4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 10:02 AM by annakinmk

Stupid subscription licensing - can't I get a standalone license?

annakinmk

Are Adobe ever going to offer a single user, stand alone license?

Out of principle ... and a hatred of this business model... I am thinking of migrating to Clip Studio on a permanent basis to keep up to date with Illustrative technology. I love Illustrator but I refuse to buy into this kind of licensing; it does not consider customer needs in the slightest.

Should I hang on for a future version where Adobe see sense, or is this it and shall I jump ship now?

• 1. Re: Stupid subscription licensing - can't I get a standalone license?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While it may not serve your particular needs (nor my own for that matter), the subscription model does serve many professionals quite well in that they always have they latest updates for their software at a less expensive rate than having to own all of the applications and upgrade every time a new version is released.  Adobe is allowed to choose who their products and sales approach will serve, and we are allowed to decide whether or not it works for us.  Adobe does still sell the single user standalone CS6 products if you don't yet have them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stupid subscription licensing - can't I get a standalone license?
            annakinmk Level 1

Hi Ned

I already have CS6 - I'm just thinking of being able to access any future upgrades. I've heard the arguments and I can see the benefit for some, but Adobe are going a bit Model-T and alienating a lot of their user base if you ask me.

I tend to be the kind of user who will upgrade software and stick with the same software when I find one I like.That would have been Illustrator but I won't succumb to this form of licensing. So, unless Adobe offer an alternative soon I can see migrating to Clip Studio for good.

bestwishes

Anna

• 3. Re: Stupid subscription licensing - can't I get a standalone license?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, there will be no further upgrades to the standalone license way of doing business for Adobe as far as their main offerings go.  You aren't the first and won't be the last to object to the turn they have taken in their business model.  For my own purposes I find myself not needing any of their products for the time being, and should I chance to my CS6 will suffice until they manage to somehow permanently disable the license.

• 4. Re: Stupid subscription licensing - can't I get a standalone license?
                annakinmk Level 1

Hi Ned

I thought that was the case ... but live in the small hope that they will listen to their cutomers at some point. if not, then Clipboard will soon by my primary port of call rather than an alternative. Shame but there you go.

Anna