10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 11:38 AM by A.T. Romano

allan walker [file codec problem]

open vessel

error message with adobe premiere 12. this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed, what do I do to open it?

[Title edited for clarity... Mod]

• 1. Re: allan walker
          A.T. Romano Level 7

open vessel

Please give your thread a title that relates to the issue being presented for consideration. This is important to other users reading threads looking for answers and using the thread title as a guide.

What computer operating system is involved? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

To your immediate question...

The prime information needed is what are the properties of the file (video or audio?) that you are trying to import into your Premiere Elements project

Video compression

Audio compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

One way of getting that information is by giving the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video/audio.

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Codec tutorial on Vimeo https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1567965

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 3. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
              A.T. Romano Level 7

open vessel

Just a convenience note...to bypass downloading and installing video audio properties readout programs, the quick and still effective way to get important troubleshooting information is if you could just tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera recording the video (or audio) file that is not importing into Premiere Elements project.

Example...just telling us that you have an audio file from iTunes would point to the answer. Lots of other examples exist.

ATR

• 4. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                open vessel Level 1

open vessel here. I use a nikkon D5100 hd camera. As I was typing an error code 3 came up for my graphics card. it took me to nvidia website to download update driver. This driver was compromised by some bitcoin virus that took over and was using my graphics card. I had to do a system restore. I can open up my video and audio on my lap top, but not on my desk top.

My system specs are

manufacture: hp

model: 700-215xt

Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU@ 3.40 GHz 3.40 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

• 5. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                  open vessel Level 1

open vessel here. I use a nikkon D5100 hd camera. As I was typing an error code 3 came up for my graphics card. it took me to nvidia website to download update driver. This driver was compromised by some bitcoin virus that took over and was using my graphics card. I had to do a system restore. I can open up my video and audio on my lap top, but not on my desk top.

file type is (.prel)

My system specs are

manufacture: hp

model: 700-215xt

Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU@ 3.40 GHz 3.40 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

• 6. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

open vessel

Thanks for the replies. The Nikkon D5100 information. That tells us that your are working with AVCHD.mov (probably 1920 x 1080 @ 30, 25, 24 progressive frames per second).

Since you have a  .mov file, please make sure that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements and the problem.

Have you attempted to uninstall the video card/graphics card and then reinstall it with the last driver version according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? At this point, I cannot be sure if a latest version of the card might be the issue and you need to roll back to the prior driver version.

In the end, you may need to do an uninstall of both QuickTime and Premiere Elements, run the free ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts) in your computer, and reinstall (first QuickTime, then Premiere Elements) with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ccleaner&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Added note: before uninstalling Premiere Elements, deactivate it in an opened project using Help Menu/Sign Out. Then close out of there and uninstall the program the usual way.

Remember to run the programs as administrator.

Please consider, and then we can decide what the next steps will be.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                      open vessel Level 1

I will do this, thanks for your quick response.

• 8. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

open vessel

Thanks for the reply and considering the troubleshooting suggestions.

Please do not hesitate anywhere along the line to stop and ask questions or ask for clarification on any of the suggestions.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                          open vessel Level 1

I looked for uninstall of quick time and I don't even have it. all I have is nvidia g force graphic card and adobe flash player activex (x64)

• 10. Re: allan walker [file codec problem]
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

open vessel

I am assuming that your computer is Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

In that is the case, if you have not already, go to Control Panel/Programs and verify if you see QuickTime 7 listed as an installed program. If not, important to install it. Please use the following link for that.

Apple - QuickTime - Download

Then determine if that is your answer, especially since you have a QuickTime file. Do nothing else now -evaluate this one factor.

Sounds like the possible solution. Let us see.

Thanks.

ATR