30 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2016 1:17 AM by sanyamt

TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

Clint Boland Level 1

What is happening?!?! This is only a recent problem for me and I've used indesign for nearly 10 years!

After attempting to open the supposedly corrupt file, is says there's an invalid text frame. It prompts with a question of whether I want to delete it. This happens for all the text frames in the document. NO MATTER my answer, indesign crashes every time. This isn't on all documents, it just randomly happens and I have no other solution than to lose all the time I've worked on something and recreate it.

I'm a professional designer and this is unacceptable! What is happening? Why is it happening? And is there anything I can do to fix this???

I use Adobe CC and have the most recent update. Please help!

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 12.45.11 AM.png

• 2. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'd try the blind export script found at Adobe Community: InDesign 6 is crashing when attempting to open a particular document. All others are opening OK., but I suspect your file may be damaged beyond recovery. There is a bug that has cropped up in CC from time to time where ID loses track of the geometric bounds for a frame, but I've never seen a report quite like this one.

• 3. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

.. There is a bug that has cropped up in CC from time to time where ID loses track of the geometric bounds for a frame, but I've never seen a report quite like this one.

It's not a new bug in CC. I occasionally get such a malformed text frame with my daily work horse – CS4. Unfortunately it cannot fix this on its own, but opening the document with the last version shows exactly that dialog, and usually it's only one empty text frame and safe to have it deleted. (I guess the improvement, then, is that a newer ID recognizes bad text frames, rather than silently crashing.)

Alas: I have no idea on how to replicate the issue and create such a frame on purpose.

• 4. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

Might be a different bug from the one I'm thinking of, which I don't recall seeing earlier than CC. In the one I'm thinking of the file typically will open, but there will be one or more frames that if selected (and the only way I know to do that is select all, then deselect everything else) show astronomically large or small dimensions, listed in scientific notation.

What do you do when your bug crops up?

• 5. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter Spier wrote:

[..] What do you do when your bug crops up?

Before or after?

Before: nothing special Typically, I do some work on 3 or 4 publications a day, which may have not been worked on for about a week. That's why it's kinda hard to figure out what "went wrong" last time I or someone else saved it. I have not yet discovered a pattern there. (Also, with CS4 this bug does not occur as frequent as it seems to do with CC. Months go by without it, then I get it two times in one week.)

After: while working on it, I slowly get convinced the document is obviously corrupted in some way. Find/Change crashes. Exporting to PDF crashes. Exporting to IDML crashes. Opening-as-copy does nothing useful, Save As doesn't either (sometimes, if memory serves, will crash as well). Opening the document with CC shows the dialog, where I choose "Yes" and save as IDML. That usually fixes it.

I've tried, but I never have been able to locate the supposedly "damaged" text frame [*], so I can't check if it is the same kind of bug as your 4th Dimensions frame, and it may or it may not be the same bug.

[*] This includes running a 50 MB document through my own integrity checker, which somewhere in (literally!) a million lines of output lists *all* text frames.

• 6. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

Thanks. Doesn't sound like you've figured out a sure-fire fix, which is too bad.

• 7. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                    Clint Boland Level 1

In my case, it won't even let me open it. Even if I choose to open anyways and ask ID to delete the corrupt frame in question (which ends up being EVERY frame - this prompt picture posted originally will go through every text frame with that question) it will STILL crash. Therefore I have nothing to even go off of in starting a new document... wasted time, start from scratch. It's random. I have no clue what makes this happen.

• 8. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                      Clint Boland Level 1

THEN this happens after each crash, and again, no matter my choice, I can't get the file to open. If I choose to recover, it crashes, if I say cancel, ID still stay open but no document.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 11.05.53 AM.png

• 9. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

Your recovery data is now corrupt. If you can get ID to open, will any file open from the File > Open command? If you can't even get ID to launch you'll need to empty the InDesign Recovery folder.

What's your OS?

• 10. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                          Clint Boland Level 1

I'm on Mac OS X and up-to-date CC. And yes, other files open and ID works fine. It's just random. This is the second file that has done this to me but it's worrisome for larger files for higher paying clients. Would love to know if there's anything that can be done.

I've already restored preferences and it didn't help anything.

Luckily this was just a business card so I'm not at too much of a loss. The previous file that did this to me was more of a concern but has since been redone.

I'm more concerned about this happening in the future without knowing what the cause is?!

Any other ideas?

• 11. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

If you post a crash report (if you have one) on pastebin.com and give us a link to it we might see some clue.

In general, for the most trouble-free experience I suggest never opening a legacy .indd file directly in a new version -- export the original to .inx or .idml from the original version instead and convert that. If you can't do that, open the file, then immediately export to IDML and then resave that to a new .indd. Never overwrite the original. Also, never work with files stored on removable media. Copy to your hard drive, edit, then save and copy back to the removable media. I feel the same about working live to a network share.

• 12. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                              Clint Boland Level 1

Process: Adobe InDesign CC 2015 [5634] Path: /Ap - Pastebin.com

This is the crash report.

(I have no idea if I did that right.)

This was simply a business card, was not previously anything else, started with a fresh document. I remember copying over text from another document but for the most part, all was created new. I worked directly from my laptop hard drive... it's the most simple document. It has one large image, layers of color with effects, and text boxes. I'm not sure what the problem would be...

• 13. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

It's text related. Do you use a third-part font manager? The auto-activation plugin may not be compatible with the new release if you do.

• 14. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                  Clint Boland Level 1

I don't use a third party font manager. I use Font Book. Interesting... because many times there might be another file with that font from all the materials I create for one client. So why would it be corrupt in only one document if those fonts are used in all documents?

• 15. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

I wasn't suggesting the font is corrupt, but that a plugin is not compatible.

• 16. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

Left out a couple of important tips to prevent crashing...

Don't embed images, or paste complex paths from illustrator. Link them instead. Do a Save As at the end of each editing session to clear out useless change data that causes file bloat. I typically do a save as at every major point in the editing process, saving with a new name that includes a versioning number. That lets me go back and take a different branch from any major change point, as well as creating a backup chain, just in case.

• 17. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                        Clint Boland Level 1

If the plugin is not compatible how would I fix this? Thanks for all your help.

• 18. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

You would need to contact the plugin vendor for an updated version.

• 19. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                            Paola BC

This issue is so weird, my workmates are using InDesign CC 2015 and no problem at all.

In my case, after lose all my work in 3 files, I re-installed OS X Yosemite to version 10.10.2 (before, I was using 10.10.5), I installed InDesign CC 2015 and I saved a IDML for have a backup.

And then, I couldn't believe the crash happened again the same problem than Clint Boland, invalid frame and bla bla. Well lucky me I saved a IDML file and now I will work in InDesign 2014.

I have been working with Adobe Software many years and never I seen something like that. How Clin Boland said, this problem is unacceptable because I lose too many hours of work.

Thanks,

Paola

• 20. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                              michelt80602532 Level 1

ADOBE OFFICIAL SOLUTION: I've been talking to adobe on Facebook about this (because their tech support sucks) and they have admitted the following to me:

1) There is a known bug in indesign CC2015 that causes the program to crash when working on text boxes (resizing, editing type, anything really).

2) The documents are corrupted beyond recovery during the crash so you will have to start from scratch.

3) There is no fix. I was advised to revert to an older version of indesign. When I asked what the last stable version of the program was I was told it was last stable in 2014. NO 2015 VERSIONS ARE STABLE.

4) Yes this does mean that you'll have to save everything you've done and still need to access down to an idml file, then uninstall ID2015, then install ID 2014 and reopen there.

RELEVENT LINKS:

Documentation of text frame known issue. )Note the patch. Upon installation of the patch ID failed to launch entirely and I had to completely reinstall. No luck there): https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-2015-1-crashes-while-working-on-text.html

Instructions to get ID 2014 installed: Download and install Adobe Creative Cloud apps

I've attached a couple of screen shots to verify this info came from adobe, and to show they acknowledge that their software is unstable. This is a huge disservice to users. I've lost countless ads and large brochures that had to be recreated from scratch repeatedly resulting in proofing delays and errors. Adobe is a joke.

Adobe1.jpg

Adobe2.jpg

Adobe3.jpg

• 21. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                Paola BC Level 1

Hi Michael,

This problem drive me nuts. I sent a complaint to Adobe for this issue.

I tried with plugin, re-installed the OS and nothing. I started to work with InDesign 2014 and 2015 for open the files and you know what, I can't open InDesign 2014 anymore. I updated InDesign CC 2015 (yesterday), thinking the issue is fixed, and nothing.

• 22. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                  Liona0731

I'm stuck on a long document with this. Each frame threaded, the problem is in one specific line in the frame.
                                                  When you say start from scratch, are we talking a placing/copying in 100% unformatted text into ID from it's original source (for me, Word)? Was thinking starting a new doc from scratch and pasting in the already formatted (C and P styles) into new frames would solve it?

• 23. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN

If you can't open the original file I don't see how yo uare going to be able to do anything other than start from nothing and rebuild, re-importing the text and re-creating the styles (unless the same styles are uses in some other file, in which you can use Load Styles and get them there).

• 24. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                      michelt80602532 Level 1

Hi Paola. You will have to open the files using Indesign 2015, save as IDML, then open with Indesign 2014.

***If you attempt to install the patch that adobe provides for Indesign 2015 then you will no longer be able to open Indesign 2014. You will have to uninstall both the 2014 and 2015 versions and install both again without the patch.

***The patch interferes with Indesign 2014 opening.

• 25. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                        michelt80602532 Level 1

Hi Liona, If you are having this issue then you will be unable to open the document at all. By "start from scratch" we mean that you will have to start with a blank Indesign document. You will be unable to open the old document without indesign crashing, and therefore will be unable to copy anything out of it.

I have had some luck emailing corrupted documents to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com. They have managed to recover a couple of documents that got corrupted, though not all of them. Multi-page documents seem to be more difficult to recover than single pages.

• 26. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                          krister_h_persson

Got any solution to the problem Clint? We have got the same problem at our agency for the first time last week and now again! Feels like it's caused by CC 2015 which we've used only a month or two. I've been using Indesign professionally every week since Indesign replaced PageMaker and I've never seen the error message before.

Any news to share?

• 27. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                            sandidash

I'm with you Krister,

Same thing has happened to me... I'm guessing there is no way to fix this / save the file. Anyone out there have any ideas?

• 28. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                              desloovere_j

Same problem over here.

Nothing seems to work.

Anybody knows  a working solution?

• 29. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                                desloovere_j Level 1

Opening the file is not possible. Since Adobe InDesign crashes everytime.

• 30. Re: TEXT FRAME CRASHES INDESIGN
                                                                  sanyamt Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar