6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 6:19 PM by Bazsl

Where are the images that have already been imported?

Bazsl Level 1

Using LR CC, assume that I import the images in a folder using Copy and that I rename the files as part of the import process. Later I try to import the images from the same folder again but all of the images are greyed out in the import dialog indicating that they have already been imported into LR.

1) How can I find the images in LR? I cannot filter on file name since the files were renamed on import. There must be a way since LR knows that the files have already been imported even though they were renamed so how do I find them in LR?

2) How does LR know that the files have already been imported when I try to import the second time? It cannot be using the filename to compare the images that are in the catalog with the images I am trying to import since the files were renamed when originally imported.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Where are the images that have already been imported?

A. Exactly where you told LR to make the copies  (the  folder in the "Destination" panel of the import dialog.)

How can I find the images in LR?

A. How did you tell LR to rename your images? Did you use a preset or a sequence? If you remember the method you should be able to construct at least part of a file-name to search. Or view "All Photographs" in the library grid view and look visually. (Be sure Filters are not active, and not viewing a Collection.)

How does LR know that the files have already been imported.....It cannot be using the filename...

A. Well yes it can, LR saved the 'Copies' with the new file-names you told it to give to the files as they were saved in the new destination, but it also LR looks at other parts of a file to determine if they are 'duplicates'. (metadata, file-size, etc)

Note- If you imported existing images in your computer (not a camera card) using the 'Copy' method, you now have TWO versions of each image in your computer! Original name + New name. LR only knows about the 'New name' files that you imported..

• 2. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?
            Bazsl Level 1

The whole point of the question is that we do not know 1) the name of the folder into which the files were copied or 2) what the new filename is. If we knew either the destination folder name or the new file name we could find the photos in LR easily. I thought I made that clear in my original post. Sorry if I did not.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected would be the case. The exact method that LR uses to determine if a file has already been imported is not publicly documented and it almost certainly uses metadata fields that cannot be queried in LR using a filter. It would be nice if LR provided a way to display the name and path to the duplicate for the images that are greyed out in the Import dialog.

It looks like the best we can do is re-import the photos into the correct folder and leave the existing duplicates in place. If the lost photos are ever found they can be deleted.

• 3. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?

Yeah- sorry! I should have been more help-

If you have not done any further imports since the 'lost' import, you could click on "Previous Import" in the Library Catalog Panel. When the images show in the library grid, a Right-click on one image will allow you to "Show in Explorer" or "Go to Folder in Library"

In the Import dialog your previously used settings remain (sticky) until changed, is it possible you could attempt another import and take note of the settings you used in the "Destination" panel as a CLUE to where you copied the 'lost' images?

Can you select "All Photographs" in the Catalog Panel (Under Navigator) and scroll through the library looking for the images?- IF you know what the subject matter is in the images!

Did you (by any chance) keyword the 'lost' images when they were imported?  IF so a filter for the Keyword/s would find them in "All Photographs" view. (Click the white arrow that appears when you hover the mouse cursor on the Keyword in the Keyword List)

And How did you rename the images? Have you forgotten? Did you use a Rename 'Preset'? what was that preset? Did it include the 'Date' of the original images in the new file-names of the 'lost' copied images.

Can you check the 'Date' of the Originals in Explorer/Finder,  and then look for the 'Lost' images in the LR library with the same 'Date' ? (Click 'Metadata" and change a column heading to "Date" (Again- in the "All Photographs" library view!)

• 4. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?
                Bazsl Level 1

Good suggestions all. Unfortunately I did not make this mess. I was asked by a friend to fix it long after the original import was done. The only thing that might work at this late date is scrolling through the library but there are 5,000 photos. Thanks again for your help.

• 5. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?

My last suggestion re 'Date' must work if you have the original image files in the computer.

I am referring to the "Capture Date" of the images in the metadata, this would remain the same even if re-named and copied.

or Good Luck searching (5000 is not a lot!!  )

• 6. Re: Where are the images that have already been imported?
                    Bazsl Level 1

I'll try that but since I can only narrow the date to one year I don't know how many photos the filter will return. IT is definitely worth a try.