• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra Credit Questions?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long story short: is there any way to increment a user's score on a quiz without incrementing the number of points possible?

Long story long:

I would like to create a branched adaptive quiz that is set up so that users are given a question worth 3 points.  If they get the question right, they move on to the next 3-point question.  If they get the question wrong, I would like to give them 3 1-point questions that give them the chance to "make up" the missing 3 points.

I have the branching working correctly.  The logic is there.  But I do not seem to be able to manipulate the total score and/or the total points possible manually.

In my sample, which is worth 5 points, here are a couple of scenarios.

Scenario 1:

Q1: User gets 3/3

Q2: User gets 2/2

Final Score: 5/5

Scenario 2:

Q1: User gets 0/3

Q1a: User gets 1/1  I would like this to be 1/0.

Q1b: User gets 1/1

Q1c: User gets 1/1

Q2: User gets 2/2

Final Score: 5/8.  I would like this to show 5/5.

I also tried to fake this out with my LMS by having SCORM report just the points the user acquired and forcing the assessment to be worth only 5 points.  My thought was that each scenario would return 5 points (the number the user scored) and that would solve the issue.  However, in Scenario 1 5 points was reported, but in Scenario 2, 3.13 points were sent to the LMS.  It still calculated the ratio of points awarded to points possible.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot manipulate the total score, the quizzing system variables are read only. If you have scored questions/objects for 8 points, the total score will always be 8 points. Only with Branch aware can you have a dynamic total score, but here you do not have two different branches. The user who failed in the first branch will take the second one as well. You could "cheat", will try to explain. A similar situation is explained in more detail here: Report Custom Questions - part 2 - Captivate blog

I have no time to double check, but the idea is to have Branch aware checked. And here is the scenario for the two groups that are opposite: 'good' have both first question correct, bad have none correct. Now you need to create two branches, so that both have exactly the same total score, in this example 10 points.

1. For the 'bad' student, no problem, they'll have the branch with all your questions
  2. For the 'good' student, they'll skip the second sequence of questions, but on a slide they only will see you add a scored object (button, TEB, click box, shape button) to which you attach exactly the same total score as the 5 questions in the second sequence, 5 points.

Not all scenarios are there, I know but do you see the idea? You probably will need two extra scored buttons, one with 2 and one with 3 points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, that's the path I was going down.  Good to have some similar thoughts.

This would get very confusing for a long interaction, but for short quizzes it should work just fine. 

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources