12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 6:13 AM by Peter Spier

Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

kwelsby Level 1

Dear all

My InDesign has just updated to the latest 2015 (version 11.01, I think).

I'm using an iMac with the latest OS X 10.10.4 and have been using the Creative Cloud subscription service for a couple of years now – never had a problem like this with previous updates.

The update happened a couple of days ago, but only today have I needed / had time for the new InDesign – I need to update my biog/profile/resumé.

So..

1. Without thinking about the app update, I simply double-click the InD file which I want to update, something which I have done routinely for years.
        2. See the new app splash screen – and think "Oh, should I have sorted out preferences etc first?"
        3. But as the splash screen goes away and the app workspace appears, it disappears and InD hangs.

Next step: delete the various preferences and try again.

This time I decide to start by opening InD directly from the Apps folder.

Same thing.

So...

1. Use the Uninstall function from the Creative Cloud menu
      2. Also remove preferences and caches
      3. Remove the various folders which contained the prefs files
      4. De-Activate my working fonts in FontAgent Pro, leaving only "bare bones" minimum system fonts
      5. Empty trash
      6. Install InD again from CC
      7. Restart

This time I at least get as far as the workspace appearing – but as I go to File/Open, it crashes again.

I am in London, UK, and it will be the early hours of Monday local time before tech support chat opens. But I need to send my profile out for the start of business day and then have other work to progress.

All suggestions very welcome

Ken

• 1. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Any error messages?

Post the crash report on pastebin.com and provide a link to it here.

• 3. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

What version were you running before this update? Was it installed on this computer?

Your crash indicates a problem in Apple code, but it might have to do with Java. CC requires that you install the older version of java (sorry, I don't have a link, could one of our mac users jump in, please?).

• 4. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
              PaoloJan

i have the same problem.....

• 5. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
                kwelsby Level 1

Thanks

I always take the updates offered by CC, so was using whatever the last version of InDesign was.

So I need to track down an older version of Java? What does that do with CC that the new one doesn't – or is it the other way round? Could someone explain / point me in the right direction.

I always thought Java was a tool for web browsers, ie Firefox and maybe Safari? I think Firefox recently asked for / got a Java update, and Chrome had to be updated to do its own thing.  So do I have a choice between having a browser that works or InDesign that work?

Many thanks – at least we seem to have a direction to travel, even if the destination isn't quite in sight.

• 6. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

Not necessarily. I'm trying to establish exactly what you were running before, and where. It's not unusual for some users who were running 11.0.0 to have trouble after updating to 11.0.1, but that's likely different from problems users of 10.0.x have when they upgrade to version 11. If you were already running version 11 it won't be a Java problem.

• 7. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
                    kwelsby Level 1

Thanks much

Sorry to be so dense. I think I was previously using V10, but can't verify as I have deleted all the previous support files. Certainly there were folders referencing V10, and I think the v11 folders were all dated currently - ie on or after 31 July.

If there is a list anywhere of what Adobe released when, I can check, because whenever CC gave me an update message I always installed it promptly.

So assuming that I ws previously using v10, what's the drill? Please let me know if there is an easy fix. Otherwise I am happy to wait until Monday European time and log in to tech chat if they will have a solution.

Thanks once again

Ken

• 8. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

While I'm not convinced this is the problem, I did find a link for you for Java: Java for OS X 2015-001 I don't think yiou can do any damage trying to run it if it's already installed.

We can also try a couple of other diagnostic steps to narow down where the problem is if that isn't it. Boot with the Shift key held down to suppress startups, and boot using a new Mac user account to check to see if it's a user library issue (very likely).

• 9. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
                        kwelsby Level 1

Just to say thanks for your help. I have now successfully updated an existing InD doc and created a new one.

Here's what worked

1. Uninstalled InD from the CC dropdown
                        2. Deleted all the InDesign folders and their contents - preferences, caches, saved states etc. Several posts here identify them and their locations but I also did a search on both the internal drive where my "home: / user folder lives, the external drives and the server. In other words a complete hunting expedition which did take a while.
                        3. Ejected the external drives and disconnected from the server
                        4. De-activated FontAgent Pro fonts and then verified ALL of them – 486 fonts
                        5. Shift restart to disable startup items
                        6. Clean Install InD from the CC dropdown
                        7. Tested InD, found OK for existing and new documents
                        8. Re-activate FontAgent Pro fonts
                        9. Tested InD again, found OK
                        10. Re-enabled external drives, server and various tools in Users & Groups/Startup Items
                        11. Normal restart
                        12. Tested InD again, found OK

Hurrah!

And thanks again. I wouldn't have figured it all out without your help.

Ken

• 10. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

There's a reasonably good chance the problem is with FontAgent Pro not yet being compatible with the new version of ID. Itu usually takes some time for plugins to get caught up.

• 11. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup
                            kwelsby Level 1

That's exactly what one of my technical friends has just told me – he was away doing a 37-seat installation and setup until last night and not reading unrelated emails.

The workaround he suggests is REMOVE FontAgent Activator from Login Items, and then open FontAgent itself and activate the required fonts manually.

That works for me as I have only three or four font sets in regular use, but I can see it becoming tedious in, say, an ad production studio which needs dozens of different "font cocktails" in the course of the day.

Thanks again

• 12. Re: Help! New InDesign 2015 crashes on startup

Check for an update to FAP. If there isn't one now, there will be soon, I suspect.