7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 4:50 PM by johnniecanoe

Lost laptop and LR.

johnniecanoe

Hi. Lost my laptop and all programs that were in it including LR 5.7. I bought a new laptop and have LR serial #. How do I go about installing it on new laptop.

• 1. Re: Lost laptop and LR.
          dj_paige Level 9

Download LR from Product updates, apply your serial number, and that's it.

• 2. Re: Lost laptop and LR.
            johnniecanoe Level 1

I went into my Adobe account / my products, and the serial # is not valid, it's a upgrade serial # from to 5.7. They want my previous version # which does not show in my account.

• 3. Re: Lost laptop and LR.
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of LR are you trying to install and what version of LR did you have previously?  You only mention LR 5 and use both “from” and “to” in relation to it so it’s unclear if that’s the current version or the old version.

• 4. Re: Lost laptop and LR.

Another question would be where and what format did you buy the previous two versions of LR:  Disc or download and was it from a physical store, a third-party internet store, like Amazon, or from Adobe themselves?

• 5. Re: Lost laptop and LR.
                  johnniecanoe Level 1

I'm trying to install what I had before I lost my laptop which would be LR 5.7. This was an upgrade. Unfortunately I can't remember where I purchased the original. I know that it was 3.3 version, then I upgraded to 5.7.

• 6. Re: Lost laptop and LR.

If you purchased LR 3.x from Adobe then there would be purchase records online that might also contain a serial number or at least could be looked up by Adobe to see you’d owned it.  If you purchased it from a store there would be packing that could have the serial number.  If you purchased as a download then there could be an e-mail with the serial number.  If you purchased from Adobe using a different AdobeID then there could be a LR registration under that other ID.  It doesn’t matter if the e-mail address used for the other ID exists as long as you still know the password.

If you don’t have any documentation to demonstrate you’ve ever purchased a previous version of LR, then your situation is indistinguishable from someone who’s just being cheap and wants to pay $80 for LR instead of $150.  I’m not saying you’re doing this, but I don’t know that Adobe is in the business of giving out serial numbers to people that say they lost their previous one, especially when it is a couple versions behind, but you could try Adobe Chat which is available a few clicks and selections from the Menu / Help on Adobe.com, as they may have some sort of usage records for LR 3 from before you got LR 5.  I don’t know.

Do you know your LR 5 serial number?  You could use it as the upgrade serial number for purchasing LR 6 which is the current version as long as you have a 64-bit OS installed. 

There’s also the CC Photography Plan option, again as long as you have a 64-bit OS.

• 7. Re: Lost laptop and LR.
                      johnniecanoe Level 1

Thanks ssprengel, I can't come up with any proof that I previously owned a previous version of LR, but I do have my LR 5.7 upgrade serial #. Looks like my best bet would be to upgrade to LR 6. I'll contact LR Chat and see if they can help me with the upgrade.