4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2006 11:12 AM by Newsgroup_User

Serious problem with audio in CDROM

Level 7
      Hello:
      I'm develop an application that use audio mp3 file in a CDROM the problem is
      that when I call to my movie the audio load stop the movie until the audio
      is loaded. I' using Xtras mediaplayer to control cuepoints, also when I move
      to a cuepoint a delay happen.

Do you know how to fix the code to load better?

many thanks

• 1. Re: Serious problem with audio in CDROM
          Level 7
          Could it be that your CD drive has spun down? None of my CD-based
          programs run well on my laptop because the drive spins down so quickly
          to conserve battery power (even when it's plugged in).

Try seeing if you get the same problem if the audio files are located on
          your hard drive.
          • 2. Re: Serious problem with audio in CDROM
            Level 7
            On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:17:29 GMT, Anne posted in
            macromedia.director.lingo:

> Hello:
            > I'm develop an application that use audio mp3 file in a CDROM the
            > problem is that when I call to my movie the audio load stop the movie
            > until the audio is loaded. I' using Xtras mediaplayer to control
            > cuepoints, also when I move to a cuepoint a delay happen.

Are you talking about StarSoft's MediaPlayer Xtra?

> Do you know how to fix the code to load better?

If the mp3 is an internal cast member, then Director decompresses the entire
            audio into RAM (much larger than the filesize of the MP3). You might be able
            to look into preloading the member before it's needed (see preload,
            idleLoadMode, etc...)

It's possible that MediaPlayer Xtra needs time for this as well (I've never
            used it), even if it's an external file. You might want to ask on their forum
            if that's the Xtra you're using:
            http://www.starsoftmultimedia.com/forum/index.php?category=forum

Earlier you were looking into using audio-only QT or AVI files. I've done
            this many times with great success. Even when compressed, they stream from
            the CD quite well. Of course, one does have to be wary of trying to load
            other assets from different parts of the CD (even if only from internal cast
            members) while the QT is playing. The CD read head can only be in one place
            at a time.

And as somebody hinted at in one of your other threads, I don't actually use
            queuePoints with QT files - just a list of movieTimes.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)
            • 3. Re: Serious problem with audio in CDROM
              Level 7
              Thank you very much for your help.
              Yes, I would asking about AVI or MOV file. But the problem is that my
              customer does not want to install anything in the computer, just run from
              CD.
              Is possible to run from CD quicktime movies and/or audio without installing
              anything at all in the PC?

best regards

"Mark A. Boyd" <mblist@sanDotrr.com.invalid> escribió en el mensaje
              news:Xns989A8B31A164EmblistssanDotrrcom@216.104.212.96...
              > On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:17:29 GMT, Anne posted in
              > macromedia.director.lingo:
              >
              >> Hello:
              >> I'm develop an application thour helpat use audio mp3 file in a CDROM the
              >> problem is that when I call to my movie the audio load stop the movie
              >> until the audio is loaded. I' using Xtras mediaplayer to control
              >> cuepoints, also when I move to a cuepoint a delay happen.
              >
              > Are you talking about StarSoft's MediaPlayer Xtra?
              >
              >> Do you know how to fix the code to load better?
              >
              > If the mp3 is an internal cast member, then Director decompresses the
              > entire
              > audio into RAM (much larger than the filesize of the MP3). You might be
              > able
              > to look into preloading the member before it's needed (see preload,
              > idleLoadMode, etc...)
              >
              > It's possible that MediaPlayer Xtra needs time for this as well (I've
              > never
              > used it), even if it's an external file. You might want to ask on their
              > forum
              > if that's the Xtra you're using:
              > http://www.starsoftmultimedia.com/forum/index.php?category=forum
              >
              > Earlier you were looking into using audio-only QT or AVI files. I've done
              > this many times with great success. Even when compressed, they stream from
              > the CD quite well. Of course, one does have to be wary of trying to load
              > other assets from different parts of the CD (even if only from internal
              > cast
              > members) while the QT is playing. The CD read head can only be in one
              > place
              > at a time.
              >
              > And as somebody hinted at in one of your other threads, I don't actually
              > use
              > queuePoints with QT files - just a list of movieTimes.
              >
              >
              > --
              > Mark A. Boyd
              > Keep-On-Learnin' :)

• 4. Re: Serious problem with audio in CDROM
                Level 7
                Any Quicktime files you want to play will only work if you have
                Quicktime installed. There is no way I know of to make a Quicktime
                movie (audio, video, or both) play without installing something
                (typically the Quicktime program itself).

If part of the specification for the project is that you can not install
                any software, then Quicktime is a very bad choice. If you are doing
                audio, then .mp3 would be the most appropriate. .wav would be good to0.