5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 3:56 PM by all86947569

PowerPC is no longer supported

all86947569

Unable to open Adobe After Effects 7.0 Because PowerPC is no longer supported. what is the fix here to get the sw to work again?

• 1. Re: PowerPC is no longer supported
          Bo LeBeau Level 4

You posted in the Photoshop forum,

The After Effects forum is here: After Effects

AE7 is 8-9 years old.

If you have an older mac that can still run Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 you could run Power PC applications via Rosetta.

Apple discontinued Rosetta with 10.7 and all newer versions.

There is no fix.

You can:

• Get a subscription of AE CC2015 for $20/month, but if you stop paying, the software stops working.
          • Get an older mac that can run Snow Leopard and use Rosetta to run Power PC applications. I don't believe new macs will allow you to downgrade the OS so far back.
          • Get a Power PC mac- this would be really old and slow. Not a good idea
          • 2. Re: PowerPC is no longer supported
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Bo is correct. You are trying to use software that is more than 10 years old.

• 3. Re: PowerPC is no longer supported
              all86947569 Level 1

Thanks to both comments.

Although it is understood that the product I have is more then 10 years old, I have reached a point in my life where the software I have still could serve its simple purposes and given the amount of money it cost then and now,  like most consumers my age, it should last a very long time.

I understand that new things are added to the software, but for those many years, I have been comfortable with the existing elements with very little need to upgrade. Sometimes I wonder if there is more of a demand to keep Adobe in business by requiring folks to upgrade and renew, then keep great applications still working for many years more. When Adobe removed Rosetta, to run Power PC applications, they essentially didn't absorb the cost, or attempted to make it right with owners of these expensive applications. Instead, the thought is exactly your replies, upgrade ($$$$) or go back to inferior performance, when does it go back to Adobe for the solution.

• 4. Re: PowerPC is no longer supported
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> When Adobe removed Rosetta

That wasn't Adobe. That was Apple.

If you want to use a 10-year-old application, then you need to use a 10-year-old computer and a 10-year-old operating system.

• 5. Re: PowerPC is no longer supported
                  all86947569 Level 1

My point exactly. Thanks again.