automatically to the latest version each time a new version was released. I had to use the manual install method each time by downloading the installer

With another update to 9.1.1 yesterday, this has now gotten to the point of extreme annoyance so I thought I'd see if I can get help? I'm on LR CC and PS CC 2015 right now.

I've tried removing all apps using Creative Cloud App by following instructions in this post Automatic updates wont update to Camera Raw 8.5 but the result is the same. I do not see the whatever "update mechanism" that is mentioned in this post.

What else can I do? I really don't want to have to manually update ACR for the rest of my life every time a new version is released!

• 1. Re: Why won't my ACR automatically update?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be signing out and signing back in the CC app to trigger a check for updates, not quitting and restarting:  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sign-in-out-activate-apps.html#topic-4

Are you on a Windows computer or a Mac computer?

It sounds like something is messed up with licensing on your computer and that’s not an easy thing to fix.

Does everything update except ACR? In other words are you already using PS CC 2015.0.0 and LR 2015.1.1 from automatic updates and only ACR 9.1.1 isn’t updating, or are you still on PS CC 2014 and LR 2015.0

Do Help / Updates and check your AAM preferences to make sure ACR is supposed to be updated automatically.  In Preferences there are checkmarks for the various Adobe programs to allow or disallow automatically updates.  Normally all checkboxes should be on but maybe some aren’t for you. 

You could try removing all Adobe apps, using the CC Cleaner (Adobe’s not the shareware one) and then reinstalling all the Adobe apps.

The CC Cleaner is here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

After you’ve gotten rid of everything, you can reinstall the CC app from here and use it to reinstall your licensed CC apps:  https://creative.adobe.com/products/creative-cloud

• 2. Re: Why won't my ACR automatically update?
            Adobetopfan Level 1

Hi ssprengel, thanks for the helpful feedback.

To answer your questions. I am on Mac and yes, everything updated properly (PS CC 2015 and LR 2015.1.1) except ACR 9.1.1 that is NOT updating.

I have invoked Help > Updates in PS CC 2015 but it just takes me to the Creative Cloud app to show me a list of additional Adobe apps to install, but ACR doesn't show up there. Is there another way to get to the "AAM preferences" that you mentioned?

The final resort of using CC Cleaner is probably the final solution but it sounds pretty invasive, potentially deleting my dozens of profiles, custom brushes, plugins, LR templates etc so I am scared to perform this until I make sure everything is backed up first. So in the meantime if there are other ways to troubleshoot and pinpoint this problem, that would be fantastic.

• 3. Re: Why won't my ACR automatically update?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you were on Windows you could get the older AAM with the preferences checkboxes to open by running the PDApp.exe program with the following parameters:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\PDApp.exe

I assume there is an equivalent program on the Mac, perhaps with a similar name.

In that program the update preferences include all current software so I think it's all part of the same licensing and updating mechanism even if the CC app is now the new UI for it:

• 4. Re: Why won't my ACR automatically update?
                Adobetopfan Level 1

I couldn't find the AAM UI for Mac (I think Creative Cloud might be the only UI on Mac?).

I resolved the issue, for now, by uninstalling Photoshop CC 2015 and reinstalling it. Now ACR is on latest 9.1.1 version.

I will monitor the next release of ACR and report back here whether it is updated automatically by Creative Cloud app from now on.