3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 11:00 AM by dj_paige

Delete xmp files after starting to use LR for storage of metadata

stevepane

Dear all,

in an attempt to improve LR's performance I turned off the usage of xmp-files in LR. And it seems to help a little bit.

My newly imported RAW-files are now "naked" and I don't see the xmps anymore.

Which is fine since I don't have a need to exchange files. If I have them in LR and all attributes only in the LR database as well is fine for me.

Now the question: What to do with all the xmps that were created earlier? They are still sitting in the folder structure next to the earlier RAW-files.

I would expect I can just delete them since all the data are in the LR database anyway. Correct?

But if I do this (did a test with a few files) I get error messages that xmps are not found if I move files between folders.

Any good idea how to get rid of the xmps?

Many thanks and kind regards

Stefan

• 1. Re: Delete xmp files after starting to use LR for storage of metadata
          dj_paige Level 9

in an attempt to improve LR's performance I turned off the usage of xmp-files in LR. And it seems to help a little bit.

My understanding is that the automatic writing to xmp is no longer a performance problem in recent versions of LR. (It wasa a problem in LR 1 and LR 2).

So if you are having performance problems, xmp files are way down on my list of possible causes. Please describe in more details which Lightroom actions are slow.

Now the question: What to do with all the xmps that were created earlier? They are still sitting in the folder structure next to the earlier RAW-files.

I would expect I can just delete them since all the data are in the LR database anyway. Correct?

But if I do this (did a test with a few files) I get error messages that xmps are not found if I move files between folders.

Ignore the xmp files that exist. Do nothing. These are not causing your performance problem.

• 2. Re: Delete xmp files after starting to use LR for storage of metadata
            stevepane Level 1

Dear dj_paige,

thanks for your prompt answer.

I don't want to discuss performance issues that was just an explanation why I did what.

The question on how to deal with the "old" xmps is still open. And I don't like "ignoring" useless files in the folders.

Any idea?

Kind regards

Stefan

• 3. Re: Delete xmp files after starting to use LR for storage of metadata
              dj_paige Level 9

It doesn't hurt to leave the files and it doesn't hurt to delete them, just ignore the warning message.