4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2015 9:40 AM by johnt3662

How to create new catalog with only 2015 images?

johnt3662

I have all my images—over 4000 of them—in one LR5 catalog. I want to create a new catalog with just my 2015 images. I've tried a couple of different ways, but can't seem to get the hang of it. What is the process?

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: How to create new catalog with only 2015 images?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If you have your images stored on disk in a directory tree resembling dates, using the Folders panel, you can select all the photos in the 2015 subtree then "export as catalog". There should be no need to "include the negative files".

If the resulting catalog cannot be directly opened -- I have never tried that -- then you can create a new empty catalog and "import from catalog".

All that said, what prompts your desire for a second catalog?

• 2. Re: How to create new catalog with only 2015 images?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In the Library module use the Filter system to filter in all images captured in 2015.

Filter bar Date.PNG

Once all images from 2015 are shown in the Grid view select them all and then select "File > Export as Catalog".

But I suggest you do NOT do this. Instead create a Collection of just those 2015 images. LR is used best when all images are in the same catalog. You can use the Filter system or Collections along with Keywords to separate images into specific categories, projects, years or events.

Personally I store all my images by the dates they were/are taken in separate sub-folders with a main folder by Year. So if I need to see just images from just 2015 I can select that top level folder in the Folder area. If I need images from 2009 or 2006 I again select just that top Year folder.

• 3. Re: How to create new catalog with only 2015 images?
              dj_paige Level 9

But I suggest you do NOT do this. Instead create a Collection of just those 2015 images. LR is used best when all images are in the same catalog. You can use the Filter system or Collections along with Keywords to separate images into specific categories, projects, years or events.

johnt3662 ... shootisbond007 has given you Excellent advice! Don't create a catalog, create a collection. Or even better yet, a smart collection, or saved filter, so new 2015 photos are automatically available in this new smart collection, or via this saved collection. You will not regret doing it this way.

There are many many disadvantages to catalogs by year, including the fact that you will need to switch back and forth between catalogs to find your photos, and you can possibly import the photos into the wrong catalog, and you cannot search across catalogs, and on and on and on.

• 4. Re: How to create new catalog with only 2015 images?
                johnt3662 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. Makes more sense actually than creating another catalog. Thank you very much!