9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2015 10:06 PM by A.T. Romano

get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected

jshafertx

I try to get media from DVD Camera, it gives error saying it is copy protected, which I it isn't, and won't connect to camera

• 1. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
          jshafertx Level 1

Therefore I can't connect to the camera and download video files.

• 2. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jshafertx

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is involved. Nevertheless....

You are not correct in the way that you are interpreting that message. The message refers to "if", and it is not making a judgement at that point on whether or not your content is copy protected. The "Video from copy protected DVDs cannot be imported....? is just a generalization. If your content is not copy protected then click OK to the Video Importer message, and move on in the Video Importer with the selection of your video file VOB, Save In, etc.

Copy Protected.JPG

Please consider, give more details, and then we can discuss this further if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jshafertx

Add On to my post (numbered 2)...I just saw your post (numbered 1)

Therefore I can't connect to the camera and download video files.

That is not true if you do not have copy protected files. But, you may have Video Importer problems importing depending on the Save In location that you are using - nothing to do with copy protected content.

If you have a DVD camera, I am assuming that you have a camera that records to a DVD disc in DVD-VIDEO format (either standard or widescreen). You should be taking the DVD disc from the camera, inserting it in the burner tray, and the using the project's Add Media/DV camera and computer drive/Video Importer. Are you doing that to copy the VIDEO_TS Folder's VTS_01_1.VOB and series files so that you can move them into a Premiere Elements project?

Please review all to make sure that we are OK on this matter.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                jshafertx Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I am not correct that it is a DVD Camera, it is an HDR-XR160.

The Adobe Premeire Elements is version 13, I just updated it.  My computer is a MAC, with Yosemite and 10.10.3

I went back to the other option for downloading videos, "Videos from Flip or Cameras."  The files are .MTS files.  I downloaded one and it had black all through it so I am downloading others.  They seem to be downloading but picture quality is not good.

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

• 5. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

FWIW, the Sony HDR-XR160 is not a DVD camcorder.

It is an AVCHD camcorder from which you should be able to download the video per ATR's instructions.

• 6. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jshafertx

Thanks for the follow up and the clarification on your camera and video source from that camera.

From what you now describe, you probably have 1920 x 1080@60 progressive frames per second as AVCHD.mts file.

You may have to convert the AVCHD.mts file to AVCHD.mp4 or AVCHD.mov for your Premiere Elements Mac computer environment. Let us see how the following suggested tests turn out first. And, then explore the free video converters. There should be plenty online. The mention of video converters typically brings out spam contributions (programs for purchase) among the other genuine user to user suggestions.

But, let us do this first. Compare the quality of what you are doing now (import via Video Importer) versus transferring your AVCHD.mts to your computer save location, and then, from the computer save location, import them into Premiere Elements via Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline.

But, before importing the video into Premiere Elements one way or the other, set the project preset manually to match the description of your source video.

If you have 1080p60, then you set for

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

The steps for the manual project preset settings are:

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Please consider. Once we have the import details OK, then we can talk about your export needs and the Premiere Elements export choices.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

jshafertx

To avoid any detours in what I have actually suggested....

1. We agreed that your camera is not a DVD camera which is based on recordings to a DVD disc. So, all the details on that type of camera and how to get the videos from it into Premiere Elements are not applicable as per my post details found in post 3 and 4..

2. With your clarification, we now know that you have AVCHD.mts files that you need to transfer from your camera to Premiere Elements Mac. In that regard, the only choices that I am suggesting and describing are

a. Premiere Elements Expert workspace Add Media/Video From Flip or Cameras/Video Importer with a USB cable connection between camera and computer

or

b. Transfer of camera recordings to computer saving location and then from there into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Expert workspace's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to Timeline.

Two side issues suggested are

a. Project preset manually set to match properties of source media before the source media are imported whichever way

b. Probable need for original AVCHD.mts conversion to AVCHD.mov or AVCHD.mp4 before import of any kind into the Premiere Elements project.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                        jshafertx Level 1

Thanks...

I did change the project to AVCD 1080p60 and that seemed to help.  The .MTS files for the one video file moved into Premier Elements and now I am rendering it to an MPEG. 

I did one earlier and the sound didn't transfer, so I'll have to see if this does or not.  If not, I'm back to square one.

I don't know how to transfer the .MTS files to my computer HD (" transferring your AVCHD.mts to your computer save location") without going through a program such as Premier.  I tried finding it in Finder but I couldn't.  Can you tell me how to do that?

I can use the program Handbrake, if I need to do a conversion.

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.

• 9. Re: get media from dvd camera says it is copy protected
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jshafertx

Thanks for the follow ups.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user but I try to find common ground on the Premiere Elements Windows Mac user issues.

HandBrake would be an excellent choice to obtain a H.264.mp4 file from your AVCHD.mts files (if it comes to that). The free program is supposed to be for Mac and Windows.

https://handbrake.fr/

Another excellent program is MPEG Streamclip

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac OS X

I suspect that you are most likely going to need to convert these .mts to .mp4, but let us see.

The following is a Sony description of transferring video to Mac hard drive. Looks like it depends a lot on iMovie.

SONY | eSupport - How to transfer video to an Apple® Macintosh® computer from a camcorder with a hard disk drive.

To be continued

ATR