10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 9:52 AM by Garrett Connelly

hodgepodge of quote styles

Garrett Connelly Level 1

Hello, I have ID6 on Mac OS 10.9.5. and have somehow introduced a hodgepodge of quote styles throughout four books. My preference is straight quotes. Is there a way to change all the quotes and apostrophes to straight form?

Thanks,

Garrett

• 1. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
          Derek Cross Level 6

Edit > Find/Change... will do it.

Obviously, one change in turn for each type of quote mark you want to change

Find-change.jpg

• 2. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You should probably edit the styles, too, but that won't change the existing quotes unless you reapply the styles.

• 3. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
              Garrett Connelly Level 1

Thanks for the great ideas. I didn't realize quotes could become mixed until my editor pointed it out.

I usually work in plain text but have became lazy and stuck with InDesign because it looks nice and is so easy to work with. At this point it's probably time to save an edited plain text set of chapters and start over with ID as the strictly layout tool it is intended to be.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                Garrett Connelly Level 1

Peter, Where does one find the character style for quote style?

• 5. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I was referring to making sure the correct language is assigned to the text in the style definition (under Advanced Character Formats) since the language determines what type of quotation marks are used.

You also need to go to the preferences for each existing document that has the wrong quotes and in the Type section uncheck the box Use Typographer's Quotes or go to the Dictionary section and for the languages you are using select the straight quotes option. Again, this will not affect existing text.

• 6. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                    [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Or use ^' and ^" in the Replace field. These codes will always insert straight ones, irrespective of the applied language.

Or, since

> My preference is straight quotes

... any chance of us talking you out of that personal preferences? For any and all kinds of professionally typeset text, my preference is to have the Curlies. The sole exception I'm willing to make is when using a monospaced font (for computer code).

• 7. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                      Garrett Connelly Level 1

Thanks for the search and change symbols. The type of quote doesn't bother me much, I just picked straight because most were that. What are the symbols for curlies. There are thousands of quotes.

This is very frustrating. I made a new template with english  american and typographers quotes unchecked, the thing still has random quotes. Sometimes a sentence begins with one type and ends with the other.

The font is Adobe Garamond pro which doesn't have an option in the glyphs panel for typographer's quotes.

My eyes didn't even see all this until the editor told me.

Thanks again

• 8. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                        Garrett Connelly Level 1

The problem with using search and change to typographer's quotes is that they are different on each end and replace all makes them the same on each end.

• 9. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Ah, I'm beginning to seee where your frustration comes from.

Changing the Preference does not change existing quotes in the text. Also, changing the language applied to some text does not change the existing quotes. Both options (together) only work for newly inserted text.

Garrett Connelly wrote:

The problem with using search and change to typographer's quotes is that they are different on each end and replace all makes them the same on each end.

That most likely means there is something wrong.

First, do you have a/any/some specific language applied to your text? For the new quotes to work, all of your text needs to have the same language. Please note that this has nothing to do with Preferences. "Language" is a per-character attribute, and you can assign a different language to words or entire sentences (par example, on veut inserer un bon mot en français). Whether you realize it or not, your text has at least one language assigned to it, even if it is [No Language]. Select all of your text and assign it UK: English (or rather any other language).

Then make sure Typographic Quotes is enabled. If you type a " before a word (that is, with a space at its left) it should automatically insert an Open Curly. A " after a word should automatically be inserted as a Close Curly.

If they still appear 'wrong', you may have accidentally altered the preferences for quotes in UK: English. This should be set to the top entry in the drop down list for both Double and Single quotes.

• 10. Re: hodgepodge of quote styles
                            Garrett Connelly Level 1

Well, I did check Use typographers quotes and I made two new templets, one using US and one using UK. Then I made a .txt file of the first chapter

All the quotes are the same now, straight, regardless of language. The type is Garamond pro and it doesn't have typographer's quotes.

I need to keep going with the work and am pleased to be able to have all the quotes the same.

Thanks to all of you,

Garrett