13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 8:54 PM by ManiacJoe

where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?

john Nall Level 1

I just switched to Lightroom CC.  I didn't wish to, but Adobe has set notice that it will no longer support Lightroom outside the CC version (e.g. no new lens profiles, etc). 

Anyway, I just noticed that many of the photo adjustments I made in previous Lightroom versions are missing in Lightroom CC.  In fact, when I open Lightroom 5, they're missing there too!  This must have happened during the upgrade process. Does anyone know how to retrieve them?

• 1. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're opening the same catalog in Lightroom 5 that you have always been using, then the adjustments should be there. The adjustments are stored in the catalog. If you allowed Lightroom CC to upgrade your old catalog, the adjustments should be there as well.

• 2. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I personally have not had that happen and have never heard of it happening. Go into the Develop module and check a few image to see if the edits you have done are still there. Like check the sharpening setting, Detail panel, and the basic panel for exposure, Temp/Tint and the like settings.

You can't really tell from the library module as that uses a Preview image for display.

• 3. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
              john Nall Level 1

I just followed the installation instructions, and one of them had something to do with catalogs.  What is odd is that not all adjustments I've made are missing.  Also as I said, when I open Lightroom 5, they are missing there too. Frankly I've never understood "catalogs."  I just open Lightroom and go to work.

• 4. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                john Nall Level 1

The adjustments do not appear in the Development mode either. And actually you can from the Library module.  Adjustment icons show up in lower right corner of the thumbnail.

I just took a look at catalog settings, and It notes the catalog was created today at 12:40, when I upgraded to Lightroom CC.  It also notes that the catalog is stored in my backup external disk.  I keep all my files in my iMac hard drive.  I'm not sure what the catalog is doing in the backup disk.

• 5. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Then I believe it would be a good idea for you to take the time to understand catalogs. The catalog is the key file in Lightroom. When you import images, it places a marker in the catalog so that Lightroom knows where the images are located on your computer. When you make adjustments to your images in Lightroom those adjustments are stored in the catalog. Your images are left untouched. When you save a you just open Lightroom and go to work, Lightroom is opening a catalog (which is a database) and utilizes that catalog to keep track of your images and all the work that you do in Lightroom. It's critical that the catalog is backed up on a regular basis. If the catalog is lost then all of the work you have done in Lightroom will be lost as well. The images will still be on your computer, but all of your work will be gone.

• 6. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                    john Nall Level 1

Thanks much for the explanation.  I have read that some users create a number of catalogs.  I've always used one.  However there are more than one in my hard drive, which may have been the result of upgrading Lightroom six times now.

I just checked out all my folders and only one seems to be missing corrections. I have my iMac backing up every hour.

• 7. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?

john Nall wrote:

I just took a look at catalog settings, and It notes the catalog was created today at 12:40, when I upgraded to Lightroom CC.  It also notes that the catalog is stored in my backup external disk.  I keep all my files in my iMac hard drive.  I'm not sure what the catalog is doing in the backup disk.

The reason it is on your external is because for some reason LR found the LR 5 backup catalog on the external first instead of finding the real catalog that is on the iMac hard drive.

In LR select File, menu item, then Open Catalog. Browse to the place your real LR 5 catalog is stored, probably in the Users/YourUserName/Pictures folder, and open that catalog. LR 6 will then make a copy of that catalog, Convert it to a LR 6 catalog and you will then start using that new LR 6 catalog on the iMac hard drive. You can then safely delete the one on your external drive.

• 8. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                        john Nall Level 1

Does it make sense that all my sub photo files show my corrections but one?  And, it's not the most recent folder, either!  I'll look into your cure, but given Mr. Hess's caution that catalogs hold all corrections, I need to act with caution.

• 9. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?

Not sure but if the REAL LR 5 catalog is on the iMac drive, the one you have used with LR 5, there is no harm in opening it and allowing LR 6 making a copy and converting that. LR 6 does not overwrite any older version catalogs. It make a Copy of it and converts that copy. So your original LR 5 catalog is not touched except to make a copy of it.

• 10. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                            john Nall Level 1

The LR5 catalog is located on my internal iMac disk.  However, when I open LR5, it too is now missing corrections I had made too.  Same missing ones as in LR CC. 

• 11. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?

Have you checked the Develop module and looked at a few images and the adjustment sliders? If they have been moved from the default location the numbers will be white/brighter then if they are in the default location. That means it has been adjusted. Is there an icon in the lower right hand side of the image? Like this.

Adjustment icon.PNG

That icon means the image has had a LR adjustment applied. Do you see anything like that on any of your images in either LR 5 or LR 6

Did you open the REAL LR 5 catalog in LR 6 with the steps I gave you above?

• 12. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                                john Nall Level 1

I think I figured this thing out.  My monitor screen went out back in late June. I had it replaced.  Apple also replaced the hard drive; apparently hard drives installed around the time my machine was assembled showed higher failure rates than expected.  At that time, my back up wasn't current...I lost some major sorting work and had to do it again.  These were the images where the adjustments were lost.  Sooooo, I lost both my sorting work AND some file adjustment work.  I didn't put the two together until just now. I thank both Shootist and Jim Hess for their time and effort in trying to help. One thing that can't be fixed is the failing brain of a 67 year old!

PS: LR CC has stored my catalog in my external hard drive. I thought it would be in my internal HD, along with all the pics.  Is there any reason to move it, or is that risky?

Thanks again gentlemen,

John Nall

• 13. Re: where's my photo adjustments Lightroom cc?
                                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

LR does not care where your catalog is located (internal or external drive), nor does it care where your images are located (internal or external drive). The two do not need to be in the same place.

One advantage to the catalog being on an external drive is that you can easily move the drive from computer to computer if you have multiple computers.

Otherwise, probably the one advantage of the catalog being on an internal drive is that the internal drive is probably faster than the external drive due to the wired connection (USB or whatever) of the external drive.