3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 12:37 PM by nic_tunney

need to include coldfusion query as dropdown option

srinath2785
      <script> function myFunction() { document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML += "<select><option value='1'>option1</option><option value='1'>Option2</option><option value='1'>Option3</option><option value='1'>Option4</option><option value='1'>Option5</option></select>";   var select = document.createElement("select"); //replace this second dropdown with the coldfusion query in below place         var option = document.createElement("option"); option.value = "SubOption1"; option.text = "SubOption"; select.appendChild(option);  document.getElementById("demob").appendChild(select);  return false; } </script>

The above javascript shows dropdown with 5 options, when any of that is selected, the second dropdown shows and list "SubOption1" as the second dropdown options.

My question or where i need further help is, i have a coldfusion query

<cfselect name="NameList" size="1" query="UserRole_q" value="EmpID" display="Name" selected="#temp#"          > <option value="-1"></option> </cfselect> 

which pulls all employee names from the database and list as options.

so, to end my question , i need help placing this coldfusion query to replace the second dropdown ("SubOption1") in the javascript above. thank you for your time

• 1. Re: need to include coldfusion query as dropdown option
          nic_tunney Adobe Community Professional

The forum doesn't seem to be showing your code correctly (runs off the page for me so I can't view it in FF and Chrome).  Any chance you can try to reformat it so we can attempt to answer your question?

• 2. Re: need to include coldfusion query as dropdown option
            srinath2785 Level 1

<script>

function myFunction()

{ document.getElementById("demo").innerHTML += "<select>

<option value='1'>option1</option>

<option value='1'>Option2</option>

<option value='1'>Option3</option>

<option value='1'>Option4</option>

<option value='1'>Option5</option>

</select>";  

var select = document.createElement("select");

//replace this second dropdown with the coldfusion query in below place        

var option = document.createElement("option");

option.value = "SubOption1";

option.text = "SubOption";

select.appendChild(option); 

document.getElementById("demob").appendChild(select); 

return false;

} </script>

The above javascript shows dropdown with 5 options, when any of that is selected, the second dropdown shows and list "SubOption1" as the second dropdown options.

My question or where i need further help is, i have a coldfusion query

<cfselect name="NameList" size="1" query="UserRole_q" value="EmpID" display="Name" selected="#temp#"><option value="-1"></option> </cfselect>

which pulls all employee names from the database and list as options.

so, to end my question , i need help placing this coldfusion query to replace the second dropdown ("SubOption1") in the javascript above. thank you for your time

• 3. Re: need to include coldfusion query as dropdown option
              nic_tunney Adobe Community Professional

If you aren't going to be retrieving the options via Ajax the easiest solution is just to loop over the query within your JS:

var select = document.createElement("select");

//replace this second dropdown with the coldfusion query in below place

<cfoutput>

<cfloop query="UserRole_q">

var option = document.createElement("option");

option.value = "#UserRole_q.empId#";

option.text = "#UserRole_q.name#";

select.appendChild(option);

</cfloop>

</cfoutput>

document.getElementById("demob").appendChild(select);

Something like that should work.  You might have to tidy it up.