11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 6:48 AM by trshaner

Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?

andy_wilk Level 1

I have pretty much the highest spec late 2014 iMac and run LR5.
      LR5 is set to use plenty of memory etc..
      D800 files process quite happily on it, but the smaller files from my D4s seem to struggle significantly in post-processing.
      Can anyone please throw any light on this for me?

[Moved from the generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
          dj_paige Level 9

Exactly what post processing steps are you performing on the D4s images? Is this in any way different than the post-processing on the D800 images?

Exactly what actions in Lightroom's Develop Module are slow on the D4s images?

• 2. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
            andy_wilk Level 1

Hi

Files from both D800 and D4s cards are copied into the same folder on the iMac HDD, then imported into LR5. Images are sorted into Capture Time (camera clocks synced) so that they are in sequence.

All files get a 'standard preview' render.

Afer some global synced processing, all individual files will then have pretty much the same sort of treatment e.g. cropping, clarity, local brush adjustments.

If the 'next one up' fil to be processed happens to be from my D4s, things just take much longer. If the one after that is from the D800, things are sweet!

I notice that the activity monitor becomes 'busy' when the D4s files are being processed, but I can't really determine (I'm non-technical) what's going on.

The main cause of 'sluggishness' occurs when I'm cropping, but that might in part be because it is quite often on of the first things I do in PP workflow to individual files.

So, to answer your question in summary: to all intents all things are equal.

• 3. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
              dj_paige Level 9

A possibility is you are doing a lot of brushing, and this causes slowness.

• 4. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                andy_wilk Level 1

Whatever actions and in whatever quantity they are performed, they have been performed across hundreds, if not thousands of images to the extent that the actions are fairly average and randomised; the evidential experience is that the D4s files are always significantly slower to respond to processing than the D800 files.
                To me, this is counter intuitive, because the average file sizes of the D4s are about 2/3ds that of the D800 files.
                I'm wondering if there is anything different between the way the images are saved/written/read/processed resulting from the different image sensors in the cameras......if there was a technical explanation along these lines, at least I could align my expectations to the fact rather than feel frustrated by the experience.

• 5. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                  dj_paige Level 9

Well, sorry to say, I have no further explanation, and I hope someone else can explain this.

• 6. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                    andy_wilk Level 1

I did an online chat with Nikon, earlier - they'd never heard of this before.

Oh well....I appreciate your suggestions and inputs.

• 7. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

andy_wilk wrote:

To me, this is counter intuitive, because the average file sizes of the D4s are about 2/3ds that of the D800 files.

Nikon D4s 16.2 Megapixels

Nikon D800 36.3 Megapixels

16.2/36.3 = .45

If the D4s 'file size' is typically 2/3 (.67) that of the D800 then something is different with the camera settings. They should typically be ~1/2 the size. What ISO and Luminance NR setting are you using with the D4s images and D800 images?

• 8. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                        andy_wilk Level 1

I think I was just trying to make the point that the D4s image files are smaller than those of the D800....half or two thirds didn't seem to important, unless, as I think you suggest, the reason for that difference is an in-camera setting.

The camera settings are mirrored, except D800 High ISO NR is 'Norm'; D4s High ISO NR is 'off'.

• 9. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?

andy_wilk wrote:

The camera settings are mirrored, except D800 High ISO NR is 'Norm'; D4s High ISO NR is 'off'.

How about the LR Develop settings are they identical, and if not, what's different. Clearly there's something different since we both agree the smaller megapixel D4s files should be speedier in LR than the larger D800 files.      If shooting in NEF file format  I don't believe the camera High ISO NR setting does anything to the raw data so something else is going on.

It's not clear to me what you mean by "process more slowly" in LR. Exactly what is slow?

• 10. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?
                            andy_wilk Level 1

Agree about larger files should take longer - seems to be logical.

Images from whichever camera will be processed according to the needs of each image - brightening, clarity, cropping.

There are no particular aspects of processing that apply to an image from one camera than to an image from the other, so in respect to post-processing operations images from either camera receive average post-processing.

I don't know in absolute terms what 'slow processing' is; what I do know is that the smaller D4s files process more jerkily/hesitantly/slower in relative terms to the larger files from the D800.

It's somewhat puzzling and, in the absence of sound technical justification, quite frustrating.

• 11. Re: Why do my D4s image files process more slowly than d800 files?

andy_wilk wrote:

I don't know in absolute terms what 'slow processing' is; what I do know is that the smaller D4s files process more jerkily/hesitantly/slower in relative terms to the larger files from the D800.

So you are saying the Develop module screen update is noticeably slower (control slider lag) with the smaller D4s image files. Have you updated to LR 5.7.1? I'll be glad to look at a couple of the image files and try to determine if it's an issue with the files or LR settings. Export a D800 and D4s file that clearly demonstrates the issue to DNG and Confirm that the D4s DNG file still exhibits the slower response. Upload the two DNG files to Dropbox or other file sharing site and post the links in your reply. Use image files you don't mind sharing in the forum–Any image that exhibits the issue.