• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add a radio button just for navigation?

Participant ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add a number of radio buttons to a slide, to be used for navigation. I don't need a widget - in fact, it could even just be an image of a radio button. I can't find that in Captivate 7. Is there a simple radio button?

-Stuart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can reduce the radiobutton interaction to one button, and you'll have:

• functionality of a radio button
  • an associated variable that can be used in actions
  • for the latest version: the possibility to reset the radio button to 'empty'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I've got another Advance Actions dilemma now. I'm creating one in CP7 very similar to the one you helped me with in 8. (That was a prototype. The client wants the project created in 7.) The only difference is that when the question is answered correctly and the Answer slide displays, the actions now include showing a caption that was initially not visible, like the incorrect messages were in my CP8 version. No matter what I enter, none of the messages display, and the thing always ends up on the Answer page, even if I submit the wrong answer.

CP7 doesn't have that Preview feature that displays the code, so I can't include that here. Does CP7 handle anything differently in Advanced Actions or invisible captions?

I'm going to call it a night soon, and get back at this in the morning.

Thanks for all your help.

-Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stuart, you should start a new thread because that is a totally different subject.

As for the radiobutton; the third functionality (resetting) is not working in Captivate 7.

The Preview button for advanced conditional actions was already available in CP7. It is not, even in CP8, available for standard actions. AFAIK the only difference between CP7 and CP8 is the added possibility to define literals and variables as parameters in shared actions. For normal advanced actions, nothing changed; you probably have another issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for more radio button and advanced actions information. You're right, I should have started a new thread. I even thought of that as I was writing that post, but I was feeling desperate - that's no excuse though. In future I'll always start a new thread for a new topic.

A little bit ago I realized the advanced actions step I missed, and fixed it. It's all working fine now.

Thanks much,

-Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just my opinion, but I'd hesitate to use radio buttons for navigation.  I don't think it follows typical usability standards. To me, radio buttons correlate to making a "selection" for a list, form, or data entry. Any reason not to use a button for navigation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a list at the beginning of the course, I'm a new employee," "I've been here 6 months," etc. You pick your status and it takes you to the appropriate starting point. The project head wants to use radio buttons, but I think I'll just use nav buttons - keep it simple.

Thanks.

-Stuart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want 'one' radio button in that case, instead of using the number you need and use a conditional action to check the value of the variable associated with the radio buttons interaction?  That is a lot easier than having many one button radio interactions. I can see why this is wanted, since one choice out of many is asked, radio buttons are a logical choice in that case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. The project is done, but I'll keep this in mind when I have a similar situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources