5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 1:54 AM by Peter Spier

Any way to hyphenate only selected text?

n will Level 1

Hi there,

I'm using Adobe InDesign CC and am wondering if there's any way to hyphenate only a selected portion of text, not the entire paragraph. I ask because I'm working with difficult block/pull quotes which only look better with minor hyphenation. If hyphenation isn't enabled, you can see the awkward justification in certain words. In the example below, I'd like to hyphenate only "capacity building is a key component" and see how that would look. I think one or two hyphens are fine, but any more makes the text look disruptive. Not all of the block quotes are like this, but this one and a couple others in particular ignore the hyphen limit setting. For instance, if I set the limit to two, I still see four hyphens (not including compound words). This is why I initially turned the hyphenation off.

8-5-2015 1-55-18 PM.jpg

• 1. Re: Any way to hyphenate only selected text?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hyphenation settings can be included in a paragraph style. Create a new paragraph style with the hyphenation settings and applied it to the selected paragraphs.

• 2. Re: Any way to hyphenate only selected text?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You can set up the hyphenation in a dictionary, use a tilde ~ for hyphenationpoints in words:

1 tilde is a primary hyphenation

2 tilde is secundary hyphenation

3 tilde is a possible hyphenation

1 tilde before a word does not allow hyphenation.

If you set a manual hyphenation before a word in the text it does not allow the hyphenation of that word.

But hyphenation should always be done via dictionary maintainance, it makes the best look, any manual hyphenation looks horrible in InDesign.

• 3. Re: Any way to hyphenate only selected text?
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Both the Justification and Hyphenation settings for the paragraph would have an effect. Hyphen Limit is the number of lines in sequence that can be hyphenated. Increasing before and after would limit the paragraph's total. Also, your measure is very narrow so increasing it by even by a small amount could help

Screen Shot 2015-08-05 at 7.27.51 PM.png

• 4. Re: Any way to hyphenate only selected text?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You can insert a Discretionary Hyphen manually (Insert Special Character -> Hyphens and Dashes). Despite (global) hyphenation being off, InDesign will still consider it a valid breaking point, and will use it if fitting.

You can insert one in "build·ing" and check if the rest of the blockquote looks better. In this case that only won't help right away. The "institutional" is a problem and you'd have to break that. And then "Natural" – well, and so on.

You may be better off with tinkering with the automatic settings after all. Note that with hyphenation on, you can inhibit a word from breaking by inserting a discretionary hyphen before the first character of a word – this signals InDesign to not break that one word.

• 5. Re: Any way to hyphenate only selected text?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)
                  You can set up the hyphenation in a dictionary, use a tilde ~ for hyphenationpoints in words:

1 tilde is a primary hyphenation

2 tilde is secundary hyphenation

3 tilde is a possible hyphenation

1 tilde before a word does not allow hyphenation.

If you set a manual hyphenation before a word in the text it does not allow the hyphenation of that word.

But hyphenation should always be done via dictionary maintainance, it makes the best look, any manual hyphenation looks horrible in InDesign.

If you change the dictionary, though, you change hyphenation for the word WHEREVER it appears, regardless of the style....