3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2015 5:20 AM by instanes1

Launch time increases and increases.......is there a fix?

instanes1

Ever since updating to Lightroom 6CC the launch time has be very frustrating. I have tried signing out of Creative Cloud, renaming the SLCache and SLStore folders and then signing back in. This initially improves the launch time to almost immediate launch of the splash screen and then maybe less than 5 seconds to thumbnails. However, then each successive launch of LR, the time increases. I may not even use LR for a day or two and then when I do, the launch time increases to the range of 25-40 seconds to thumbnails.

I have increased my cache size, unchecked the use of the graphics processor etc. 

I patiently waited for an update and have updated LR as per the following system info. This solved many of the develop module sluggish response issues, but this launch time issue is very annoying. I truly want to keep using this program, so am hoping that someone can suggest a solution or a future update will result in a consistent and fast launch time.

System Info:

Lightroom version: CC 2015.1.1 [ 1032027 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [4]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3.2 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 562.4 MB (3.4%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2,354.4 MB

Memory cache size: 126.6 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Displays: 1) 2048x1152

Graphics Processor Info:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX OpenGL Engine

I have about 60,000 images in LR.

Thanks for your time and will appreciate any and all replies.

• 1. Re: Launch time increases and increases.......is there a fix?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it faster if the computer is not online?

Also, I presume you have run a File > Optimise Catalog?

• 2. Re: Launch time increases and increases.......is there a fix?
            instanes1 Level 1

John, it is lightening fast when I went off line.  However, then when I went back on-line again it was just as fast.  Let me experiment with this a bit.  I do optimize the catalog on each and every exit(well at least once a day when I am using the program).

Thanks for the reply....will post again after I have ran a few more online off line comparisons.

Stan

• 3. Re: Launch time increases and increases.......is there a fix?
              instanes1 Level 1

Status Update:

As stated previously, launch of LR while off line is almost instantaneous.  Then when back on-line it would gradually degrade over time.

I used my Disk Utility App to Verify the disk and there were no problems, however I also used the Verify Disk Permissions.  There was a great number of discrepancies reported.  I ran the Repair Disk Permissions and it repaired all but a handful. I am not sure of the meaning of these incorrect permissions remaining, but they appeared to deal mostly with a printer that I have.

Since Repairing Permissions, the launch times are now either instantaneous or at the most about 15 seconds. This seems acceptable to me.

In another forum someone mentioned that they leave LR running in the background and exit once a week to back up the catalog.  Thought this was a good suggestion to try.....if only to let my frustration rest.  :-)

Stan

PS:  Just curious.  If one goes off-line, launches LR and then goes back on-line while LR is running.....is there a downside to that????