3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 12:55 PM by dj_paige

Preview files in LR6

horsesonmars

I just imported all my pictures to create a new catalog after upgrading to LR6. Can I delete all the other preview files?  I have never really understood why I have so many preview file folders...

• 1. Re: Preview files in LR6
          dj_paige Level 9

horsesonmars wrote:

I just imported all my pictures to create a new catalog after upgrading to LR6. Can I delete all the other preview files?  I have never really understood why I have so many preview file folders...

You probably ought to keep the old previews, and upgrade the old LR catalog to LR6 (File->Open Catalog, point to the old catalog file), and once that is successfuly, delete the earlier LR6 catalog and its previews, and possibly the old LR catalog and its previews.

• 2. Re: Preview files in LR6
            horsesonmars Level 1

Thanks for your response, dj_paige!  Just out of curiosity, I moved all the old preview folders (there were 9 of them!) to another folder, and opened LR with the new LR6 previews. Worked fine.  I then looked at the 'properties' of the combined old previews - 9 folders going back to LR2 totalling 152,582 files and 44.1 GB; the new LR6 preview folder has 82,157 files at 2.03 GB. Not really understanding how Adobe structured all that, it looks like a lot of duplication - the old number of files was double the new. I noticed too that the new preview folder is not labeled as Lightroom 6 - 'Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata', unlike the previous versions. Am I missing something  - is there something else in those old preview folders that I need to keep? I am thinking I could clear up about 44GB on my hard drive!

• 3. Re: Preview files in LR6
              dj_paige Level 9

Previews for catalogs you are no longer using can be deleted.