4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2006 9:40 PM by pfg

deleting locked files

pfg
      I had copied a site folder and some of the documents in the folder were checked in or locked. Now I cannot delete these files. I drag them into the trash and the trash will not empty. When I try to drag these files into the site folder so I can check out and unlock them, they are copied to the site folder. I now have multiple copies of locked pdf documents that I want to delete and don't know how to do it. I actually want to close out the remote site. I have a MAC PowerBook G4 with MAC OS 10.4.6. I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004. Please advise me how I can unlock files that are on my desk top and in various folders in my harddrive so that I can delete them? Thank you. Pam
        • 1. Re: deleting locked files
          Level 7
          "pfg" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:e40dn7$eud$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I had copied a site folder and some of the documents in the folder were
          >checked
          > in or locked. Now I cannot delete these files. I drag them into the trash
          > and
          > the trash will not empty. When I try to drag these files into the site
          > folder
          > so I can check out and unlock them, they are copied to the site folder. I
          > now
          > have multiple copies of locked pdf documents that I want to delete and
          > don't
          > know how to do it. I actually want to close out the remote site. I have a
          > MAC
          > PowerBook G4 with MAC OS 10.4.6. I am using Dreamweaver MX 2004. Please
          > advise
          > me how I can unlock files that are on my desk top and in various folders
          > in my
          > harddrive so that I can delete them? Thank you. Pam

The first question to answer is what has the files locked? If it is DW then
          you can close DW and browse to the directory where the files are stored and
          delete them that way as the files are only locked when DW is open.

--
          Bryan Ashcraft (remove brain to reply)
          Web Application Developer
          Wright Medical Technologies, Inc.
          =============================
          Macromedia Certified Dreamweaver Developer
          Adobe Community Expert (DW) :: http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: deleting locked files
            AirParker
            dunno about mac, but in a windows pc, i'd probebely go into dos mode and clean them up..
            • 3. Re: deleting locked files
              pfg Level 1
              These were files that were locked because I was using checkin and checkout in Dreamweaver. Some of the PDF files that are not in a folder and that are on my desktop are peculiar in that I cannot move them into Trash because they are locked. I cannot move them into another folder on the desktop because they are locked. When I try to drag them back into the site folder that is on the hard-drive, they are copied to it, even though I am simply dragging them there and not alt-dragging.(This is true whether Dreamweaver is open or closed). I have various folders that I have move to Trash that have locked files in them (all PDF and one HTML) and I cannot empty them from Trash because they are locked. (This is true when Dreamweaver is open or closed.)
              • 4. Re: deleting locked files
                pfg Level 1
                I solved my own problem. When I selected each file and Get Info fromt the File menu, I could uncheck Locked. I didn't have the option to do this from files that had a copy of them in the Trash. When I did it to the files in the Trash first, then I could also unlock the Desktop files. Thanks for your attention....Until nexttime...