5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 7:49 AM by gkaiseril

Insert signatre via javascript and close document...

JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hello,

I have designed a medical form template... %95 of it is being filled by patients "Health Related" and only less than %5 is being filled by doctor... A SaveIt button turns all the fields into read only hide the button and save the filled document into a new folder.  Doctor is asking me after hiding all the buttons and turning all the fields into read only not modifiable, unhide or make a button visible so by pushing that button Doctor's signature will be inserted into a predefined signature field and save and close the document after making the SignIt button also invisible, without any prompt.  That means document turn into a readonly signed unmodifiable but automatically closed without any prompt.

The saved and signed document will be attached to patient chart that is almost impossible to be modified... so doctors are not worried about security and their signature forgery etc...

Possible?  any idea, sample code?

Jeff Paarsa

• 1. Re: Insert signatre via javascript and close document...
          gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Make sure a PDF can be attached to the patient chart.

What device will be used to fill-in the PDF.

Mobile devices have very little JavaScript support.

Digital Signature certificates cannot be applied using JavaScript.

You could use a facsimile signature stamp.

Are you sure the doctor's signature does not require security. My brother who is a doctor has to apply a secure signature to every patient test and diagnosis done that he reviewed since they became part of the patient record and all parts of that record were subject to professional review by the state boards and subject to subpoena by legal actions.

• 2. Re: Insert signatre via javascript and close document...
            JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi,

1. Yes we are attaching ton's of PDF everyday to Pt. chart.

2. Desktop/ Laptop PC.

3. No mobile device like smart phones etc.

4. Bad news I wish it could have been.

5. What is facsimile signature stamp?  You mean have Dr. sign the form then put the pdf fields on it and rebuild the form?

I am not sure what field your brother is practicing... my doctor field is PCP and so far digital secure signature has not been required and his/her copy of chart is acceptable by court.  No problem so far.

Regards,

Jeff P.

• 3. Re: Insert signatre via javascript and close document...
              gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The restriction on being able to apply digital certificates by JavaScript is more of a legal restriction than a technology limitation. Digital certificates are use internationally for completing legal transactions and need to provide confidence that the individual applying the certificate is the actual person and not a robot or automaton. This is  the equivalent of having a person take pen and ink to the document.

Acrobat comes with a number of stamps and it is possible for a user to create custom stamp unique to their system. These stamps are very similar to rubber stamps one can purchase at an office supply store, Some office supply stores can take an individual's signature on a piece of paper and create a custom rubber stamp with the image of the written signature. This can even done with Acrobat and the stamp can be added to any copy of Acrobat or Reader. One maybe be able to use mobile devices to get the written signature image or a scanner and then it is matter of processing the image to capture the signature and not the background as a PDF and then process the PDF just like any stamp.

My brother is a doctor's doctor, pathologist, and can issue over 90 surgical lab reports a day and his group provides services to more than 15 hospitals.

• 4. Re: Insert signatre via javascript and close document...
                JeffBPaarsa Level 1

Hi

and I assume that rubber stamp can be inserted via javascript?  Now I should be looking how it can be done?