10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 11:11 AM by johnrellis

sticky start up

Danevander

This may have been submitted before, but I could not locate it. I have used LR since version 1 and the one major enhancement that could save me a lot of time is for Lightroom to startup with all of the settings it had on the last exit. So any collections, keywords image selections, etc. would be active.

• 1. Re: sticky start up
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand. If you are opening the same catalog then everything you have done should still be in place. This would include all adjustments, any collections you have created, any keywords you have entered, etc.

• 2. Re: sticky start up
            Danevander Level 1

Jim, Sorry, I may not have stated this very well and it is possible that I am the only one to  have this problem, but I have seen this issue on both of my computers. It is not that my modifications/adjustments are not saved. The issue I have is for instance that If I were editing a set of images in a given keyword then when I re-startup Lightroom I have to scroll down the keyword list and re-select that keyword to get just that set. Granted the last image I had selected does indeed show up as selected, but it is more like I'm in "all images" not just that particular keyword set. What I am trying to get is the situation that whenever I start Lightroom I see on the monitor exactly what I had the last time I shut down. What is sticky is the last image I had selected and the module I was in. But having to get to the keyword selection and other more specific selection criteria seems to not be remembered. Thanks

• 3. Re: sticky start up
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now I understand, and I see what you mean. I don't have an answer for that one. I find that if I have a group of images highlighted those highlighted selections remain. But the key word filter doesn't stick.

• 4. Re: sticky start up
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                But having to get to the keyword selection and other more specific selection criteria seems to not be remembered.

Interesting.  In my LR CC 2015.1.1, the setting of the Keyword column in the Library Filter bar is remembered across restarts of LR:

Untitled.png

Which version of LR are you on?

Try resetting LR's preferences: Resetting the lightroom preferences file - updated - Lightroom Forums. An amazing number of user-interface problems are fixed this way.

If that doesn't work, perhaps you could post full-resolution screenshots of the entire LR window right before exiting and right after startup.  That might give some clues.

• 5. Re: sticky start up
                  Danevander Level 1

Jim, Thanks. John, I had tried this before (pref reset)  But I just tried it again and it it had no effect. As noted before, this has been an issue for me since Lightroom first came out and of course the prefs and even the catalog has been recreated over the years. Yes, I am running LR CC 2015.1.1. I suspect this is just one of those "features" no one has yet addressed and I have no way to get to the Lightroom Developers to suggest that they take the time to keep our workflows a bit simpler. I can't/won't keep my system up 24/7 (which would at least eliminate the issue) and I suspect this affects all users (at least on Windows), it just never seems to have come up. Thank you.

• 6. Re: sticky start up
                    I suspect this is just one of those "features" no one has yet addressed

As I mentioned above, the Library Filter settings, including the Keyword column settings, are remembered across restarts in my LR.   So I don't think this is a missing feature -- rather, there's something different between your configuration and mine, or a bug.

Perhaps you could post full-resolution screenshots of the entire LR window right before exiting and right after startup.  That might give some clues as to why you're not observing what I am.

• 7. Re: sticky start up
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Danevander wrote:

The issue I have is for instance that If I were editing a set of images in a given keyword then when I re-startup Lightroom I have to scroll down the keyword list and re-select that keyword to get just that set. Granted the last image I had selected does indeed show up as selected, but it is more like I'm in "all images" not just that particular keyword set.

I see the exact same behavior on Windows 7 with LR CC 2015.1.1. Set a Filter with a specific Metadata Keyword, close LR, open LR, and the Filter says 'None.' The last selected image is still selected, but with no filter applied so all images are visible. This occurs without shutting down Windows–Just close and reopen LR.

• 8. Re: sticky start up

Your screen shots make it instantly clear what's going on, thanks.  The differences we're observing are due to whether the Library Filter is locked or not (the padlock is closed).

LR always remembers the current Library Filter bar selections across restarts of LR.

However, when File > Library Filters > Lock Filters is not checked (the padlock is open), then after restarting LR, the filters will always be off (disabled).   Doing File > Library Filters > Enable Filters will re-enable the filters with all the previous filter settings.   (See that menu command for the keyboard shortcut in your language.)

When Lock Filters is checked, then after restarting LR, the filters enabled state will be whatever it was when you exited -- if they were enabled when you exited, they will be enabled after restart.

So Danevandar, you have two options:

- Lock the filters by doing File > Library Filters > Lock Filters.  (There are two kinds of LR users -- those who always lock filters and those who never lock filters.)

- After restarting LR, do File > Library Filters > Enable Filters to recover your previous filter settings.

If you want to run with your filters unlocked and you want the previous filters enabled state to be restored after a restart, you could file a feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom

• 9. Re: sticky start up
                          Danevander Level 1

John, Wow! For the record, it is 113 degrees out right now and my wife needed to go shopping, so I just got back. Anyway, I tried setting the filter lock and now everything works as I would have wanted. Two things: First, there are more than just two types of users, the third type are those of us who did not know of this filter thing, and now that I do I will share it with my fellow photography club members (yes, I do teach Lightroom). And second, I am very impressed that there are people like you that know the product well enough to see the problem right away and are willing to take the time to red posts and share your knowledge. Thank you all for your help.

I do have an unrelated question and if you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful. The "other" thing about Lightroom that is a bit of a problem is when I edit in PS (yes CC 2015) from Lightroom, sometimes when I save and close the image in PS it does not show in LR. I can tell Lightroom knows of the new edited image because of the 2/2 indicator in the filmstrip and the fact that the keyword counter goes up by 1. To see the image I seem to need to close and restart Lightroom. This is another problem I have had since day one. Might just be another setting?

• 10. Re: sticky start up
                            I do have an unrelated question and if you can point me in the right direction that would be helpful. The "other" thing about Lightroom that is a bit of a problem is when I edit in PS (yes CC 2015) from Lightroom, sometimes when I save and close the image in PS it does not show in LR. I can tell Lightroom knows of the new edited image because of the 2/2 indicator in the filmstrip and the fact that the keyword counter goes up by 1. To see the image I seem to need to close and restart Lightroom. This is another problem I have had since day one. Might just be another setting?

Best to start a new thread on this issue -- I'll be traveling the next 10 days and not online most of the time, but I'm sure others will be available to help.  The first thing to check, though, is to select All Photographs as the source, disable filters File > Library Filters > Enable Filters, and expand all stacks with Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks.