15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2015 6:25 AM by leesmartHWDS

Creating a DVD

leesmartHWDS

I've been asked to put a series of video files onto a DVD with a menu, is there a simple way to do this in After Effects?

• 1. Re: Creating a DVD
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You create DVDs with Encore:

Encore

• 2. Re: Creating a DVD
            leesmartHWDS Level 1

Thanks Todd, where can I find Encore?

• 4. Re: Creating a DVD
              leesmartHWDS Level 1

Thanks again Todd! I found this shortly after my last message. I've managed to put the DVD together, now I just need to get the resolution quality up! I'm amazed by how easy it is though.

• 5. Re: Creating a DVD
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

If you're authoring a DVD, you don't have any choice in the resolution.  DVDs are standard-definition.  The horizontal & vertical pixel dimensions are 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL).

• 6. Re: Creating a DVD
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many DVD players will read MP4 and/or WMV files, so, if you know how it's going to be played back, you could include HD versions of your content on the DVD disc that will be able to be played at a much higher resolution than the DVD spec.

Alternatively, you could make a Blu-ray (which Encore also does).

• 7. Re: Creating a DVD
                    leesmartHWDS Level 1

It seems that original video are crisp right up to full screen, the DVD is more pixellated even at a medium size.

• 8. Re: Creating a DVD
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It seems that original video are crisp right up to full screen, the DVD is more pixellated even at a medium size.

Yes. According to what Dave and I said, that sounds exactly right.

• 9. Re: Creating a DVD
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the size and format of the original video? If it is HD then it will be down sampled to SD non square pixels and be less than 1/4 the resolution of HD. Those are standards that cannot be changed if you are building a DVD. Encore is capable of burning a BluRay and the burner can be had for under $100 so that's your only option for an authored disk with menu's and such that is going to playback video. YOU CAN build a menu that will play h.264 MP4's on some devices but you will loose the ability to put chapters and other interactivity on the MP4 video.

• 10. Re: Creating a DVD
                          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the length in minutes of the total videos? What bitrate are you using? I am assuming  you are exporting as MPEG2-DVD (it downrezzes from HD at that point) and importing to Encore.

Assuming less than an hour, keep the bitrate high; then make sure you are using an up-scaling DVD player (or almost any BD player).

You will see many discussions of this issue on the Premiere Pro, Adobe Media Encoder, and Encore forums.

• 11. Re: Creating a DVD
                            leesmartHWDS Level 1

Thanks all, I've tried various tutorials and had help from a colleague who does some video editing but to no avail. We received the original file as a 1.07gb.mov and .mp4. I've also tried exporting a PP project as an MPEG2 DVD to see how that comes out and it's still pixellating.

• 12. Re: Creating a DVD

If you are creating a DVD and you are playing it on an HD monitor then you are scaling the video up from 720 pixels wide to 1920 pixels wide so it's going to look a little pixelated. The only way to avoid that is to burn a BluRay or put a HD mp4 on a memory stick or copy it to a disk that a dvd player will read and play it from there. You said you received the original movie as an .mov and an mp4. What size is the original? How does it look? What is the codec used by the .mov file. It could anything, the file size makes no difference.

If it's pixelated then the movie is being scaled up when played back. If there are horrible compression artifacts that look like blocks of color then the data rate is too low. Without knowing the details of your original footage, your project or comp frame size and your render or export settings it's impossible to tell what's going on with your project.

• 13. Re: Creating a DVD
                                leesmartHWDS Level 1

The mp4 is 247mb, 1920x1080, H.264, AAC, 10:31 long.

The mov is 702 mb, 1920x1080, H.264, AAC.

Both play fine and clear.

My PP export settings are MPEG2 DVD, PAL DV Wide Progressive, Quailty 75%, 720x576 Frame Rate 25, Field Order Progressive, 16:9, PAL, Bit rate Encoding: VBR 1 Pass, Minimum BR: 2.8, Target BR: 5, Max BR: 7.

I export as this and when I bring it into Encore it becomes pixellated.

• 14. Re: Creating a DVD

Bring your original movie mp4 into Encore and do the compression there using the pal preset - providing the original movie is 25 fps. DO NOT use the h.264 QuickTime movie. H.264 Quicktime is not being supported by Apple, it's buggy and can cause all kinds of problems. Do not judge the render quality of the project in the Encore preview windows, create a disk image and preview that. If you view it at 100% - not full screen, it will look fine. If you preview it on an HD monitor full screen it will look pixelated because each pixel of the original is going to be about 6 pixels on the screen. Not exactly 6, but not 4 either so it's not going to look as good as the original. That's the facts and there is nothing you can do about it. The only way to improve the quality is to play back the DVD on a BluRay player that has some real good pixel scaling hardware built in. It still will not look as good as the original because it's about 1/3 the resolution.

Like I said before, if you want HD without scaling up you have to burn a BluRay not a DVD.

• 15. Re: Creating a DVD
                                    leesmartHWDS Level 1

Thank you, it has to be a DVD so I'll give a try. Being fairly new to this it helps to have it spelt out!