6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 6:04 AM by paulw14177811

Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge

paulw14177811

I have a new computer with Windows 10 and Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC Installed.  I have found out that the Adobe Bridge and Lightroom cannot open my RAW files from Song A7 camera.  The programs are hanged when I try to access them.  I can access the RAW files by opening them with Photoshop directly (But I can't have the preview of the files).  Any body have the same problems?

• 1. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
          dj_paige Level 9

Exactly what happens? Describe in detail the steps you follow in Lightroom and what you see on your screen. If there is an error message, please quote the complete unedited word-for-word error message. Also, please state the exact version of Lightroom that you are using.

• 2. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
            paulw14177811 Level 1

I am using the most updated version of Light room (6.1.1) and Adobe Bridge.

1. I create a new folder on desktop and copy the RAW files from my SD card to this folder using a card reader.

2. I open the Lightrom, use 'import' and add the folder to my library.  The lightroom just hangs without showing any message.

3. I try to open the RAW file with Lightroom by clicking the file directly but it hangs again (No message show)(But for Photoshop, this method works).

4. For Adobe Bridge, the situation is just similar to the Light room.

It seems strange as the above methods work fine when I using Windows 7 but not on Windows 10. For JPEG files, both of the software works fine.

One more supplementary information, here is the spec of my computer but I think the problem is not related to this.

CPU: Intel i7 4790

RAM: 16GB DDR3

Motherboard: ASUS H97 Pro Gamer

Graphic card: ASUS Geforce 960GTX (4GB)

Storage: Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

• 3. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
              dj_paige Level 9

Try this:

In the Import dialog box, Click on Copy near the top, then make sure the Destination Panel on the right is present and expanded, then go back to Add, do the photos appear (after a few seconds) and the Import begin?

• 4. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
                paulw14177811 Level 1

Dear di_paige,

Thanks for your help.  I have tried the method you suggest.  But it still doesn't work.  The RAW files cannot be previewed and imported.  The screen shot just shows what's happening when I try to open RAW files using Lightroom.

In addition to RAW files viewing, the compatibility of Lightroom with Windows 10 seems not too good.  The Lightroom always freezes and hangs, especially during searching photos.  Sometimes when I close the Lightroom and want to re-open it again, it doesn't work.  I find out that Lightroom is running as background program and I need to force it to stop but clicking "control + Alt+Delete".

RAW in Lightroom.jpg

• 5. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
                  dj_paige Level 9

See if this helps: How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted?

Also, turn off the Graphics acceleration in Lightroom (Preferences->Performance then uncheck the box)

• 6. Re: Problems when opening RAW files by Lightroom and Adobe Bridge
                    paulw14177811 Level 1

Hi, I have found out the reasons of the problem.

Actually, I have taken both photos (RAW files) and video (Full HD with 60FPS) with my Sony A7 Camera and I put both videos and RAW files into the same folder.

It is found out that it is not the RAW files that make Adobe Bridge and Lightroom hang, it is the video files that make them hang!

I try to put the video files and RAW files into seperate folder.  The RAW files can be previewed and opened.  But when I click the video folder, it hangs again.

But it is still strange because no such problem occurs when I am using Windows 7.

Anyway, thx for your help.